Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

4 posters

Hello everyone .

4x4

Hello everyone . Empty Hello everyone .

Post by 4x4 Mon 23 Jun 2014, 10:55 pm

Hi everyone i feel a bit of an imposter here because i don't actually have a Dandy but have questions resulting from owning a Dandy when i was 18 more than 20 years ago . I need a trailer tent but the Dandy's are too big so i'm thinking about a project .
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Hello everyone . Empty Re: Hello everyone .

Post by Tow Itch Mon 23 Jun 2014, 10:59 pm

4x4 wrote:Hi everyone i feel a bit of an imposter here because i don't actually have a Dandy but have questions resulting from owning a Dandy when i was 18 more than 20 years ago . I need a trailer tent but the Dandy's are too big so i'm thinking about a project .

Too big? Bit of a fight to erect possibly but why do you need something smaller?
    4x4

Post by 4x4 Mon 23 Jun 2014, 11:16 pm

Hi tow itch no its not the camper itself that's the problem its where it will get towed that causes concern i'm looking for something comfortable for two people that can be modified for some harsh off roading . I think i've found just the thing if it had the same PVC fabric cover Dandys have .

What i'm wondering is if Dandys can be recovered and if so by who and at what cost , of course it won't be a Dandy i need covered , a Cabanon Venus L is what i'm looking at .

Last edited by 4x4 on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ed)
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 23 Jun 2014, 11:46 pm

Like this?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    tribalkev
    tribalkev

Post by tribalkev Mon 23 Jun 2014, 11:52 pm

Maybe modifying a dandy to give better ground clearance and articulation, the Cabanon doesn't seem to have a great deal of additional ground clearance to a dandy 4 if any.

I seem to recall seeing a dandy mounted on a Sankey trailer chassis or something similar last year on one of my numerous searches of the tinterweb, if i find anything i will be sure to post

Kev
    tribalkev
    tribalkev

Post by tribalkev Mon 23 Jun 2014, 11:55 pm

You beat me to it Kev Very Happy

Tow Itch wrote:Like this?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    4x4

Post by 4x4 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 12:07 am

The Sankey based trailer tent would be great but alas i don't have enough spare time to even consider building my own . My plan is very basic and what appeals most about the Cabanon is it quite literally just pulls out and folds away 3 minutes would probably allow you to do both once you were familiar with it . Plan is to replace the axle with a wider custom made job (sold on ebay last time i looked) . Fit larger wheels outside the trailer , which should hopefully level things up my truck is about 6ft tall maybe a bit more . And fit a double swivel to the tow bar . Some crash bars front and back and it should be fit to take a hammering . But as i've said a pvc fabric cover would really make it what i want . I will be traveling across Europe next year for 2 or 3 weeks final destination Romania before returning home .
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 24 Jun 2014, 1:11 am

If you are just towing throughout Europe a Dandy is suitably rugged.
    This man towed throughout Europe for 12 months going out into Turkey.  http://www.dandycampers.org/t2095-just-to-say-hello#31119
    The frame did throw a wobbly in the end and twisted though he did manage to tow it home.

The biggest issue is a Dandy will tow tail down especially with most 4X4.
    The general solution is to raise with a spacer. Ian (Riva Dandy) always said the frame is good for 750Kg suspension, adding a riser plus suspension would give you suitable lift and ruggedness.

Last edited by Tow Itch on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Insert link to person towing Dandy across Europe.)
    4x4

Post by 4x4 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 12:10 pm

I will be avoiding tarmac wherever possible so the less weight the better , truth is though i would love a Dandy but it has far more than i need , the one i had years ago was a proper holiday home my then girlfriend and her 3 kids (she was 15 years my senior) spent every weekend throughout the summer on an organized site with toilets and showers available and it still astonishes me that we all enjoyed every minute of it despite having such limited space . What i need now is little more than a base camp . My better half does not like sleeping on the floor of a tent , my 4x4 is swb so i can't carry a great deal inside it . I have looked at roof tents and decided i would be better off with the smallest 2 man tent i could find and a mattress so no thank you .

Found a good vid to give an example of what i'm after but it says no external links for 7 days  Sad 

What i would really like to know is who can recover a tent in pvc fabric ? i have searched online and kept finding this site . It seems to me there are quite a few who offer to weld tarps etc but if i'm going to spend 300 odd quid on an olive green pvc fabric tarp and god knows what to have someone magic it into shape i would like someone who is experienced in trailer tents and recommended by customers to do it .
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 24 Jun 2014, 9:38 pm

Hello I shouldn't be here I should have left earlier this afternoon for the Goodwood FOS  but as sometimes happens I got a bit fatigued needed to sleep. I should be off about 04.00hrs.

Hosting your film. Didn't realise you couldn't post links for 7 days, or is it because your trying to link a YouTube film? If you can just post the link that is great if not try sending the link to dandycampers (at) live.com Tell us you have posted (on this thread) as we tend not to check the mail. Mr or Mrs Phoenix may then post your link it tends to be them or me and I'll be away.

I think we need to see what you do want. Not getting stroppy that you might not want a Dandy just confused. Most lightweight folding campers are much of a muchness and not particularly robust. I might look at a clamshell type erect just because they are so quick.
    Why do you want PVC? Yes it is quite insulating and always 100% waterproof but lets cut to the quick most of us use it because it can be put away wet and you don't need to bugger about drying it off afterwards. Everything else is just a bonus. PVC is not light and it's not the most supple fabric(sic) to manipulate. We tend to bitch about putting the awning up but any tent that doesn't tend to auto erect or isn't broken down into small parts (like a Dandy) I'm sure would be a nightmare.

The easy answer for who would produce a PVC tent would be Tent Valeting Services (TVS) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Worshiped by the Conway owners club I've never heard anyone complain about their work but especially as your likely to be a one off it wont be cheap.  They did this for me [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and also produced [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    You could try any local tent or marquee manufacturer/repairer, any one who works on curtainside trucks. If you have the original canvas as a template Mick Withers might be able to work out what adaptations are needed to make up the tent. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    PVC can be purchased from several sites [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] you cold have a go with a PVC heat sealer or if you know someone with a comercial sewing machine it can be stitched and I'm not certain that seam sealer is needed.

What I would have thought you wanted is an off road camper like [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but purpose built they are a mortgage. I did post this thread [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] the guy selling the "Tent" relisted several times and is a business seller. His phone number can be found on the adverts. Worth a call?

Other ideas try viewing  http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/self-build-motorhome/28716-new-off-road-camper-trailer.html Try Googling or searching YouTube videos of offroad trailers or for home made stuff try "Bug Out Trailers" once you get past the paranoia and psychocis of our American cousins also their desire to spend 10 minutes describing a concept you could understand in ten seconds there is some worthwile stuff.

I can't think about the name of the group I want but it's about all forms of overland travel workshops and forums. From basic different travel methods to information in planning a round the world trip. Neither of these are what you want but if you have a quick scan you might find suitable links. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and the wonderful Austin Vince who used to do a general worksop on travel during his Adventure Travel Film Festival. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nothing about folding campers and not much about European travel but a wonderful travelogue and now slightly historic too. It was removed from YouTube but accidentally came across this link it does work and the film will start give it a few seconds.  http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDg4OTMxNjY4.html

Slury fur the vhariable spullings the spielchicker seams too be hon the blhink townigte
    4x4

Post by 4x4 Wed 25 Jun 2014, 1:50 am

Wow Tow Itch i didn't expect such a comprehensive reply at all and it's all good stuff Hello everyone . 184121345

As you say the professionally built overlanding trailer tents are big money but besides that non really appeal to me because they all seem to be built on the same principal of bed and big awning , albeit with a ground sheet included . An outdoor cooker is as much use as a chocolate fireguard in the UK  Laughing 

PVC tents i just think are better , apart from the obvious of being able to pack it away wet without fear of rot the pvc puts almost a solid barrier between yourself and the elements . Also as you say unlike Dandy's the lightweight folding campers aren't very robust at all and i would hope a pvc cover would address that to some degree .

The vids are on youtube and should be found easy enough by their title . First is the Cabanon Venus L which can be found by searching google vids for

trailer tent gp motorworks

I like this tent because it has a bed , a bench and room inside to store some gas rings and a bottle , minimal but sufficient comfort for overnight stays and pretty much a self contained base . The awning would be good if i intended to stay in one place for a week or more but i'm only likely to do that on a site with facilities so i consider the awning a separate thing not really relevant .

The trailers i like can again be found by searching google vids for-

Jeep test 3 brands off road tent trailers

What i like about these trailers i imagine is pretty self explanatory , but i don't like the tents as they carry no built in furniture so comfort is basically dictated by whatever accessories you can bring along , i'm thinking fold up bed , 2 deck chairs and a stove , why not just bring a ground tent  Rolling Eyes 

I hope this helps everyone with a little imagination see what i'm aiming for .
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 25 Jun 2014, 1:26 pm

Hello and welcome to the Dandy Campers forum  Hello everyone . 1066248140 I'll just keep reading the posts and maybe learn a thing or two Hello everyone . 184121345 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 9:53 pm