Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+3
Helen
KB
Coastman
7 posters

Dandy Destiny Buckled Corner Steady

Coastman
    Coastman

Dandy Destiny Buckled Corner Steady Empty Dandy Destiny Buckled Corner Steady

Post by Coastman Thu 28 Nov 2013, 9:32 am

Just bought a Destiny High Side in good shape apart from two corner steadies slightly buckled.
    Any ideas whether they need fixing and if they do how please?
    KB

Dandy Destiny Buckled Corner Steady Empty Re: Dandy Destiny Buckled Corner Steady

Post by KB Thu 28 Nov 2013, 10:22 am

Hi,

I'm not sure if your corner steadies remain 'fit for purpose'; I suppose the only way to be satisfied would be to test them when the Destiny is set up and check for movement.

Corner steadies tend to get distorted if they have been improperly used to jack up the unit or if the unit has been towed with the steadies down, so much depends upon the degree to which they have been damaged.

On the positive side, replacements do not seem to be too expensive to come by - I saw these on E-Bay:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

May be better to replace them if necessary rather than attempting a repair.

Hope this helps
    Coastman
    Coastman

Dandy Destiny Buckled Corner Steady Empty Corner Steadies

Post by Coastman Thu 28 Nov 2013, 12:33 pm

KB wrote:Hi,

I'm not sure if your corner steadies remain 'fit for purpose'; I suppose the only way to be satisfied would be to test them when the Destiny is set up and check for movement.

Corner steadies tend to get distorted if they have been improperly used to jack up the unit or if the unit has been towed with the steadies down, so much depends upon the degree to which they have been damaged.

On the positive side, replacements do not seem to be too expensive to come by - I saw these on E-Bay:

May be better to replace them if necessary rather than attempting a repair.

Hope this helps
    Thanks.  I'll try winding them down with a better winder ans see if it firms up the unit.  If it doesn't, I will look for replacements.

Some basic tips if you can please.  Should the unit be supported when in use on the wheels and possibly jockey as well as the steadies?  I suspect it had been stored  or used lifted entirely on the steadies.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Dandy Destiny Buckled Corner Steady Empty Re: Dandy Destiny Buckled Corner Steady

Post by Helen Thu 28 Nov 2013, 12:49 pm

When you wind the legs down don't use them to level the unit (should be level before winding them down) as this could twist the chassis as could putting too much pressure on the steadies when winding down, you'll feel it the minute you need to stop winding. They are what they say on the tin ...... steadies.
    KB

Post by KB Thu 28 Nov 2013, 12:57 pm

Hi,

The corner steadies are simply there to steady the unit; they are not designed to be used as levelers or jacks. To level the unit always use a ramp or similar device under the wheels to level the axle.

I'm not sure how the steadies are attached to the Destiny but they may be bolted to the wooden floor or to the chassis members. In either case, if too much strain is applied to the steadies causing distortion this may also have caused damage to the wooden floor, its attachment to the chassis or the chassis itself. It may be best to check this since any damage could lead to problems.

Best advice, and there seems to be plenty on the Net (Google 'Proper use of corner steadies') seems to be never apply too much force when lowering the steadies.

Use the steadies and the jockey wheel (which is used when leveling) when the unit is stored or on site.
    Coastman
    Coastman

Dandy Destiny Buckled Corner Steady Empty Corner steadies

Post by Coastman Thu 28 Nov 2013, 1:17 pm

KB wrote:Hi,

The corner steadies are simply there to steady the unit; they are not designed to be used as levelers or jacks. To level the unit always use a ramp or similar device under the wheels to level the axle.

I'm not sure how the steadies are attached to the Destiny but they may be bolted to the wooden floor or to the chassis members. In either case, if too much strain is applied to the steadies causing distortion this may also have caused damage to the wooden floor, its attachment to the chassis or the chassis itself. It may be best to check this since any damage could lead to problems.

Best advice, and there seems to be plenty on the Net (Google 'Proper use of corner steadies') seems to be never apply too much force when lowering the steadies.

Use the steadies and the jockey wheel (which is used when leveling) when the unit is stored or on site.
    Thanks again yes Ill check as you've said and use google!
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 28 Nov 2013, 2:39 pm

I think we have mentioned replacing corner steadies once before. Are the ones on a Destiny an awkward size?
    Think I remember someone trying to find a replacement but can't find the piece. Conversely I could be thinking about another unit on another forum. Anyone remember anything about the steady size?
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 28 Nov 2013, 2:46 pm

Looked again and found it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Fri 29 Nov 2013, 1:15 pm

Something that I noticed may be of interest here, the steadies on the thre'penny bit destinies fold inwards but the plastic ended ones fold outwards.

Would this reduce the moment by approx 20% and therefore the load on the steady when the beds are occupied Question scratch
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 29 Nov 2013, 5:46 pm

jake001 wrote:Something that I noticed may be of interest here, the steadies on the thre'penny bit destinies fold inwards but the plastic ended ones fold outwards.

Would this reduce the moment by approx 20% and therefore the load on the steady when the beds are occupied Question scratch
    I was going to clarify this for anyone who didn't do maths with mechanics and was unsure of the term moment. So I Googled "Maths Moments" and terrified myself (see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Aparently moments in maths are statistical events I wanted moments in Physics.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Jake man of your talents is surely teasing. The moment on the steady that folds outwards is the same as on the one folding inwards it is the force to produce that moment that is reduced for the steady foot that is furthest away from the wheel. Is the wheel or the other steady the axis point?

Actually if the beds remained constant at 4' (1.22 metres) the maximum static load would be reduced as the body is 81cm longer so the steadies leverage increases by an additional 40.5 cm.

c of g bed 122/2. moment required at steady is mass of bed occupants X g (ignore as we can use Kg force instead of newtons) M X (61 + 355(ish)/2)= F x355(ish)/2 = M X 239 = F X 178 therefore F = 1.343 X Mass of the bed user
    The older Destiny M x (61 + 274(- a bit because the steadies are inboard)/2) = F X 274 (-bit)/2 = M X 198 = F X 137 therefore F= 1.445 X mass of the bed user.

In reality I think a greater force will be exerted by users moving within as the rate of change of load becomes important. Though the greatest forces would still be be through steady abuse.
    navver

Post by navver Fri 29 Nov 2013, 9:55 pm

And I always thought a moment was the amount of time a woman takes to get ready.
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Sat 30 Nov 2013, 11:53 pm

navver wrote:And I always thought a moment was the amount of time a woman takes to get ready.
    lol!  Dandy Destiny Buckled Corner Steady 1710857839 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 9:44 pm