Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+2
Tow Itch
Ro
6 posters

Picked up very first dandy today and had a few questions

Ro

Picked up very first dandy today and had a few questions Empty Picked up very first dandy today and had a few questions

Post by Ro Sun 17 Aug 2014, 5:58 pm

Hi,

Bit cheeky for a first post, but just bought our very first dandy discovery (199X) So excited! It isn't winterised and doesn't have electrics. I was hoping for some advice about winterisation in general, and whether or not it is possible to add electrics? If so, how? (no techy skills here!)

Thanks!
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Picked up very first dandy today and had a few questions Empty Re: Picked up very first dandy today and had a few questions

Post by Tow Itch Sun 17 Aug 2014, 8:07 pm

Ro wrote:Hi,

Bit cheeky for a first post, but just bought our very first dandy discovery (199X) So excited! It isn't winterised and doesn't have electrics. I was hoping for some advice about winterisation in general, and whether or not it is possible to add electrics? If so, how? (no techy skills here!)

Thanks!

Nowt cheeky about it we like to help.
    If anything we would have prefered that you would have asked before buying.
    Insulation. For your future use of the forum you may find it helpful to use the search function if you enter the term [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] you end up with the threads shown there. Don't disappear off there before finishing this.
    Why don't you appraise what you have before making it into something else. I don't know what your experience is but any Dandy is a lot warmer than any comparable canvas folding camper. There is no airflow through the PVC whereas no matter how thick the canvas there will always be a through breeze. Hence why canvas folding campers have inner bedroom tents  Dandys don't and lots of people think they look bare or stark. So go camp in it first. Winterising came in two parts: Heaters I'm a big fan of these. Insulation I'm so so about it. I originally stated that at the point were they introduced insulated front and back walls they also got rid of the insulation at the beginning and end of the roof so what was gained? I always thought it was more about removing visual signs of condensation. On reflection it might do a bit more than that. Mike did quite a bit of work on his 6 but then again a 6 has more surface area to lose heat from. Go and camp see what you think after then.

Electrics.
    As simple or as complicated as you want it to be.
    Simple solution all you want is to plug into an EHU on a campsite for say a heater, some light and run a cold box. Just go off and buy a mobile mains supply. Not One Of These [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] this has no RCD nor MCBs. Perhaps one of these [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]   but there are better designs where the plugs aren't all in a line. The cable from one plug trails over the next and you're completely goosed for using more than one socket if you have an awkward or bulky plug end that is a transformer.  
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    This would be more sensible except it doesn't have any socket covers.
    There is a better one illustrated here in this nice guide about electrics from the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    What is up with these units? These types of units are not hook up cables for caravans. Caravan cables are by standard 25m long and the supply cable is of 2.5mm2 The type of unit shown will tend to be shorter 20m or possibly only 15m and the cable will be ??? They tend to avoid saying but 1.75mm2 or only 1.5mm2. If you're runnings lights and a cold box no problem but if you do a spot of winter camping and are going to use a convector heater, well it's looking a bit poor when you start taking above 2KW in power.

You can buy the separate components and make one up yourself. Or if you see a cheap enough unit buy it and up cable it.

Finally you can wire a unit into the Dandy. This becomes more likely if you want to charge a battery and have multiple power demands. We do have some notes on this if needed.
    Ro

Picked up very first dandy today and had a few questions Empty Re: Picked up very first dandy today and had a few questions

Post by Ro Sun 17 Aug 2014, 8:28 pm

Thanks so much for your reply. Would probably have been sensible to ask first, but i think we got over-excited
    Ro

Post by Ro Sun 17 Aug 2014, 8:33 pm

Rest of message disappeared! We are planning to try the dandy next weekend. Had planned to buy one with insulation but combination of price, availability and location lead us to this purchase. We will be camping with kids and had heard that the insulation made a big difference re condensation. Will probably stick with an EHU lead to begin with, just interested in options for the future as we plan to keep it for a long time. Thank you so much for the help, will definitely be getting a new EHU, as ours looks a bit like the bad one!
    clydestyle

Picked up very first dandy today and had a few questions Empty Hi

Post by clydestyle Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:10 pm

Ro wrote:Rest of message disappeared! We are planning to try the dandy next weekend. Had planned to buy one with insulation but combination of price, availability and location lead us to this purchase. We will be camping with kids and had heard that the insulation made a big difference re condensation. Will probably stick with an EHU lead to begin with, just interested in options for the future as we plan to keep it for a long time. Thank you so much for the help, will definitely be getting a new EHU, as ours looks a bit like the bad one!

Contact Ian at Riva who might be able to help
    Regards
    Mikey
    Ro

Post by Ro Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:47 pm

thanks Mikey , I'll give him a ring when I've figured out exactly what I want to ask!
    navver

Post by navver Tue 19 Aug 2014, 2:46 pm

If condensation is a problem, leave a small heater on overnight. Ours is 2005 and insulated but we still get a lot of condensation on the roof when it's cold. Had it Sunday night in Devon when it was probably 4 or 5 degrees in the morning. We didn't use the heater this time and it was gone by about 7.30am.

We have a quartz 400w or 800w and that completely stops the condensation on 400w. Like this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So get the electric hook up and an electric heater and you'll be OK. Heaters can be like ours, or a fan heater or free standing convector heater. I went for our because it's small and gives off a warm glow when on. It has a switch underneath which cuts it out if knocked over.
    rabbitlover
    rabbitlover

Post by rabbitlover Tue 19 Aug 2014, 9:09 pm

We camped in our uninsulated delta last year in freezing conditions and were fine with the fan heater and warm bedding. The heater soon took care of the condensation in the morning. So you should be OK with most of what this country can throw at you
    Judith
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 19 Aug 2014, 9:20 pm

Thank you navver.
    Qualified just what little heat you need to take the chill off a Dandy other than during the depths of winter.
    I tend to use the heat off my Tilley Lamp but that would hardly reduce condensation (if it were a problem) as it burns paraffin.
    Two Christmases ago I camped between Christmas and the new year with a few friends from here and used a thermostatically controlled 2KW heater. I reckon that I was warmer than if I had stayed at home. The heater was not on all the time it cycled on and off quite a bit I don't think that would have been happening in a trailer tent.

Just a thought. If on EHU electric blankets are brill during serious -zero spells.
    Ro

Post by Ro Tue 19 Aug 2014, 9:57 pm

Thanks all, we have a convection heater so should be ready to go for the weekend Smile I'll report back but thanks for the advice - hadn't considered electric blankets but the idea definitely appeals if I ever get brave enough to be a full winter camper.
    Ro

Post by Ro Mon 25 Aug 2014, 9:06 am

Hi all, just wanted to say thanks again. We took her out yesterday (she is definitely a she and now called Dot) amd everything was great. Some condensation but nothing major and we loved the cosy feeling. I am officially in love Picked up very first dandy today and had a few questions 3517506835 
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 28 Aug 2014, 5:32 pm

Ro wrote:Hi all, just wanted to say thanks again. We took her out yesterday (she is definitely a she and now called Dot) amd everything was great. Some condensation but nothing major and we loved the cosy feeling. I am officially in love Picked up very first dandy today and had a few questions 3517506835 

We have just had the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] so you have done OK.
    I've still got two camping trips planned this year, so go on now you have started to understand how a Dandy will stand up to the weather give later in the year a go.
    Was the condensation on the walls? Everyone and their best mates ideas on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. I've only ever had a problem with under bed condensation and that was infrequently during winter.
    Any photos? "We love photos here!"
    navver

Post by navver Thu 28 Aug 2014, 8:00 pm

Our condensation has always been on the underside of the roof, not on the walls
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Thu 28 Aug 2014, 10:33 pm

Ro wrote:Hi all, just wanted to say thanks again. We took her out yesterday (she is definitely a she and now called Dot) amd everything was great. Some condensation but nothing major and we loved the cosy feeling. I am officially in love Picked up very first dandy today and had a few questions 3517506835 

Hi Ro sorry for the late Picked up very first dandy today and had a few questions 936075699

Glad your trip out in Dot went well. Very Happy

As Mr Itch said don't forget we Picked up very first dandy today and had a few questions 1468157981  Photos here. bounce
    Ro

Post by Ro Wed 03 Sep 2014, 7:12 pm

Hi all,

Thanks again for the replies. Condensation was on the walls by the beds but oddly wasn't as bad with more bodies inside the dandy. Not bad at all and certainly nothing to put us off. Off again in a couple of weeks so will just keep experimenting.  Hoping to manage to clean the awning then too.  Didn't manage to get any good pictures of the outside as couldnt keep kids away for long enough! Will try and post a couple of the inside if i can figure out how to upload on a mobile.
    Ro

Post by Ro Wed 03 Sep 2014, 9:55 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 6:54 am