Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

3 posters

Wheel bearing type

Tant

Wheel bearing type Empty Wheel bearing type

Post by Tant Sat 29 Mar 2014, 5:27 pm

Hello All

I'm not an owner myself, but one of my friends has just bought a Dandy and I'm going to help him change the wheel bearings as part of a refurb he wants to do.

Trouble is, I'm not sure what type of bearings they will be (or brakes as well which we plan to change)

Any help in identifying the bearings required and any fitting tips would be appreciated.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    navver

Wheel bearing type Empty Re: Wheel bearing type

Post by navver Sat 29 Mar 2014, 7:03 pm

They are taper roller bearings and inner with oil seal and an outer. The outer shells are pressed into the drum and can be removed and refitted with a drift but I got the shells fitted at a trailer workshop.

The inner and outer bearings have a different number as one has an oil seal and the other doesn't. The number is stamped into the bearing so you should be able to identify it when you have removed it.

Chock the wheels, jack up and remove the wheel. Remove the dust cap then the split pin and castellated nut and washer. The break drum then comes off easily as long as the hand brake isn't on. The bearings come away with it.

Get the shells changed, pack the bearings with bearing grease and refit. The oil seal bearing goes on first. Tighten the castellated nut while rotating the drum. The nut should not be tight, finger tight or so only, and there should be no play. Tighten and loosen, tighten and loosen as you rotate the drum until it feels right. Then fit a new split pin, cap etc.

I removed both of mine and took them to Honeyfield trailers in Bristol who had the bearings in stock. They also fitted the shells for me.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 30 Mar 2014, 9:47 am

Thread on brakes [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Is very informative.

The best guide how to is within the Indespension Trailer Guide.

It will slow the job down but any bearing shop will identify the bearings if you take them in.

Do get your mate to say hello on their own account.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 4:28 am