Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Broken jockey wheel clamp screw lever

Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Broken jockey wheel clamp screw lever  Empty Broken jockey wheel clamp screw lever

Post by Nick on Sat 09 Jul 2011, 1:06 pm

After packing away yesterday we went to attach our dandy to the car,i wanted to turn the jockey wheel assembly round 180 degree's so the pull handle was facing the right way.So Vicky held dandy while i slackened off jockey wheel.I then quickly turned the handle round,then went to re tighten the clamp and the screw in clamp handle came away,as the thread was shot.I panicked as Vicky was holding dandy.So i took over while she got jack out of car to prop A Frame.We managed to push trailer and drop hitch over towball.Then we had to get it sorted as we had a jockey wheel assembly in boot of car and no way of controlling the trailer when we got home.Luckily we go past Catterick Caravans on the way home so we popped in there and got a replacement for £5,so we could re attach the jockey wheel and pull it into the yard.My back is aching today as the hitch weight is about 35kg,i am so relieved the thread in the nut is okay as its welded to the chassis.I cannot understand how the thread was so worn on the screw though??
This is the part that was broken [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

P.S the home made lemon meringue pie at Catterick caravans cafe is lush
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Broken jockey wheel clamp screw lever  Empty Re: Broken jockey wheel clamp screw lever

Post by mike on Sat 09 Jul 2011, 2:06 pm

Erm some people give them a kick for that last bit of tightening affraid not me of course Laughing
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Broken jockey wheel clamp screw lever  Empty Re: Broken jockey wheel clamp screw lever

Post by Helen on Sat 09 Jul 2011, 7:57 pm

Over tightening could have stripped the threads, its not necessary to tighten it that much. Evil or Very Mad
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 6:03 am

helen wrote:Over tightening could have stripped the threads, its not necessary to tighten it that much. Evil or Very Mad

Its a man thing Laughing
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 12:10 pm

Dear All

I too have been guilty of that school of tightening that says tight is "Just to the point of stripping the threads then back off a quarter of a turn". Yet before you beat up on yourself.
In this case what is the thread of the bar M8 or similar. I would suggest that the handle of the bar does not give the same purchase as a 13mm AF spanner. (Size of bolt head for M8) So you wont exert the same sort of force that you would on a bolt.
There are a lot of poorly produced threads on cheap components. Certainly not up to B.S. specs or should it be I.S.O. for metric.
Undersized threads, possibly intentionally undersized so hit and miss zinc or chrome plating doesn't cause the thread to stick.
Couple that with monkey metal steel and failure is not that surprising.
Feel the give between the nut and handle thread then compare that to a high quality nut and bolt of the same thread. You will feel the difference,

Kevin.
vickoir
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 12:17 pm

this was the problem with ours kevin the threaded bar steel was very soft poor grade and had stripped the first 8 or 9 threads off so couldn't get the clamp to tighten when jockey wheel was in take it out however and thereby reducing dia of clamp there was enough thread left to tighten it but we bought a better graded steel bar with a good sturdy molded handle so shouldn't happen ever again and now i know about it will make it part of our maintenance schedule
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 1:15 pm

it does makes sense to have a 2 different grades of steel,with different levels of hardness.The softer steel will bite into the harder nut thread,but also its less likely to seize up.The thread is pretty slack with loads of tolerance,there is no precision in either thread.I am glad the nut has the harder thread cos that little bugger is welded to the A Frame.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 4:20 pm

Nick B

The softer steel will bite into the harder nut thread,but also its less likely to seize up
Well apart from thinking the harder will bite into the softer I sort of see where your going. Hard metal soft metal is used in plain metal bearings. Don't think it will help anti seize I would put more faith in a smidge of copperslip. In fact different metals promote electrolytic reactions. (Speak to Landrover Owners about where aluminium touches steel)
Now this touches on an important subject about when you grease or don't grease bolts.
A good few years ago I was striping the jaws off a lathe that had "Let Go" or released the item being turned.
As you may imagine something with a mass of 2Kg and revolving at anywhere between 800 and 2,000 rpm has a lot of energy in it.
Fortunately the lathe was fully enclosed.
The last person who had fitted new jaws (And who should have known a lot more than me) had removed the main pull bar and greased it.
High torque on the bolt, a varying load from clamped to unclamped and vibration from the lathe running meant that the greased bolt simply unwound and loosened.
So since then I've looked for a simple answer to when you might grease bolts to ease stripping and or prevent seizure and when you would not.
Still don't have a simple or even a complex logical answer.
I'd happily copperslip that jockey clamp but would never grease wheel nuts.
Any input from our new member Billy?

Kevin.
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 4:29 pm

i don't that much about how metals behave i suppose i should do as my parents until recently part owned [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] all i know is it was useful when i needed car Heads Skimming,threads being re cut or other things fabricated for free,they also had a nice selection of calendars hanging by the machines Broken jockey wheel clamp screw lever  2702329197

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 30 Mar 2020, 6:05 pm