Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

3 posters

New to me Dandy Dart

chrisb
    chrisb

New to me Dandy Dart Empty New to me Dandy Dart

Post by chrisb Mon 06 Oct 2014, 8:49 am

G’day all,
    Bought myself a Dandy Dart and brought it home the weekend stopping off for 1 night stay. It’s a Sky Blue and White model with a Riva Acrylic awning. We live in the east of Ireland and my long term thoughts are to leave it garaged in the (prettier) West of Ireland, hence, the choice of camper given its ability to be folder down wet. . . or is that actually correct?? So we folded it down VERY covered in moisture and when we got it home I opened it up and took out all bedding and curtains and put them indoors as I am putting it into long term storage next Saturday. To ask some fundamental questions if I may: The ply sheets inside were soaked from the PVC. Not good methinks? Folding it wet and leaving bedding in and putting it into storage for3 or 4 weeks does not seem a good idea. Would the bedding not end up really damp and smelly ? Anyone enlighten me on this please ? Erecting it and folding it down was very “fiddily”, I presume that gets easier with a bit or practice. It is for sure a 2 person job! It is all a lot “heavier” than I had presumed.
    Finally, thank you in anticipation for any replies, I hope folk don’t mind me looking for a bit of advice and assistance especially next Spring when I haul it out and try to make it our own before banishing it out west.
    Best Regards,
    Chris
    Ellaxx

New to me Dandy Dart Empty Re: New to me Dandy Dart

Post by Ellaxx Tue 07 Oct 2014, 8:18 pm

Hi I would say take all soft furnishings out when storing.

I am new to dandys too so would also be interested to anyone who has answers to it being all wet inside.the only thing I can think is that you folded the roof inside instead of folding it on top
    navver

Post by navver Tue 07 Oct 2014, 11:03 pm

When I bought mine, it was raining when we folded it and a fair bit of water fell off the roof inside. When I opened it up at home the following morning it was all dry. The tow home was about 200 miles. It had nothing inside except all the dandy bit, cushions, curtains etc but no bedding.

I think when being towed there is a far bit of air moving through it. Maybe bedding would stop that air flow by filling the empty space. I do carry bedding inside, laying it all on top of the things on the floor. The walls will fold in on top of it so should be dry.

When folded, the beds are higher than the folded sides and PVC. I collapse the kitchen wall and fold the PVC in on top, then the door wall & fold that PVC on top, then right hand bed then left hand bed. The roof all folds on top of the top bed. A lot of water can gather on the roof when folding and it helps to take care not to let it all pour down inside.

With folding, it does get easier with practice. I do my designer on my own without any problem but I'm 6'4" tall but also now 65 years old. I find the trick is to keep the roof under control. At all times, keep it to the right as much as possible. Once it sags in the middle, it's difficult to fold walls in etc.

Do not push the bed supports up as it makes it hard to get the side wings in.

Any wind, put the fixed bed end pointing into the wind. That keep the roof under more control.

Another tip is to make sire the inside of the roof is clean and polished with a silicon polish like Mr Sheen or silicon spray. This helps the roof slide easily over the roof supports.

I also have gas struts fitted but mine has steel bed frames which are heavier than the aluminium ones you probably have. The struts do help with lifting the bed but once past midway you have to push hard on the bed to get it down. I have the feeling, the bed dropping would help pull the roof up.

Watch the online video a few times [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    chrisb
    chrisb

Post by chrisb Wed 08 Oct 2014, 9:21 am

Many thanks for replies. I need to get it into storage - it is outdoors at the minute and it just concerns me that it is no doubt damp right now, albeit with the bedding removed and indoors. Drying it could be a problem as I only have the week ends and every time I am home it seems to be raining/damp. For sure I need plenty of time to study the components as your valued comments are not sinking in 100% until I am more familiar with the unit ( which is a 1997 dart )which I found far more daunting than I anticipated.
    An early start on a sunny summer morning on a quiet campsite is in order New to me Dandy Dart 496639318 And when we have it sorted we will think about possibly peering into the abyss which is the Riva Marchal Acrylic Awning Shocked We perhaps bit off more than our patience can chew. . we'll see !
    Chris

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 1:01 pm