Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

3 posters

Car buying

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Car buying Empty Car buying

Post by mike Fri 10 Jan 2014, 6:00 am

Thinking I may change our car soon and whilst dandy towing still isnt high on my agenda it is something I hope to return to in the future.
    I am still of the opinion a small engine and car is the best solution for our needs to this end ime looking at the Dacia Sandero or Stepway version,the 1.2lt 16v would do the job and if I go for the sandero its the one I would choose,if I go for the stepway version that engine isnt an option you can get the 3 cylinder turbo Renault in petrol or the 1.5 Renault diesel,the diesel isnt cost effective over 5 years on my mileage,done the calculations including road tax ect,

So looking at the power figures below do you think the 900cc turbo petrol would do the job,bear in mind my camping will only be local or Norfolk,Wales Scotland ect just wont happen.

1.2  16v ------------   900cc turbo              
    Peak power KW (HP) @ RPM     55 (75) @ 5,500            66 (90) @ 5,250
    Peak torque (Nm) @ RPM          107 @ 4,250                      135 @ 2,500

The manufactures limit on the towing of braked trailers fits the dandy  on both,in fact if you reduce the maximum  load in the car from the quoted 559kg its up to 1100kg braked.
    I wouldn’t be changing the Punto its 5 years old with 20000 miles but lifestyle dictates we need a 5 door car, on my pension now so don’t intend to spend amounts of money that would mean me returning to work,the Dacia with a 5 year or 60000 mile warranty is a cheap option.

Thanks

mike
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Car buying Empty Re: Car buying

Post by Tow Itch Fri 10 Jan 2014, 7:07 pm

Mike wrote:So looking at the power figures below do you think the 900cc turbo petrol would do the job,bear in mind my camping will only be local or Norfolk,Wales Scotland ect just wont happen.

Alas with not being able to find any 06 to 12 model Puntos on Parkers used vehicles I can't compare the current car to what you are looking at. Though it all looks good for the Dacia.
    I would have thought that the smaller 3 cylinder engine with the turbocharger looks like the better option. It's not the higher power its the greater torque at lower revs that interests. 26% more torque than the 1.2 engine. OK it's not the same torque as the 1.5 diesel but try and look up the torque compared to your Punto. I'd guess that you might be pleased.

There seem to be quite a few manufacturers using smaller petrol engines with turbochargers. Mercedes have been doing it for a while. My brother had an estate with a 1.6 petrol turbo and my mates new saloon is similarly sized.

Seeing that the vehicle has an electronic stability control I'd find out what is supposed to happen when it realises that the vehicle is towing. Do any of the parameters change. Probably not a question for the lying twit salesman at the dealership.  

Given that the 6 was supposed to be able to be towed by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] then I would have thought that you should have few issues.

Is it just the styling or is the body on the Stepway running higher off the ground than the standard Sandero?
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 11 Jan 2014, 5:33 am

Kevin thanks for taking the time to answer,had a dig around and found the figures for the punto which i have added in red.

1.2  16v ------------   900cc turbo              
    Peak power KW (HP) @ RPM     55 (75) @ 5,500            66 (90) @ 5,250
    Peak torque (Nm) @ RPM          107 @ 4,250                      135 @ 2,500

Peak power                          48kw  65bhp @5,500
    Max Torque                           102nm  @   3000

The punto is only an 8 valve so that may account for some of the difference in the 1.2 engines

The stepway has 40mm more clearance some via 16 inch wheels the rest with suspension changes ,this may not be an advantage when towing but we tend to enjoy grabbing a couple of hours when we can at local picnic areas some of which we cant take the punto completely into due to uneven surfaces and its poor ground clearance.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 11 Jan 2014, 7:41 am

Just to add we are giving slight consideration to the diesel,we have started a mileage log over the next few weeks to see if me being at home will increase it ,thus changing the economics of the diesel
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 11 Jan 2014, 12:36 pm

Kevin just for a laugh  affraid 

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sat 11 Jan 2014, 3:01 pm

D'oh. I will learn to read at some point. I was certain that I'd seen the torque figures with RPM but then couldn't find them. Ah yes they are in your original post!

So not only a 26% increase in torque but at less than 60% of the revs of the 1.2 16v. OK still not the 220 nm at 1,750 RPM but that might not be needed. Have you thought of a test drive to see how it feels?
    I'm a big diesel fan but haven't driven one of these newer range of petrol turbo engines.

I've pulled up at proper e brochure now to look at the details.

To be a pedant (For a change) I'd got a 38 mm increase in height from 761mm t0 799mm unladen sill height. I wasn't thinking about that for off road jaunts more in terms of loading and offloading the mother in law and unfortunately yourself an Nancy as the years progress. It might only be 1,6 inch or so but it all helps.

Additional pedant moment.
    Kerb Weight (Excluding Driver) 1,023Kg Unladen Weight On Front Axle 630Kg Unladen Weight On Rear Axle 393Kg
    So that would be unladen weight not kerb weight then.

I'm not quite sure what the point is of the absolutely poverty spec Dacias is now given the electronics demanded by legislation.

On that point I'd investigate what the ESP is supposed to do when towing. Does it sense the coupling and change the settings. Then I'd sort carefully the towbar fitter.

Got sidetracked while replying. While searching for Dacia Sanderos I found a link from Lookers offering "Massive Discounts" alas after tryping on a live feed I saw the offers were: Cars with the metallic paint offered at the price of the basic white cars. Thing is not only were they already in stock but they had been pre registered. Buying a new car but being the second name on the log book for a saving of £500 isn't a massive saving to me. It was explained that a suitable deal could be discussed with a sales person. This is the odd thing to me it seems cars are the only product advertised with a higher ticket price than the seller expects to receive.

Are we shunting our conversation about your car buying elsewhere because it's not really based on towing licences or law? I'm only raising this before Helen ticks us both off.

Is the title of this section based on the granting of permissions "Licenses" or the possession of the documents "Licences". Have I got that bit of English the right way round I'm not too good at English. That question doesn't apply anymore as I've split this section off and given it a new title.

Last edited by Tow Itch on Sat 11 Jan 2014, 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 11 Jan 2014, 3:39 pm

To be a pedant (For a change) I'd got a 38 mm increase in height from 761mm t0 799mm unladen sill height. I wasn't thinking about that for off road jaunts more in terms of loading and offloading the mother in law and unfortunately yourself an Nancy as the years progress. It might only be 1,6 inch or so but it all helps.

You are right these are things we have considered apart from off road,if you can call it that.

I'm not quite sure what the point is of the absolutely poverty spec Dacias is now given the electronics demanded by legislation.

It allows them to advertise the cheapest new car in the uk  affraid dont think they care if they sell that model or not

Got sidetracked while replying. While searching for Dacia Sanderos I found a link from Lookers offering "Massive Discounts" alas after tryping on a live feed I saw the offers were: Cars with the metallic paint offered at the price of the basic white cars. Thing is not only were they already in stock but they had been pre registered. Buying a new car but being the second name on the log book for a saving of £500 isn't a massive saving to me. It was explained that a suitable deal could be discussed with a sales person. This is the odd thing to me it seems cars are the only product advertised with a higher ticket price than the seller expects to receive.

Discounts on dacia are not easy to get,although we where offered a discount if we took the showroom model,i think it was to boost there pre march the 1st registrations

Have you thought of a test drive to see how it feels

On our list of things to do

On that point I'd investigate what the ESP is supposed to do when towing. Does it sense the coupling and change the settings

Will do

This thread could do with moving but not sure i can remember how  Very Happy 

Thanks for the time you have put in Kevin i will keep you updated
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 19 Feb 2014, 10:53 am

Kevin this is the conclusion to the thread,we bought the demonstrator 900cc turbo petrol,not sure if it would tow or not but if i had wanted that i would have got the 1.5 turbo diesel.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It goes well in town and i feel it will do what we need out of town,ceramic paint protection,metallic paint, 5 year 60 thousand mile mechanical warranty paint and anti perforation warranty £8800 list price,not worried about depreciation it could lose the lot over 5 years and still be better value than most cars.

As you can see being my car it needs washing already  Very Happy 
    KB

Post by KB Wed 19 Feb 2014, 4:23 pm

Hi Mike,

I only noticed this thread when you made your final post so was too late to make any contribution.

In any event, I hope you're happy with your choice; it certainly looks the part.

Whenever I need to find out anything about the practicalities of car ownership I tend to reach out for the 'Honest John' section of Saturday's Telegraph and he does a full review of every model (and some older ones) on line, see:

He gives the Dacia a glowing report so it seems you did well!

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 19 Feb 2014, 5:25 pm

KB wrote:Hi Mike,

I only noticed this thread when you made your final post so was too late to make any contribution.

In any event, I hope you're happy with your choice; it certainly looks the part.

Whenever I need to find out anything about the practicalities of car ownership I tend to reach out for the 'Honest John' section of Saturday's Telegraph and he does a full review of every model (and some older ones) on line, see:

He gives the Dacia a glowing report so it seems you did well!

Thanks Honest John was one of the reviews i read before deciding. his and many more including James May and Richard Hammond as somebody said don't expect champagne motoring for lemonade money  Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 4:28 pm