Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

4 posters

A really basic question about greasing tow ball

Maxholz1113

A really basic question about greasing tow ball Empty A really basic question about greasing tow ball

Post by Maxholz1113 Tue 08 Mar 2016, 1:05 pm

Hi, I bought a Discovery off ebay last week and we pick it up this Sunday. Do we put grease on the towball of the car? Just the towball?
    Thanks
    navver

A really basic question about greasing tow ball Empty Re: A really basic question about greasing tow ball

Post by navver Tue 08 Mar 2016, 7:29 pm

I don't personally because there is always a little inside the hitch head. When I was young over 50 years ago my father always said not to because it will let the hitch turn easily and not damp out snaking like a dry ball can. The alko stabilisers have friction pads to clamp on the the ball to stop snaking.

However, with a discovery you just will not get any snaking at all.

It won't do any harm to put a bit on other than getting it all over your trousers when the ball isn't covered.

If you do subsequently tow something with an alko stabiliser hitch head, you must clean the grease off or you will damage the friction pads.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

A really basic question about greasing tow ball Empty Re: A really basic question about greasing tow ball

Post by Tow Itch Mon 04 Apr 2016, 12:13 pm

navver wrote:I don't personally because there is always a little inside the hitch head. When I was young over 50 years ago my father always said not to because it will let the hitch turn easily and not damp out snaking like a dry ball can. The alko stabilisers have friction pads to clamp on the the ball to stop snaking.

However, with a discovery you just will not get any snaking at all.

It won't do any harm to put a bit on other than getting it all over your trousers when the ball isn't covered.

If you do subsequently tow something with an alko stabiliser hitch head, you must clean the grease off or you will damage the friction pads.

If you end up using an AL-KO hitch you would not only want to remove the grease thoroughly (as in with brake cleaner) but remove all the paint from the ball as well. As I've never used one I'm not exactly certain about what constitutes a suitable tow ball whether it has to be an AL-KO extended neck or what other balls are suitable:http:  //www.al-ko.co.uk/edit/files/handbooks/aks3004handbookdigital.pdf

As for grease on the trouser leg I always find that the memory of raking my shin over metal remains far longer than any fret cased by being sartorially affected.

Maxholz If you are new to all this Dandying stuff take one extra lesson from this. If someone offers to help you erect the Dandy do get them to lift the kitchen end wall and fasten the roof lines on that side too. It's much better that they rake their shins on the coupling rather than you.
    Remember. No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Tue 05 Apr 2016, 11:11 pm

Tow Itch wrote:
    Maxholz If you are new to all this Dandying stuff take one extra lesson from this. If someone offers to help you erect the Dandy do get them to lift the kitchen end wall and fasten the roof lines on that side too. It's much better that they rake their shins on the coupling rather than you.
    Remember. No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!

Ha! Was it that fine gentleman navver who introduced his lady wife to the Dandy in such a manner?

If so, it's little wonder he's having to lug around a tin shed these days Laughing
    navver

Post by navver Wed 06 Apr 2016, 4:23 pm

Ah yes I remember. She took up diving after that and now plays for the local ladies football team.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 7:13 pm