Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+7
Helen
clydestyle
jake001
babsinthewood
mike
Tow Itch
DSJ
11 posters

Cooking by Electricity

DSJ

Cooking by Electricity Empty Cooking by Electricity

Post by DSJ Sun 10 Aug 2014, 9:20 am

On a recent visit to a Camping Club site I mentioned to the site manager that I was running low on Calor gas and he told me to be prepared for a shock pricewise if I hadn’t done it for a while. As it happened, we managed but it set us thinking about alternatives.

We invariably have electricity hook up for kettle, toaster, heating and lighting so why not go the whole hog. We’ve looked at double hobs on Amazon but are a bit concerned to read that the whole unit gets hot and takes a good while to cool down which is not ideal in the Designer and we are now looking at a Remoska sold by Lakeland. I appreciate they are an arm and a leg new, but they are often on Ebay and it seems everyone who has got one swears by them.

I just wondered if anyone has used a Remoska in a Designer and if so could tell me if it is possible to do grilled bacon (on a trivet ) and eggs successfully.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Cooking by Electricity Empty Re: Cooking by Electricity

Post by Tow Itch Sun 10 Aug 2014, 10:41 am

I knew we had mentioned Remoskas at one point. A quick search on Remoska and I found [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    No mention of bacon though.
    Lakeland say that you can grill [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but then again they would

You are right Lakeland do seem to be having a laugh at the pricing of the redesigned Remoska but then again they do offer a  lifetime guarantee.
    There are also variations on a theme see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Also if you know anyone in the Czech Republic or ever go yourself see if you can get one there. Divide the prices you see by 35 for £ prices. Czech uses 230V as well.

I'm the opposite to you and I run everything on gas but if you use electric why not get an oven. Mike has an Aldi mini oven and recons his gas cylinder has lasted over 6 years. BTW what did you pay for your last cylinder?

You were bothered about a hob retaining it's heat but wouldn't any oven or even a Remoska retain a certain amount of heat. One review of the Remoska mentioned that it has been rewired twice because she touched the lid on the cable. You could consider an induction hob.

Various oven reviews and links. N.B. Some ovens appear to not have a grill.
    Are these still available at this price? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 10 Aug 2014, 12:19 pm

We did as much cooking as possible with electric,mini oven,George Forman,one of those small deep fat frier's,(i could do chips outside)and of course slow cooker for out of season,heating was convector heater,yes one bottle of gas lasted years.
    With a bit of thought your gas use can be cut right down,chicken breasts on the grill,chips in the frier,and tinned peas and carrots on gas,not the way we like to eat but its holidays so anything goes.
    babsinthewood
    babsinthewood

Cooking by Electricity Empty remoska in dandy

Post by babsinthewood Tue 19 Aug 2014, 6:55 pm

We bought a remoska earlier this year. We love it and wouldn't be without it now. Bacon does very nicely, no need for a trivet. And the fried eggs are amazing, I think because they cook evenly top and bottom without getting rubbery. You need to allow the remoska time to heat up, about 15 mins, although sometimes we just put the food in and let it all heat up together. We cook meat in it; it seems to really keep the moisture in, fantastic. We reheat pies. Baked potatoes, about an hour and half, really good. Reheat the croissants.
    One of the good things is its very compact, and robust, unlike the halogen oven we tried. And very few cooking smells escape. We use ours at home all the time. Hubby's a tight fisted Yorkshire man, but he thinks its the best bit of kit we've bought.
    Sorry to sound like an advert. I'm honestly not being paid by lakeland! I agree  I can't understand how they justify the price, except I've bought one, so i suppose they've proved their point! geek
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Sun 24 Aug 2014, 4:07 pm

I always use my trusty Sunbeam Multi Cooker when on hook up, it covers all options from frying pan to roasting to slow cooker (with crock pot insert). Unfortunately no longer made but a second hand one would be a good buy  Very Happy 
    clydestyle

Cooking by Electricity Empty Mini Oven

Post by clydestyle Sun 14 Sep 2014, 9:31 pm

Hi
    I swear by my mini oven/grill from Aldi (maybe Lidl!).
    Also have two single electric hobs.
    Never cook inside - always in the awning or a utility tent.
    Also use two butane gas canister type cookers- very cheap two run.

Always fancied a remoska though!

Mikey
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 15 Sep 2014, 7:44 am

Just bought one of these last week,wish i had bought one when we where still camping

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Did a fry up last week all in the one pan at the same time

6 sausages
    3 slices of bacon
    3 mushrooms
    4 halves of tomato
    3 eggs

Nancy tells me it would have taken more

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 15 Sep 2014, 4:55 pm

I have a Teppanyaki grill and it's amazing, we use it at home all the time and when away too if we are using an electric pitch. just wipe it with a damp cloth once you've finished cooking  Twisted Evil  no pans to wash either cheers  we wipe ours before we sit down to eat what we've just cooked ~ be careful not to burn yourself  ...... they do larger sizes at amazon but we find this size is fine for us. Got it from Aldi a while ago but they also do them in lidl from time to time too. All seem very reasonably priced from around £20 to £30 for the larger ones

It is sat on top of the gas hob here but it is plugged into the wall socket and is fine sat on our cooker top in the Dandy too

Rik Shaw
    Rik Shaw

Cooking by Electricity Empty Cooking by Electricity

Post by Rik Shaw Sat 20 Sep 2014, 7:26 pm

Right then, just got round to doin' this
    before we went on hols I happened to be reading about
    others cooking experiences and came across the . .. REMOSKA.  Glowin' reports all round ..
    sounds like it doe's everything .
    Then I saw the price of them.... HOW MUCH.  

Ebay was callin'.   few on there, bid on a new one and won it ,90 quid.. unused boxed, and it arrived hours before we were
    on our way for two weeks
    Here's the results
    We were camping in an old orchard. Here's (from the orchard) the apple crumble
     Fresh Loaf.. Granary of course  (wrights bread mix easy to do)
    read about this searching for Remoska
    Toad in the Ole
    and I done leg of lamb joint ...didn't get a picture of that it wasn't there long enough !!
    Highly rated first class bit of kit.. but on the expensive side
    having said that we now use it a lot at home
    greycamper

Cooking by Electricity Empty Cooking by electicity

Post by greycamper Wed 15 Apr 2015, 10:59 pm

Hi,
    I have had a Remoska for 6 years now, had it given to me, never use my cooker at home. I have dropped it, a few times, bit out of shape but still works.
    used it when I had my caravan, put loads of bake potatos in, went out for the day, lovely when we got back. Dont need an oven with one of those.
    must admit never done bacon in it or breakfast, always at a cafe for that if possible, hate cooking breakfast.

I always take my Wok with me, throw everything in, cant beat a chinese, but I use my small portable gas stove for that outside, because the oill so hot.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm getting hungry now.

I also use a lot of those Look What We Found, 2 mins in microwave. bit expensive if you got kids unless they are on special offers.

Regards
    Patricia
    Owd Lad
    Owd Lad

Post by Owd Lad Wed 03 Jun 2015, 6:52 am

We are also Remoska users and have been for about ten years. In fact, we have three, one big one bought from Lakeland and two regular size, acquired cheaply from other sources. One stays in the Dandy and the other two get regular use at home. A fantastic piece of kit that will cook anything, with a bit of invention. Stews and casseroles are a favourite and we do utilise a 'round' of the black oven tray liner, sold by Aldi, as a 'cartouche' on top of the dish. It slows cooking a little and keeps moisture in.
    The one caveat I would offer would be to always ensure that you turn it off before you lift the lid. We have had a couple of occasions when a bit of condensation has gathered in the lid and come into contact with the element in lifting and tilting. That trips the electric supply. The condensation isn't a problem otherwise and almost immediately dries off with the heat of the lid. Happy cooking!

Steve
    Rik Shaw
    Rik Shaw

Cooking by Electricity Empty Cooking by electricity

Post by Rik Shaw Wed 03 Jun 2015, 6:23 pm

Remoska will be getting well used next week we,re off on our first Trip of the season
    Great bit of kit highly rated..

(It's also used at home a lot)

kadders

Post by kadders Mon 18 Jul 2016, 6:40 pm

Can't speak highly enough of our Remoska acquired on eBay. See bass fillets bake beautifully in some olive oil with garlic and skinned tomatoes
    kadders

Post by kadders Tue 09 Aug 2016, 7:14 pm

Just had Spanish rice with chicken in Remoska in Spain, washed down with a nice bottle of Spanish white wine.
    Bliss.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 9:12 pm