Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

3 posters

porch awning

urbtaf
    urbtaf

porch awning Empty porch awning

Post by urbtaf Thu 12 Feb 2015, 9:46 pm

Picked up a porch awning to fit on our designer, not a dandy but nice and light. How to fit it is always the problem.
    I have settled on putting 2 awning rails meeting the middle of the apex, fitted by 4 U brackets to each rail which will hold the rails under the dandy roof when pulled tight so any rain should run onto the awning, and hopefully not find its way back into the dandy. (only time will tell if I have got this right)
    Anyway I will try and put some photos on if it helps anybody else.
    urbtaf
    urbtaf

porch awning Empty Re: porch awning

Post by urbtaf Thu 12 Feb 2015, 10:10 pm

O.K. try photos again

No chance of photos. never come across a system like this  Crying or Very sad
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    God I may have done it

Last edited by urbtaf on Thu 12 Feb 2015, 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : photos)
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 13 Feb 2015, 8:53 am

You did it cheers porch awning 1710857839 cheers porch awning 1710857839 cheers porch awning 1710857839

porch awning 2702329197

great photo's and your awning is looking good porch awning 2170595768
    urbtaf
    urbtaf

Post by urbtaf Fri 13 Feb 2015, 7:24 pm

Thanks Helen, just a bit worried about sealing the sides a bit better, maybe velcro?
    navver

Post by navver Fri 13 Feb 2015, 9:16 pm

That looks very neat, usually the awnings are too high and the sloping roof of a dandy causes a problem as a caravan is usually flat. Often the top of the dandy door is fouled.

How does the awning rail fold up as it looks like it overhangs the PVC batwings. Or does it just lie down with the walls. Some folks have made the awning rail removable by fixing it to batten with hooks over the side walls.

The sides don't seal on a caravan either. Some have a padded vertical post to stand tight to the caravan.
    urbtaf
    urbtaf

Post by urbtaf Fri 13 Feb 2015, 10:08 pm

The awning rail is in two pieces Navver, there are 4 U pieces that clip over the bat wings and the side section, I lined them with felt to prevent ripping of the PVC.
    Once the awning is down they just lift off. It all seems to be very solid, which is a bit of a worry as I expected it to be a lot harder to do.
    Time will tell!!
    navver

Post by navver Fri 13 Feb 2015, 11:10 pm

That makes sense.

Looking at the pics, it looks as if the awning may possibly be a bit high. The normal awning is 2 or 3 inches below the roof meaning rain blowing along the awning roof towards the dandy has to go up a big step before blowing inside.
    urbtaf
    urbtaf

Post by urbtaf Fri 13 Feb 2015, 11:25 pm

When the roof of the dandy is pulled tight on that side it gives about 1.5inch drop, but I have 2 bungy with climbing catches that pull the roof a little tighter so am hoping that it will work without leaks.
    But if not then we have tent camped for years so well used to more than a bit of the wet stuff.
    Got 4 days booked at Tattershall Lakes ln March. Think it will be the first time we will be hoping for rain affraid

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 9:20 pm