Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

4 posters

Roof strings.

Cazz
    Cazz

Roof strings. Empty Roof strings.

Post by Cazz Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:05 pm

We need to replace the roof strings on our Dandy, does anyone know what thickness of rope is best please? Very Happy
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Roof strings. Empty Re: Roof strings.

Post by Helen Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:09 pm

I am pretty sure we just used good quality guy ropes to replace ours Cazz (was a while ago now) but very easy to do.
    You can get them at the campshops. Make sure your two hoop type bars are in an upright position then you will have the right length when you fit them.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:26 pm

Thanks for that, I wondered if there was a recommended size or not. I think I will go to local hardware shop, they sell various rope by the metre.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:30 pm

That would work too Cazz, it isn't threaded through anything small it just has to be able to raise the hoop bars nylon type stuff is pretty strong. Let us know how you get on. Very Happy
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:46 pm

Just to clarify, it's the ones that feed through the edges of the roof, then you pull them tight and tie them off underneath to secure the roof.

Ours also has 4 guy ropes, one on each corner of the U bars, to help raise these when the bed boards are flipped, but I guess many have. Very Happy
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:59 pm

Oh Cazz sorry I thought you meant the strings that lift the roof, you will need thicker stuff if its what goes through the channel in the edge of the pvc roof to pull it tight.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 27 Jul 2011, 12:02 am

I think it's either 6 or 8mm rope but you could take some of the old stuff with you to make sure.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Wed 27 Jul 2011, 12:09 am

Excellent, thanks for that, our current ones are like a thick bailer twine and dropping to bits under pressure. I reckon it was a temporary replacement years ago.

We might even treat it to some new elastic as well. cheers
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 27 Jul 2011, 12:13 am

If you get the new rope try to join it to the end of the other one by tape you should be able to pull it through, make sure you tape quite a bit or even thread something through each rope to hold them together.

For the new elastics (bungee) its 6mm
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Wed 27 Jul 2011, 12:18 am

Great minds alike, Very Happy

I'm also going to spray some of the wonderful, magical silicone spray at the ends to help them slide. Cool
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 27 Jul 2011, 12:22 am

Don't forget to do your awning zips with it too Roof strings. 1710857839
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 27 Jul 2011, 2:55 pm

Cazz i apologise if you have already been told this but when you pull the roof strings first pull at the top corner but pull it straight out and not down as this will cut the pvc,i then get Nancy to hold it at that point while i pull it down from the bottom,hope that makes sense
    The Admiral
    The Admiral

Post by The Admiral Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:22 pm

I'm a little confused Mike, when we are tightening our roof strings we follow what we were shown by the previous owners and what appears to be on the Dandy Video ie we stand at either end of the front or back and go 1,2,3 pull! Are we doing something wrong then? affraid
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:26 pm

The Admiral wrote:I'm a little confused Mike, when we are tightening our roof strings we follow what we were shown by the previous owners and what appears to be on the Dandy Video ie we stand at either end of the front or back and go 1,2,3 pull! Are we doing something wrong then? affraid

That's the way we do it too Jayne, I will try Mikes method though as it would put less strain on the pvc channel openings.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:45 pm

I was told to pull it at the top corner first and pull it in line with the tube it runs in,the way i do it is fix one end of the rope on the buttons then go to the corner above and pull the rope up,then fold the corner pvc and fold the corner,Nancy then pulls at the top at the other end and holds it untill i get there,then i give it a good pull in a straight direction then Nancy grips the pvc with the rope in side and i go to the bottom and give it a good pull and the fix on the buttons.

Its a variation of the way i was shown on my first dandy a 1988 delta and it had no sign of any slits in the tube ends, so i have stuck with it,a bit of messing but better than splits.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Wed 27 Jul 2011, 8:04 pm

We bought our new rope today, the shop had yacht rope at £1.35 per metre, we thought that was a OTT, so we bought a pack of 20 metres for about £7.00.

They only had very thick elastic, so that will have wait.

Thanks for the tip Mike, we will be careful with the PVC and make sure we don't tear it. Our Dandy is an old girl or is it a boy? Very Happy
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 27 Jul 2011, 8:20 pm

They do green bungee 6mm Cazz but you will find it cheaper if your not fussy on the colour

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Wed 27 Jul 2011, 8:43 pm

Good link, thank you. I guess we could have found the rope a lot cheaper, but we need it fitted and ready to roll in a week for the maiden voyage and camp. Everytime I've ordered off ebay and needed it in a hurry, something has happened.

I'll start a new thread about a cover. Shocked

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 2:38 pm