Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+4
navver
The Admiral
mike
Charlie B
8 posters

Lavatorial advice for a newbie please!

Charlie B
    Charlie B

Lavatorial advice for a newbie please! Empty Lavatorial advice for a newbie please!

Post by Charlie B Mon 16 Jun 2014, 1:17 pm

May I ask what folks do for their loo arrangements?  :oops: 

Having just seen a Portapotti in the Lidls offers this week I wondered should I get one in advance of my Dandy Dart decision?  (Its £35 ish and I have use for one even if I don't buy a trailer tent).

Do you use a PortaPotti in an awning or a loo tent or kind of manage inside?  
    Do you have a day time and a different night time arrangement?
    Do you use the loos if avalable on site?
    In general, do most secondhand Dandies come with some of the accessories including a portapottie?

Thank you
    Chris
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Lavatorial advice for a newbie please! Empty Re: Lavatorial advice for a newbie please!

Post by mike Mon 16 Jun 2014, 1:57 pm

Charlie B wrote:May I ask what folks do for their loo arrangements?  Embarassed 

Having just seen a Portapotti in the Lidls offers this week I wondered should I get one in advance of my Dandy Dart decision?  (Its £35 ish and I have use for one even if I don't buy a trailer tent).

Do you use a PortaPotti in an awning or a loo tent or kind of manage inside?  
    Do you have a day time and a different night time arrangement?
    Do you use the loos if avalable on site?
    In general, do most secondhand Dandies come with some of the accessories including a portapottie?

Thank you
    Chris

First you have to consider where you will carry it,if its not in the dandy no problem but if its in the dandy you only have about 13inches of height so your loo needs to be no taller in one piece or two pieces less than 13inches.when we camped we only used sites with toilets.i was quoted as saying my days of defecating in a bucket are over  affraid at night there was only the two of us so the toilet was in the dandy so if we wanted a pee we just used it.
    As for how well they come equipped it varies we ended up having a deeper dandy travel cover made so things like that would transport on top.
    Charlie B
    Charlie B

Lavatorial advice for a newbie please! Empty Re: Lavatorial advice for a newbie please!

Post by Charlie B Mon 16 Jun 2014, 2:02 pm

Thanks Mike, really useful info.

At the moment, as I go about, I think: 'how would that be in a Dandy?...washing up, cooking, lighting etc. That's how I got to the loo questions!
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 16 Jun 2014, 2:06 pm

I know mine is a six and you will have less space on top but this is the top of mine,the deep cover went over it

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    The Admiral
    The Admiral

Post by The Admiral Mon 16 Jun 2014, 7:37 pm

We use WAG bags and Pett Toilet system (the human equivalent of cat litter and totally bio degradeable) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . If we've got the awning up it goes in there behind a curtain hung on one of the poles, if we've only got the day tent it comes in with us at night, it also folds very flat so it easily packs away in the Dandy for travel.
    navver

Post by navver Mon 16 Jun 2014, 11:38 pm

There is a dandy with an onboard cassette toilet in its own room with a washbasin but it weighs 1000kg fully loaded and takes a while longer to put up. We have a designer and use a porta potti. We have the higher one but it splits in two, the bottom tank bit and the seat and top tank bit. Both bits fit under the table when folded down.

We use on site toilets by day and just use the porta portti inside at night as there are only two of us. I did think of putting up a curtain inside using two S hooks on the centre roof pole holding a pole about 4' long with a shower curtain on it. The curtain would slide back and just slide out when the toilet is used. By day the pole would simply unhook from the S hooks.

We also have a toilet tent in case we are a long way from the toilets but have never used it.

On the subject of packing here a re some photos of mine packed. The dart is about a 2' narrower but doesn't have wheel arches.

The potti is under the table on the left.

Notice the water carriers, 23litre each with wheels.

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 17 Jun 2014, 7:35 am

Have a look at this thread [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is inside my designer as we pack it ..... the loo is in two halves in bin liners

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Charlie B
    Charlie B

Post by Charlie B Tue 17 Jun 2014, 8:51 am

A great link Helen, thank you. Tab curtains for an 'en suite' seems to be the perfect answer.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 17 Jun 2014, 9:10 pm

it's become quite a popular option amongst us Dandy Campers  Laughing 
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 18 Jun 2014, 1:49 am

As with so many things it depends on you.
    If you want to camp somewhere with fewer facilities. If you camp a long way from the toilet block. What your own self control is like. How likely you are to consume alcohol at night.
    Your camping partner is a gentleman who is beyond his teenage years. Older men are famed for needing a middle of the night wee.
    Gentlemen may be happy using a 3 litre bottle with a very wide neck. It says Comfort on the label for a reason! You may have issues or practical handicaps with trying to use the same solution.
    I can't see a toilet on offer at Aldi at the moment. I've always found Aldi more helpful if you need to make returns.
    I did buy a loo from Lidl several years ago. I don't know if anyone can identify the current product but several years ago it was rebranded but it was a Thetford product.
    Cheap solution for toilet instead of Elsan. Use two non bio washing tablets this also allows the toilet to be emptied into a septic tank as well.

Ah well some say bio some say non bio. See what you think.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 18 Jun 2014, 11:58 am

A stylish toilet compartment formed with Aldi shower curtains. Modelled at Goodwood circa 2011.
    I also noted about using pipe cutters to form tent pole spans for the awning on my later Designer awning.
    Helen and The Admiral have posh full length of awning compartments with best poshest curtaining.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    Charlie B
    Charlie B

Post by Charlie B Wed 18 Jun 2014, 12:48 pm

Do the lights come on while the lav is occupied?

I had read your pipe cutter thread. good stuff. Lots of useful ideas there Mr Itch, thank you.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 18 Jun 2014, 1:47 pm

Charlie B wrote:Do the lights come on while the lav is occupied?  

I had read your pipe cutter thread. good stuff. Lots of useful ideas there Mr Itch, thank you.

No,he tells fortunes  Very Happy 
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 18 Jun 2014, 2:09 pm

You're both wrong.

As is usual for me the lights were on but no one was at home.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 18 Jun 2014, 2:30 pm

Tow Itch wrote:You're both wrong.

As is usual for me the lights were on but no one was at home.

Wish we had a like button  Very Happy 
    CathB
    CathB

Post by CathB Mon 23 Jun 2014, 2:24 pm

Loving the shower curtain toilet area. May use that myself, I have s clips, and can acquire a shower curtain easily.Laughing 

We use a lidded blue bucket, mainly just at night and use on-site facilities during day, but that is dependent on how soon we get dressed, how far the toilets are, the weather and as me emptying it I do request no poo in the blue!
    Generally just me and kids in the Dandy, so don't always worry too much about putting it out in awning, but they are getting older and will start to shy away from these bodily functions in front of others soon. A toilet compartment in the awning would solve a few blushes.  

I am also liking the bio liquid for the loo too. brilliant!  Very Happy

Last edited by CathB on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Tue 24 Jun 2014, 10:22 pm

Charlie B wrote:Do the lights come on while the lav is occupied?  

lol! Lavatorial advice for a newbie please! 1710857839 
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 24 Jun 2014, 10:59 pm

If you are going to fit out part of your awning out as a toilet you also have the option to make room for a shower.
    Of course we do already have a battery operated pump in the kitchen. If the pump were used in conjunction with a 40 litre Aquaroll that was made up to a suitable temperature that could be a 15- 20 minute shower. Luxury.
    Just add an inflatable paddling pool to collect the water.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 12:52 am