Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+6
Helen
carl
vickoir
mike
Nick
Eilis
10 posters

new bungee replacement for dandy cover

Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

new bungee replacement for dandy cover Empty new bungee replacement for dandy cover

Post by Eilis Sat 09 Jul 2011, 3:18 pm

am currently looking for some 6mm bungee to replace what is on the dandy cover as Nick and Vicki noticed at Woodhall Spa that mine is getting old and perishing

However, i have a major problem in that i can't find any brown cord (god that sounds really sad now that i see it in writing lol)

i've looked on ebay without success except for one shop that sells military green (suitable colour) but only in 196ft lengths :-O bit long for my needs really

any suggestions??
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

new bungee replacement for dandy cover Empty Re: new bungee replacement for dandy cover

Post by Nick Sat 09 Jul 2011, 3:23 pm

how about this? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wouldn't black look ok as you have black tyres that's a males take on colour co ordination
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

new bungee replacement for dandy cover Empty Re: new bungee replacement for dandy cover

Post by Eilis Sat 09 Jul 2011, 3:31 pm

perfect thanks Nick Very Happy

was looking at the black cord but my eye started twitching cos it wouldn't match lol
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 09 Jul 2011, 5:31 pm

When replacing bungee cord do you measure round the trailer and make it that size, or a little less or a little more.

mike
    vickoir
    vickoir
    Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir Sat 09 Jul 2011, 5:38 pm

we measured the old cord mike think it comes in 10m lengths so we had enough left over to make 2 bungees for dandy roof nick will answer better as he done it pirat
    carl
    carl

Post by carl Sat 09 Jul 2011, 6:13 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    i think the one in the pic looks like it may be brown
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Sat 09 Jul 2011, 6:20 pm

thanks Carl, think it looks more black to me though Smile am going for the green one that nick found as i think it will go nicely with my brown dandy sunny
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Sat 09 Jul 2011, 6:30 pm

i measured round the trailer i think it was just over 7mtrs then its a nice fit Smile
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Sat 09 Jul 2011, 6:55 pm

i'll buy 10 and that way i have a bit of spare too Smile
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 09 Jul 2011, 8:01 pm

We just threaded ours through the eyelets in the cover and then tied it off. It pulls down easy enough over the buttons and isn't slack. Smile
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 10 Jul 2011, 6:12 am

Going to have to get a new cover so will that will solve the bungee thing,the new cover will go down to the top of the wheel arch so i have more space under for essential camping gear when travelling, the other mod i am working on is two press studs in the cover over the door so when being stored i can press stud a flap of pvc on that will cover the bottom of the wooden door.

mike
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 10 Jul 2011, 7:23 am

mike wrote:Going to have to get a new cover so will that will solve the bungee thing,the new cover will go down to the top of the wheel arch so i have more space under for essential camping gear when travelling, the other mod i am working on is two press studs in the cover over the door so when being stored i can press stud a flap of pvc on that will cover the bottom of the wooden door.

mike

I like the idea of covering the bottom of the door but on ours it would also cover the number plate Rolling Eyes For a 6, Destiny or Dimension with a side door then it will work a treat at protecting the bottom of the door.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 10 Jul 2011, 7:27 am

helen wrote:
    mike wrote:Going to have to get a new cover so will that will solve the bungee thing,the new cover will go down to the top of the wheel arch so i have more space under for essential camping gear when travelling, the other mod i am working on is two press studs in the cover over the door so when being stored i can press stud a flap of pvc on that will cover the bottom of the wooden door.

mike

I like the idea of covering the bottom of the door but on ours it would also cover the number plate Rolling Eyes For a 6, Destiny or Dimension with a side door then it will work a treat at protecting the bottom of the door.

Would only use it at home if its in a garage no problem but if its out side all year that's different.

mike
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 10 Jul 2011, 7:32 am

I would have used it on the road too if possible to stop the bottom of the wooden door getting mucky in transit.

When measuring for your trailer cover, please measure the old cover rather than the dandy, ours came back too big as we had taken the legs into account and I had to alter it to fit Embarassed We did have it made a bit deeper though. Smile
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Sun 18 Sep 2011, 8:35 pm

what's the best way of tying off the new bungee cord? my current one has lots of knots in it but there must be a neater and more secure way of doing it?

thanks x
    vickoir
    vickoir
    Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir Sun 18 Sep 2011, 9:20 pm

Eilis wrote:what's the best way of tying off the new bungee cord? my current one has lots of knots in it but there must be a neater and more secure way of doing it?

thanks x

just one knot is needed eilis,
    tie a big knot then thread through eyelets then when back where you started making sure enough to stretch to buttons undo first knot then tie ends together and trim off slack
    easy peasy
    your lots of knots are probably where it has snapped over the years
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Sun 18 Sep 2011, 9:29 pm

tie the not at the front where gas box is then its all out of sight behind the box Smile
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Mon 19 Sep 2011, 6:23 am

thanks guys, think you are right Vicki,as mine is very old and probably has snapped a few times lol

good idea to hide the knot in the box Nick, i wanted to keep it out of sight as it looks a bit amateurish with just a knot which is why i was convinced there was another way

plan to replace the bungee throughout the dandy as it's all a bit old and worn x
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:31 pm

i want to replace the bungee's on awning as they are too thick to double up on the side wall buttons when awning is attached Smile
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:34 pm

me too but also because they are old and a mess of knots and more knots
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:36 pm

well your bungee is probably 25years old so its had a good life,the good thing is its so cheap and easy to replace Smile
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:49 pm

NickB wrote:i want to replace the bungee's on awning as they are too thick to double up on the side wall buttons when awning is attached Smile

Think that was a standard thing,ours have been replaced with thinner and are a lot better.
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Mon 19 Sep 2011, 4:00 pm

they were obviously not clever enough at the factory to figure out the 2x6mm bungee's don't work on a single button.I seem to remember our previous Dandy had slightly thinner bungee on the awning and wings.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:25 pm

Our Dandys cover has a single loop per hook as opposed to a single continuous loop around the trailer.

Thinking about this, I wonder if this method could be safer, if a bungee breaks then only one loop is affected so the whole lot wont unravel. Or does the bungee tend not to break in transit?
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:42 pm

Our old cover had single loops per hook. When the new one came it has one continuous bungee round it.
    We think the single looped one held down better.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 3:55 am