Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

3 posters

Designer Ride Height

gazer1

Designer Ride Height Empty Designer Ride Height

Post by gazer1 Thu 05 Mar 2015, 8:22 am

Hi- looking to correct the ride height of my Designer as it seems to be high on the tow hitch and low on the rear ie not running parallel .I have a swan tow hitch thefore can not use a lowering plate to correct the angle. I was wondering is there a spacer kit that i could buy to put between the frame and the suspension unit ( mine i think are the 500kg six nut fixing units version) My tyres are 145/80/10 i replaced them not so long ago approx 18 months have now found the side walls cracked and need replacing please could anyone advise me where i could get some better tyres and what i should be looking for. 6ply/8ply etc regards gary
    navver

Designer Ride Height Empty Re: Designer Ride Height

Post by navver Thu 05 Mar 2015, 7:41 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum

Not sure how old your designer is but some older ones have suffered from the suspension units sagging resulting in the ride height being lowered. The 500kg weight limit is possibly a bit light for the size of a designer and some have upgraded to 750kg units. The newer designers were built with a higher hitch than the old ones following the legal requirement for tow ball heights being raised.

So you need to identify if your problem is sagging suspension or your tow ball is too high. Don't forget, when the car is loaded for a holiday the rear end will be lowered slightly.

If the tow ball is too high you need to add some form of spacer. If the suspension is sagging you may find new units may solve it.

Here's some useful info: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Helen's thread [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nicks thread [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope this helps.
    gazer1

Post by gazer1 Fri 06 Mar 2015, 8:08 am

Thanks for info i am now thinking of making some spacers ergards gary
    urbtaf
    urbtaf

Post by urbtaf Fri 06 Mar 2015, 7:12 pm

Our designer rode like that when we picked it up, Normal tow bar so a drop plate solved it, also keep most of the heavy stuff in the car.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 1:34 pm