Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping


getting a new car

Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Posts : 1458
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Lowestoft, Suffolk

getting a new car  Empty getting a new car

Post by Eilis on Sun 12 Jun 2011, 6:00 pm

well i've been busy test driving today to see what car i'm gonna buy (if the bank play ball that is) and on the way home had to slam the brakes on and do an emergency stop - the reason? an instinctive reaction to seeing a little duckling running across the road.

i managed not to hit it but realised afterwards that i could have caused an accident over a duckling.

still think instinct would win though, the thought of squishing a duckling is just too awful to contemplate.

now i still have to decide what car i'm going to try and buy lol
vickoir
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Posts : 1092
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 44
Location : Penshaw Tyne & Wear

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by vickoir on Sun 12 Jun 2011, 6:03 pm

as long as its big enough to fill with all your camping bits and bobs and will tow well
thats all the requirements you should need Very Happy

oh and in a pretty colour too lol!
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Posts : 6837
Join date : 2011-06-12

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by Helen on Sun 12 Jun 2011, 6:05 pm

I would go for one with a little space ( meaning a lot) but then again I do over do the packing thing Shocked
I would have stopped for the duckling too eilis. You did the right thing even though it was probably the wrong thing too Laughing
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Posts : 1458
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Lowestoft, Suffolk

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by Eilis on Sun 12 Jun 2011, 6:07 pm

i'm going for the candy white - which is the really white kind of white that's about at the moment and think i'll prob go for the ibiza as it's a very cute looking car Smile

it's just so instinctive to brake, i ran over a rabbit once years ago despite desperately trying not to and felt sick for ages after Sad
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Posts : 5172
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 71
Location : north east lincs

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by mike on Sun 12 Jun 2011, 6:12 pm

Eilis wrote:i'm going for the candy white - which is the really white kind of white that's about at the moment and think i'll prob go for the ibiza as it's a very cute looking car Smile

it's just so instinctive to brake, i ran over a rabbit once years ago despite desperately trying not to and felt sick for ages after Sad

Was wondering how far you had got with the car,plus tow bar of course

mike
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Posts : 1458
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Lowestoft, Suffolk

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by Eilis on Sun 12 Jun 2011, 6:14 pm

found out you don't have to get the dealer to put the tow bar on - they cost a fortune!! as long as you get an approved one put on they don't mind so that's a much cheaper option

VW charge about £750 for a tow bar - Shocked
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Posts : 570
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 45
Location : Tyne and Wear

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by Nick on Sun 12 Jun 2011, 6:25 pm

Eilis wrote:found out you don't have to get the dealer to put the tow bar on - they cost a fortune!! as long as you get an approved one put on they don't mind so that's a much cheaper option

VW charge about £750 for a tow bar - Shocked

Ouch i had a detachable towbar fitted to my Colt i think it was about £300,the towbar was not a genuine Mitsubishi Approved towbar,but i dont think it would affect the warranty as its all EU Type Approved.
My dad was quoted £1900 by VW for a towbar for his Eos as they would have to replace the bumper with a specific bumper with removable cover plate,he didn't bother as it was only for mountain bikes Laughing
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Posts : 570
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 45
Location : Tyne and Wear

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by Nick on Sun 12 Jun 2011, 6:28 pm

NickB wrote:
Eilis wrote:found out you don't have to get the dealer to put the tow bar on - they cost a fortune!! as long as you get an approved one put on they don't mind so that's a much cheaper option

VW charge about £750 for a tow bar - Shocked

Ouch i had a detachable towbar fitted to my Colt i think it was about £300,the towbar was not a genuine Mitsubishi Approved towbar,but i dont think it would affect the warranty as its all EU Type Approved.
My dad was quoted £1900 by VW for a towbar for his Eos as they would have to replace the bumper with a specific bumper with removable cover plate,he didn't bother as it was only for mountain bikes Laughing

Good luck with your new car Very Happy
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Posts : 1458
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Lowestoft, Suffolk

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by Eilis on Sun 12 Jun 2011, 6:32 pm

£1900? that's way more than my car is worth at the moment Shocked

unreal how much these garages charge for stuff

when i was 17 i wanted to become a mechanic but was told by all the garages i applied to that i would distract the male mechanics lmao oh how times (and waistlines) change Smile
Downton
Downton

Posts : 5
Join date : 2011-06-14
Location : Smoke-on-Trent..!

getting a new car  Empty Hmmm!

Post by Downton on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 12:38 pm

Not sure this is going to be an easy task finding the right car for Eilis..Here,s a vid taken recently of her finding the best parking space in tesco!! Shocked

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Posts : 6837
Join date : 2011-06-12

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by Helen on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 12:44 pm

Yep thats Eilis alright, you should see her do that with Dandy in tow lol!
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Posts : 570
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 45
Location : Tyne and Wear

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by Nick on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 2:40 pm

I was watching this girl drifting at Santa pod she was with another 5 or 6 drifters and she was by far the best one,she also had a pretty cool car Very Happy
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Posts : 1458
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Lowestoft, Suffolk

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by Eilis on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 3:19 pm

that must have been me nick lol

didn't think my cover would be blown so quickly Wink
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Posts : 570
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 45
Location : Tyne and Wear

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by Nick on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 3:58 pm

Eilis wrote:that must have been me nick lol

didn't think my cover would be blown so quickly Wink

well i didn't want to say anything but i had my suspicions,it was the dandy on the back that gave you away
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Posts : 1458
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Lowestoft, Suffolk

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by Eilis on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 6:22 pm

one of the car salesmen did go a bit pale when i moaned that i had to slow down going round corners lol
vickoir
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Posts : 1092
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 44
Location : Penshaw Tyne & Wear

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by vickoir on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 9:53 pm

nick and i are thinking about getting a new car we currently have 2 the mitsubishi colt diesel which we use for towing the dandy and a mazda 3 2l sport which we use for the dog bikes etc (25 mpg if i drive at 35 or 105 mph very bad lol) however nick has use of a works van for work and my work journey is only door to door so once my knee is better (big op, big scar 8 weeks ago) i will use my bike for work or walk,

question is can't decide if we should get a nissan navara king cab with truckman
or a diesel estate car any one got either type of vehicle or do you have any ideas?
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Posts : 1458
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Lowestoft, Suffolk

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by Eilis on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:25 pm

well i currently have a petrol toyota avensis estate and have had for about 9 or 10 years and must say it was a very good buy and even now is very fuel efficient despite it's age

if it was diesel i'm sure it would be mind blowingly efficient Smile
vickoir
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Posts : 1092
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 44
Location : Penshaw Tyne & Wear

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by vickoir on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:33 pm

Eilis wrote:well i currently have a petrol toyota avensis estate and have had for about 9 or 10 years and must say it was a very good buy and even now is very fuel efficient despite it's age

if it was diesel i'm sure it would be mind blowingly efficient Smile

something to look at then i think Smile
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Posts : 1458
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Lowestoft, Suffolk

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by Eilis on Fri 24 Jun 2011, 11:10 am

latest saga in car issue is i now have a courtesy car from toyota as they fix my car today and hate it lol poor seating position and the seat is changed by those really old fashioned levers rather than a turning handle so much less control re position

yet the same car has the start/stop thing where you stop out of gear in traffic and it stops the engine and also has keyless entry and start so seems really weird to have such old fashioned way of positioning the seat

plus the guy behind the counter was a real w****r and i think if you lived next door he'd be the one moaning if you left your bin out 5 minutes too long or your grass was more than half an inch long lol

def not getting a toyota this time round then lol
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Posts : 5172
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 71
Location : north east lincs

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by mike on Fri 24 Jun 2011, 11:21 am

We used to move new cars about and unload them from ships,the first key less car i came across was a ford i just sat in it looking for the key until some one came over and ask what i was doing,he said just press the button you dont need to know where the key is.The other embarrassing situation was i hadn't been unloading cars for long, i opened the door and thought what idiot has left all this stuff on the drivers seat, moved it all onto the passenger seat got in and then noticed some other idiot had put the steering wheel on the wrong side, had to get out and move every thing back.

mike
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Posts : 1458
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Lowestoft, Suffolk

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by Eilis on Fri 24 Jun 2011, 11:24 am

mike wrote:We used to move new cars about and unload them from ships,the first key less car i came across was a ford i just sat in it looking for the key until some one came over and ask what i was doing,he said just press the button you dont need to know where the key is.The other embarrassing situation was i hadn't been unloading cars for long, i opened the door and thought what idiot has left all this stuff on the drivers seat, moved it all onto the passenger seat got in and then noticed some other idiot had put the steering wheel on the wrong side, had to get out and move every thing back.

mike

that last bit reminds me of when i was working in germany and had been working away for a week and had been given a left hand drive car for the week. Upon return i collected my right hand drive car and went to the garage to fill up the tank. did so and promptly sat in the passenger seat as i'd forgotten i was in my own car! rather than make it obvious and get out and walk round, i climbed from one side to the other lol how embarrassing Smile
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Posts : 1458
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Lowestoft, Suffolk

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by Eilis on Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:00 pm

still not heard from the garage and they said it would be done by lunchtime, the last time it took so long for a garage to contact me i had a bill of £700 affraid getting a new car  143088812
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Posts : 5172
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 71
Location : north east lincs

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by mike on Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:10 pm

Eilis wrote:still not heard from the garage and they said it would be done by lunchtime, the last time it took so long for a garage to contact me i had a bill of £700 affraid getting a new car  143088812

Yes its scary,half of me wants to run a classic that i can fully maintain myself the other half never wants to raise a car bonnet again,when i bought this one i got a five tear warranty but that of course is limited,i also took a service plan which did save me money,5 years servicing at today's prices less 10% £17 a month.
vickoir
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Posts : 1092
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 44
Location : Penshaw Tyne & Wear

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by vickoir on Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:17 pm

Eilis wrote:still not heard from the garage and they said it would be done by lunchtime, the last time it took so long for a garage to contact me i had a bill of £700 affraid getting a new car  143088812

all i can say to that is OUCH Mad

Sponsored content

getting a new car  Empty Re: getting a new car

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Sun 09 Aug 2020, 5:45 am