Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Leveling a dandy folding camper

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Leveling a dandy folding camper Empty Leveling a dandy folding camper

Post by mike on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 6:40 am

A simple piece of kit laid on the a frame to check if your unit is level,most will know about theme but a few may not.

mike

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Leveling a dandy folding camper Empty Re: Leveling a dandy folding camper

Post by Helen on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 7:29 am

I must get one and super epoxy it to our frame, we have had a few levels over the years but always end up being unable to find ours when we need it as its either under everything in the car boot or left behind by accident at some campsite or other. Crying or Very sad
vickoir
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 11:01 am

we have a similar one of these on our dandy

think it was about 3 quid on ebay but most camping shops sell them too
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 11:06 am

mike wrote:A simple piece of kit laid on the a frame to check if your unit is level,most will know about theme but a few may not.

mike

i have one like this screwed inside the dandy by a previous owner, the only problem is you've put the dandy up fully before you can see it lol

keep meaning to get one for use on the frame but so far i've managed to level it pretty well by looking and then checking the level inside when i'm finished
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 1:07 pm

Dear All

Please don't buy spirit level devices off ebay.
Buy them from a shop. The reason for this is most cheap spirit levels are out.
I don't mean slightly as in "Oh It Doesn't Matter It's Almost Level" I mean to the point where you will often be better off by eye.
To test a spirit level. Place it on a surface, look at the bubble position. Turn the level 180 degrees and look again. If the bubble isn't in the same position the level is useless.
i.e. if the edge of the bubble is touching a mark on the left hand side when you turn it round the edge of the bubble should touch the mark on the left hand side.
Obviously these devices contain two levels so each needs to be checked.
How to check a circular one like Vicky's ???? I can only think to place on a "Known" level surface. So that precludes almost anything a builder or a joiner has put up. ( it's easy to be brave when people don't know who you are!)
Please don't believe me. Next time your in a cheap D.I.Y. shop play with a few of the spirit levels.
What do you mean you can't their all in sealed plastic packages. I wonder why that is?
The last time i bought a cheap spirit level in a hurry I had gone through 3 cheap ones and asked to remove a slightly more expensive Stanley from its packaging to test.
Though appearing convenient please don't bolt or bond to the frame, vibration and jolts bugger even good levels.
If you think about it the humble spirit level is a fragile precision tool. To ask for such an instrument for under £2 is a big ask.

Kevin.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 1:17 pm

Tow Itch wrote: Dear All

Please don't buy spirit level devices off ebay.
Buy them from a shop. The reason for this is most cheap spirit levels are out.
I don't mean slightly as in "Oh It Doesn't Matter It's Almost Level" I mean to the point where you will often be better off by eye.
To test a spirit level. Place it on a surface, look at the bubble position. Turn the level 180 degrees and look again. If the bubble isn't in the same position the level is useless.
i.e. if the edge of the bubble is touching a mark on the left hand side when you turn it round the edge of the bubble should touch the mark on the left hand side.
Obviously these devices contain two levels so each needs to be checked.
How to check a circular one like Vicky's ???? I can only think to place on a "Known" level surface. So that precludes almost anything a builder or a joiner has put up. ( it's easy to be brave when people don't know who you are!)
Please don't believe me. Next time your in a cheap D.I.Y. shop play with a few of the spirit levels.
What do you mean you can't their all in sealed plastic packages. I wonder why that is?
The last time i bought a cheap spirit level in a hurry I had gone through 3 cheap ones and asked to remove a slightly more expensive Stanley from its packaging to test.
Though appearing convenient please don't bolt or bond to the frame, vibration and jolts bugger even good levels.
If you think about it the humble spirit level is a fragile precision tool. To ask for such an instrument for under £2 is a big ask.

Kevin.

I was going to suggest you could use a half full glass of beer but thought no Kevin is going to be so drunk he wont care if its level lol!
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 2:06 pm

our cheap W4 bullseye level is okay,it was purchased from a caravan shop via ebay.Its not going to be as 100% accurate but with only a jockey wheel to level the trailer its always going to be somewhat hit and miss.The real problem i had before we had a level was pitching up on what looked like a bowling green only to find it was more like a season old rugby rugby pitch.I would lay in bed but be clinging on for dear life thinking any moment now i am going to be head butting the floor.So i was then crouched under the bed wing with a scissor jack and blocks of wood.Now we opt for hard standing where possible we have found these to be very level so a little adjustment with the jockey wheel job done.The level does need to be attached to the A frame as its probably the most true part of the trailer.
We also bought a set of Fiamma levelling ramps for levelling the wheels but unless you have a motor home they are all but impossible to use as it pretty hard pushing a 500kg trailer up the ramps.
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 2:16 pm

John pulls ours onto the ramps with the car Nick, I just shout the orders and push them in line with the wheels. Wink
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 3:39 pm

Mike

I was going to suggest you could use a half full glass of beer but thought no Kevin is going to be so drunk he wont care if its level
I was once asked the perennial question of whether my glass was I/2 full or 1/2 empty. I replied: "Hic"!

Nick B

I would lay in bed but be clinging on for dear life thinking any moment now i am going to be head butting the floor

I think that comes under the heading of "Too Much Information" Has Vicky read this confession yet
Still at least we know further reasons why the jockey wheel clamp gave out.
Try filling the voids in the Fiamma ramps with a little concrete. Yes there's a weight penalty but they'll have a better chance of not giving up.

Kevin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 30 Mar 2020, 6:39 pm