Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+2
navver
Hodge
6 posters

Hitch lock recommendation please

Hodge

Hitch lock recommendation please Empty Hitch lock recommendation please

Post by Hodge Sun 22 Jun 2014, 9:54 pm

Can anyone please recommend a hitchlock for our Dandy Dart please? Also. where to source one. Thank you.
    navver

Hitch lock recommendation please Empty Re: Hitch lock recommendation please

Post by navver Sun 22 Jun 2014, 10:56 pm

I've got one of these. Can't say how secure but its easy to fit & remove and has lasted well.
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

Hitch lock recommendation please Empty I replaced the coupling with one of these - locks on and off

Post by ChrisP Mon 23 Jun 2014, 10:30 pm

I bought one of these ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])

I will have to dig around emails to see if I bought it from the same place as the link above.

There was a forum thread about it ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])

As well as stopping anyone hitching up and towing your Dandy away, it also locks the Dandy onto the car when you are parked at service stations or visiting somewhere en route. Of course this does mean if you lose the key you have the dandy stuck to the car. OK for a rear entry dandy, but not so good for the side entry versions. Also, since the lock is integrated, all you need to remember is the key!

It was a bit of a pain to fit. It is supposed to come with a rod to keep the damper in place while you make the swap. Mine didn't, but any rod that is thin and strong enough (think large screwdriver or socket set bar) will do the trick. The bolts had to be persuaded with a hammer to get them through. Even with this it was still less than two hours to complete the job.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 23 Jun 2014, 10:55 pm

You can also buy the box type locks that hold the trailer to the towing vehicle but you do have to look at the type of hitch you have the locks are hitch specific.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  

I bought a cheap one for a few quid but can't get it to fit anything.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you have a towball with a frame you can also loop a length of locked chain between the A frame and the tow bar frame.
    The Admiral
    The Admiral

Post by The Admiral Tue 24 Jun 2014, 8:58 am

I'm seriously considering getting one of these hitch locks that we can fit when we stop as it's annoying having to leave 1 person on guard all the time. If we get one of this these we could fit it and then go & fetch sandwiches/drinks together.
    Hodge

Post by Hodge Tue 24 Jun 2014, 11:48 pm

Thank you to all for replies. Esp the ones with links to two sites......many to consider.

Haven't used our Dandy yet......think of going not too far from home at first. Just hope we can remember how to put it up by the time we go away with it!

Thanks again everyone x
    kadders

Post by kadders Mon 06 Jul 2015, 7:00 pm

Recently bought the Milenco hitch-lock which is very solid. Not cheap but I suspect you get what you pay for.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 2:08 pm