Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+2
navver
belfast454
6 posters

newbie here

belfast454

newbie here Empty newbie here

Post by belfast454 Mon 09 Jun 2014, 11:25 pm

Hi, went and bought myself(and family) a dandy today Smile . its quite an old one but its new to me, its a dandy 6 or i think it is with what i've googled. it's the brown canopy one with the brown checked interior. can't wait to go camping now in July.
    can anyone help with information on whether i can get a universal awning to fit it.
    navver

newbie here Empty Re: newbie here

Post by navver Mon 09 Jun 2014, 11:49 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. If the beds open over the tow bar it's a 6.

Awnings for dandys are a bit different to general caravan awnings. The standard dandy awning has 5 poles which hook over the side walls. The roof passes into the inside of the dandy and ties to the roof poles. The roof rope along the side is then tightened to seal it from the wind etc.

You will normally have to carry out some modifications to adapt one, the main problems being no awning channel, the dandy roof slopes to quite a low height at the ends, the height of the awning where the dandy door is.

Here's a load of threads on awnings which may help. There are quite a few ideas which may help.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    belfast454

Post by belfast454 Tue 10 Jun 2014, 12:36 am

thank you for the warm welcome Smile the beds don't open over the tow hitch they open either side so i haven't a clue now what model it is lol.
    thank you for the link i will have a good look and see what i can come up with. the lady i bought the trailer off said she just attached a small gazebo to the front of it with bungee ropes.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 10 Jun 2014, 2:11 pm

Hello and welcome.

Try looking at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to identify what you have.

Then this may help with erection.

belfast454

Post by belfast454 Tue 10 Jun 2014, 2:35 pm

thank you so much for that video, i never saw how the camper was erected as it was already up when i got there, but the way they took it down didn't look right either lol, so that has been a great help to me. waiting for it to stop raining now so i can have a go Very Happy
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:45 pm

If you hadn't seen the Dandy erected you would not have had a fun time setting up
    The four pieces of string are the key to erecting.
    belfast454

Post by belfast454 Tue 10 Jun 2014, 6:05 pm

it has finally stopped raining here now,sunny sunny sunny  so after i've fed the kids i'm going to have a go. i'm not sure it has those wee bits of string still on it (i did notice in the video they were handy) but i've found a website that do them and also replacement door retainers which i have noticed has broken off Sad going on the wee link you sent me for ages it looks like its a late 70's and it is in great condition, apart from a few wee things but nothing major is wrong. the underside is in brilliant condition only a couple of places where it has bits of rust on it. should i rub the rusty bits down and paint them with a hammerite or something? i really want to give this camper as much love as i possibly can and keep it in its great condition and on the road for another 30 years. Smile thank you again for all your help  bounce newbie here 115684958 
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 10 Jun 2014, 7:12 pm

Hello and welcome to the Dandy campers forum  newbie here 2716414575 
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Tue 10 Jun 2014, 7:32 pm

Hello and welcome,  newbie here 1217042266  How's the first time going? I hope your weather is like ours is currently, and not the downpour we had earlier  What a Face 
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 10 Jun 2014, 8:37 pm

so after i've fed the kids i'm going to have a go. i'm not sure it has those wee bits of string still on it (i did notice in the video they were handy) but i've found a website that do them and also replacement door retainers which i have noticed has broken off
    For sure go buy a door retainer but the strings are just any cord. Say something about the thickness of guy rope.
    Tie to the two U tubes where you can thread the string through the bit that catches onto the wall. The string just needs to be long enough for the angle between the bed-hinge-tube to be JUST MORE than 900.
    If you look on the video at 1.54 you will see the fixed roof end is 900 or just over and the other end is less than 900 degrees. The other end is not as critical as the centre span of the roof is more likely to pull the U pole on that side towards the centre. However making both sides just above 900 reduces the chances of the U poles collapsing back onto the beds whilst your erecting the Dandy. If it was a lot more than 900 then the stress on the poles would increase and they could also foul the catches at the top of the walls.
    belfast454

Post by belfast454 Tue 10 Jun 2014, 9:47 pm

i was just talking about using guy ropes instead lol, and im so glad you said at what angle to put them at because i was starting to worry about that (i'm a born worrier lol) but i will defo check out the video again and have another look as to where it goes. thanks Smile
    belfast454

Post by belfast454 Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:17 pm

hiya well that was fun, was a real struggle to get it up as the other people had put it down totally wrong but we got there Smile. it didn't have the wee strings on that you was saying Tow Itch but it does now. one guy rope cut in half then the ends singed is just the right length. what a doddle it was to put down so glad i bought it now. think this will be its forever home now lol  newbie here 115684958 
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Thu 12 Jun 2014, 5:21 am

Brill!!! Happy Dandying Belfast. Smile
    belfast454

Post by belfast454 Thu 12 Jun 2014, 8:04 am

newbie here 115684958 wish i had room at my home to keep it up all the time i love just pottering around in it  lol! 
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Thu 12 Jun 2014, 4:18 pm

Mines up on the drive at the moment lol. I'm the same. Can't help but potter with it. Need to get round to cleaning the roof again soon. Going away in it for 2 weeks on August, so get it done by then. #pimpmydandy. Smile
    belfast454

Post by belfast454 Thu 12 Jun 2014, 4:35 pm

awww so wish mines was up Sad what do you clean the outside with? the people that had mines in the past kept their spare wheel in with the camper and its put a few rusty marks on it, i was wondering if there was anything i can get to remove them or even lighten them a bit so they not so noticeable xx
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 12 Jun 2014, 6:02 pm

belfast454 wrote:awww so wish mines was up Sad what do you clean the outside with? the people that had mines in the past kept their spare wheel in with the  camper and its put a few rusty marks on it, i was wondering if there was anything i can get to remove them or even lighten them a bit so they not so noticeable xx

Possibly bad news brown marks may well not be rust. There is every chance it's a reaction between the tyre and the PVC.
    Normal cleaning and the favourite is Cif but for trying to lighten tyre marks (I don't think anyone has completely removed them) it's a solvent cleaner but these work by removing part of the surface layer. So it's a fine line between cleaning and damaging.
    If it is tyre you should be able to recognise some tyre feature: The arc of the curve of the tyre. Print from the code on the side.
    If odd dots it could be rust from some metal component.

If you want to look for subjects we are terrible at indexing but that is good because we then tend to message new members more. You can try using the "Search" feature it's between FAQ and Memberlist on the top line.
    If you enter Clean into search you can end up with a list of threads like this. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    belfast454

Post by belfast454 Thu 12 Jun 2014, 6:15 pm

thanks for that Tow Itch but yes unfortunately its defo the spare wheel Sad in one part of the roof you can see the whole imprint of the tyre and the wheel itself. i thought it was a huge logo stamp at first lol. i thought the good old cif for cleaning the whole camper but wasn't sure as i don't want to damage the pvc hence why i asked you experts first. the worst one is on the roof so you can't really see that one only from the inside, the others are just wee images of the rim of the tyre so they not too bad. thanks again for your help much appreciated x
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 12 Jun 2014, 8:17 pm

If you're doing it up you could get the sewing machine out or buy flowers for suitably skilled friend or relative.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You could get them to knock out matching curtains and modesty drapes for the beds as well.

Helen is our soft furnishings consultant.

http://www.dandycampers.org/t131-new-seat-covers?highlight=covers

Blast can't find any pictures of Modesty curtains.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 12 Jun 2014, 9:38 pm

Excellent news - they do become members of the family  Laughing we also often put ours up for a potter and cuppa  newbie here 2170595768 
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Fri 13 Jun 2014, 12:14 am

You could always make it a work of art and paint a picture of the rest of the Dandy to go with the wheel imprint Very Happy
    belfast454

Post by belfast454 Fri 13 Jun 2014, 7:48 am

great idea newbie here 3462454224 newbie here 3462454224 newbie here 3462454224 newbie here 3462454224 newbie here 1705467399 xx
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 13 Jun 2014, 8:39 am

Spare wheel marks are quite common because they don't come off  affraid you may be able to get them to fade a bit over time with a lot of cleaning but they are a permanent reminder not to store the spare where it can mark the pvc.  affraid it's odd that most other marks come off even if the Dandy's filthy and hasn't been cleaned in years it will come up looking great but spare marks don't  Evil or Very Mad however if you do manage to find something that removes them please let us all know  Smile 

The only ways you can make them disappear completely is by using Kevin's method of a roof liner either that or by using vinyl graphics to hide them depending on the size but spare marks are usually quite large so the roof liner is probably the only real option.
    belfast454

Post by belfast454 Fri 13 Jun 2014, 9:16 am

aye i have noticed they are quite common with all the posts i have read, but it's not the end of the world to have a tyre mark lol, gives my wee camper a bit of character  lol! if i come across something that removes them or fades them i will defo be posting it up but i really don't think i will.  xx
    belfast454

Post by belfast454 Fri 13 Jun 2014, 4:56 pm

Hi where abouts on the "A frame" do you find the year. And what is the "A frame" sound really thick n stupid now lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 7:04 am