Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

2 posters

Tyvek - this stuff may be useful

KB

Tyvek - this stuff may be useful Empty Tyvek - this stuff may be useful

Post by KB Sun 09 Mar 2014, 12:18 pm

Hi All,

By chance I across the following U Tube clip about making sleeping bag covers using Tyvek. The guy who made the clip does go a little (well, a lot really!) off topic but does quite a thorough job of explaining how to prepare the material to reduce noise (he puts it through a rinse cycle in an automatic washer and tumble dries it with some bath towels on a cool setting) and how to fix the stuff together.

Just in case the above doesn't work, the link is:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I wondered if anyone has considered using Tyvek for Dandy related items like, insulation or trailer covers?

The stuff might also come in useful for repairs because it is light, easily fixed, durable, breathable and yet waterproof.

More information about Tyvek can be found on the DuPont web-site:

Perhaps best of all, the stuff seems to be quite reasonable in price when compared to the alternatives around.

and for larger quantities:

It may be possible to buy surplus from someone in the roofing trade to try this stuff out.

I'm sure someone else has come across this stuff before so, if this post is in the wrong place, please feel free to re-position it.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Tyvek - this stuff may be useful Empty Re: Tyvek - this stuff may be useful

Post by Tow Itch Sun 09 Mar 2014, 10:35 pm

I did wonder at first as hopefully most people owning Dandys won't need bivvy bags but then I saw your thoughts about other projects.
    Not instantly thought of anything Dandy based but maybe others can see more possibilities.
    If you want a more fabric like Tyvek then you could also repeatedly scrunch it up.

Quite a few different grades of Tyvek but I saw no obvious guide to the different forms.

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 12:20 am