Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

4 posters

How old is my Dandy Destiny

murrymint

How old is my Dandy Destiny Empty How old is my Dandy Destiny

Post by murrymint Sat 12 Jul 2014, 6:32 am

How old is my Dandy Destiny 143088812 We recently bought a Destiny, we are now a bit worried we rushed in a bit too quickly. We have no original paperwork and nothing to say when it was last serviced. We had to give it a thorough clean before we could use it even though we were told it was in "lovely condition" by the dealer. It is meant to be a 1997, I know age does not really matter but I would like to know. In our very limited knowledge, the Dandy seems to otherwise be OK, no tears or obvious interior faults but there seems to be a soft spot on the floor in a couple of places when you walk over it. Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

How old is my Dandy Destiny Empty Re: How old is my Dandy Destiny

Post by mike Sat 12 Jul 2014, 9:39 am

I think the date identification may be different on a Destiny but on most other's its stamped into the aframe the last two digits being the year.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 13 Jul 2014, 3:11 pm

murrymint wrote:How old is my Dandy Destiny 143088812 We recently bought a Destiny, we are now a bit worried we rushed in a bit too quickly. We have no original paperwork and nothing to say when it was last serviced. We had to give it a thorough clean before we could use it even though we were told it was in "lovely condition" by the dealer. It is meant to be a 1997, I know age does not really matter but I would like to know.  In our very limited knowledge, the Dandy seems to otherwise be OK, no tears or obvious interior faults but there seems to be a soft spot on the floor in a couple of places when you walk over it. Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks.

I'd go with Mike on the A frame for the serial no.
    Not sure what year Highside Destinys were built from but if I guessed at 93 then in the worse case it's not that much older. If it's got plastic windows 95 or late 94.
    When it was last serviced? Well all it needs is greasing the coupling and bearings and setting the brakes. Beyond that leak test the gas with a manometer or just replace the flexible hose then it depends on what electrics are fitted.

The dealer said it was in lovely condition. How can you tell a dealer is lying? You can see their mouth open and close.

The floor doesn't sound too good. When describing what to look for a spongy floor is one of the worst problems The suspension is more expensive but easier to fit. The floor in a Dandy is sheet OSB board not the sandwich construction used on caravans, so while it's more hardy there aren't the quick fix solutions of injecting resin or similar as used on a caravan.
    Most of the damp floors we see are from smaller Dandys stored outside if water creeps in under the door (Always store nose up) Have a look underneath to see if the are any signs at the points where the floor feels soft. A full fix would be removing everything internal and lifting the floor. This is no small job but if it just spongy in one or two spots you could look underneath and see that the soft spot will be between two frame members. If you cut a piece of ply to fit the area framed this could be glued and screwed to the floor. I'd recommend that the ply is thicker than the floor section say 3/4". It's best screwed through from the top so you will need to lift the carpet but this simple repair could well last 5 years plus. After which you might not be too upset at investing in replacing the floor.
    murrymint

How old is my Dandy Destiny Empty Thank you

Post by murrymint Mon 14 Jul 2014, 10:26 pm

sunny Thank you for the advice re my Dandy Destiny. We have had the floor checked, no damp, just a bit springy near the door entrance which we were told is normal. Feeling much happier, we have thoroughly steam cleaned the interior and now it does look " in lovely condition" We can't wait to take our Dandy out and hopefully meet some other Dandy Campers.
    navver

Post by navver Sat 19 Jul 2014, 9:57 pm

We bought our 2005 designer from Ian at Riva Leisure. I commented that the floor was a bit spongy and he said it was normal. They use less floor supports on the chassis on the later models so there are some quite large spans with no support.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 4:22 pm