Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

What is a meet

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

What is a meet Empty What is a meet

Post by mike on Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:51 pm

Well as a wise man (thank you nick)said to me if you go to a site and are joined by one other member then that is a meet,some people think you need a lot of members to come well you dont,if you are a bit nervous about coming out into the open to suggest a meet dont be,if no one wants to come there can be many reasons and lots of people will give them in answer to your post,but the chances are as this forum grows you will suggest the right place at the right time for someone,it may be a good idea to put in your post what type of meet you want,organised BBQs,games,music in the evening is one type and quiet do your own thing in the day and gather round a dandy in the evening for a chat and a drink is another type,most of all remember you are amongst friends here and lots of us enjoy meeting up.

mike
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

What is a meet Empty Re: What is a meet

Post by Helen on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:22 pm

You will find that some of us arrive a day early or stay for an extra couple of nights and are welcome to do the same, some may be a distance from where you live and this extra few days can make it an extended break and worthwhile travelling.Its your choice on how long you want to stay Very Happy
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:24 pm

and also remember that if you're not confident putting your dandy up there will be plenty of helping hands when you arrive Smile
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Tue 21 Jun 2011, 6:54 am

Eilis wrote:and also remember that if you're not confident putting your dandy up there will be plenty of helping hands when you arrive Smile

Some thing i read about how to erect a dandy for the first time

1 arrive at a dandy meet late
2 both get out of car
3 husband says to wife where did you put the erection instructions (loudly)
5 wife answers (loudly) i didn't bring them i thought you had
6 both get out of the way quickly so as not to get trampled by the other dandy owners rushing across to erect it for them.

Cazz
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:11 pm

Do you have to camp in a Dandy at the meets please? Or is our campervan allowed? Many thanks.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 6:06 am

Cazz wrote:Do you have to camp in a Dandy at the meets please? Or is our campervan allowed? Many thanks.

May as well give you the full answer cazz you would be very welcome to attend one of our meets in a campervan we are not 100% dandy,what we are not though is a camping forum so we would only want dandy minded people attending,you are actively involved in looking for a dandy and obviously have an interest in them so if you have not found one by the time a meet comes up that you fancy we would make you very welcome.
The same scenario would apply to any one who has had to give up dandy camping because of ill health or some other valid reason but loves dandy's and wants to camp with like minded people,they would be welcome in a caravan or anything.

After saying that i cant see why a none dandy person would want to join us any way we would just bore them with dandy talk lol!

Thats the long answer the short answer is in your case yes you and your camper would be welcome

mike
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 8:22 am

This forum is about choices Cazz and anyone is welcome to organise a meet so if one of our memebers suggests a site and want's it to be a Dandy only meet then that would be up to them any Dandy owner on this site can do that. If it doesn't stipulate Dandy's only then yes you are welcome to come in your camper. I have family with tents and so do many others so it's nice to have a get together with them but some members may prefer to camp with just Dandy's as they are not a common unit on campsites and we rarely get to see another one on site. Very Happy

Cazz
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 8:42 am

Thanks for the replies everyone, that's cleared it up nicely.
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 9:49 am

I hope so Cazz, what we are trying to convey is that this is primarily a site for Dandy's and people with a genuine interest in them.
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 3:13 pm

Cazz we had a T25 Campervan at our 1st meet and after a weekend with us they have decided to look at buying a Dandy themselves to tow with their VW Campervan,there is a good possibility that they will be joining us at the next Dandy meet in their T25 as well Smile
Cazz
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 4:30 pm

Fab, there seems to be trend starting with VW's with a Dandy, we had better find one before the prices do the same as VW's campers!

Looking forward to meeting everyone at some point. Very Happy
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 4:34 pm

I must admit Cazz after seeing the VW at the woodhall meet i went and had a look at VWs online but decided against it when i saw the prices lol

i do think it's an idea combination though Smile

if you let people know what sort of dandy you are interested in, or your price range you'd be amazed at how quickly they will spot them for you, eagle-eyed bunch this lot are What a Face
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 26 Sep 2011, 6:52 pm

Just been reading on another site its fairly common practice for meet organisers to get one free nights camping for each 10 units that attend the meet we would like it out in the open before we get to that point,the admin team do not want the free night or nights if it happens any time, we would rather it go to a none admin member some how, its not our intention to gain any thing from this forum except the pleasure of it being here for us all.

Admin team

Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:13 pm

mike wrote:Just been reading on another site its fairly common practice for meet organisers to get one free nights camping for each 10 units that attend the meet we would like it out in the open before we get to that point,the admin team do not want the free night or nights if it happens any time, we would rather it go to a none admin member some how, its not our intention to gain any thing from this forum except the pleasure of it being here for us all.

Admin team

Dear Admin Team Collective

The desire for openness and honesty is admirable.
Oddly given that I haven't yet met you I also wouldn't have expected any less.
The honesty and the openness is great but I would tend to get any possible discount in.
If we were to look at a possible meeting in the future with say ten units over 3 nights a discount that allows for the organiser to pitch free each night.
First maximise the discount. The organiser is the person who pitches the awning: Then the awnings not charged for. If the site charges per person and extras, then the person with 3 kids and two dogs becomes the organiser.
At £15 per night the sum mounts up but would still only be £1.50 per unit per night. I'm not going to offer suggestions as to how you might choose to distribute or allot, but I will say take suitable funds first for expenses.
Already Helen has volunteered a shelter and there will be many other purchases that will be made by individuals, but for group use.
If expenses were to extend to stainless steel gas barbecues (retained in the keeping of the purchaser) or petrol for days drives in the country to asses sites I might be less forthcoming.
This type or level of expense I don't see being an issue but I do see the possibility of small group purchases becoming burdensome for individuals if you don't allow for reasonable expenses.
If you have already worked a suitable method into your meetings so far,and these words were unnecessary do say so.
Moneys often difficult to speak about but you can be too honest and rob yourself.

Kevin.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 28 Sep 2011, 5:38 pm

Very thoughtful input Kevin,the problem we all share in the admin section is our desire to not get the forum into any type of fund raising whatsoever,we just dont like it the forum was started out of a desire to do our own thing in a different way to what we had just left.
Our thinking was and still is we would supply any equipment that was needed for the meets and with there being a admin team not one person we feel we will be able to do this,taking nick and vicki as one Nancy and me as one Eilis as one and Helen and John as one we can split costs four ways,think up to now we have put £20 in each and still have funds left so as you can see not bank breaking.
Its not a desire to cut people out its just we wanted the forum and we invited people to join for our pleasure as much as there's so those where the aims we set ourself s.

Who knows what the future may hold but with out there being a major change its a hobby and interest to us so standing a bit of cost is to be expected.

Thanks again Kevin for your thoughts and i hope i have worded my reply with the respect your post deserves,quiet often Helen re writes things for me lol!

mike
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 28 Sep 2011, 7:06 pm

I in no way feel excluded.
My only thoughts were that you could easily end up robbing yourselves.
Everything else I try to write (this included) is clumsy or just plain wrong.
I honestly have no issues (How could you have issues with people who don't want to take money from you?)
I might well be wrong but I sense a lot of the way you want to arrange things is because of the collective experience of the admin team, but as I wasn't there I don't have your sense of perspective.

Kevin.

Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 28 Sep 2011, 7:27 pm

I for one think that what it costs us admin types is excellent value for money for the pleasure we get out of the site and the posts from our members. We took on the responsibility of starting a forum and wanted to do it our own way without people feeling bombarded with fundraising. If we had to pay £24 per year that would still only be 50p per week and I think that's really good value for the amount of smiles I get from reading the posts. Very Happy

This is as good as a hobby for me and I do enjoy myself both on the forum and at the meets too and if it wasn't for the members none of this would be much fun. As for shelters and stuff we're not going to be buying them that often and we get the pleasure of using the stuff for our own personal use too. As for looking at sites, that's just a lovely day out Very Happy

In essence we wanted people to feel relaxed and not worry about what things to take to meets, just bring yourself along with your Dandy and we are happy.

Nice of you to think of us lot though Kevin, much appreciated. What is a meet 184121345
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 7:04 am

i totally agree with Helen,

it was a lovely suggestion though, very thoughtful, but i do feel more comfortable with members not having to do anything except come to a meet when they want to
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 6:05 pm

Eilis wrote:i totally agree with Helen,

it was a lovely suggestion though, very thoughtful, but i do feel more comfortable with members not having to do anything except come to a meet when they want to

Did I miss something?
I didn't do anything rash like actually offer my own money just suggest that you took care of yourselves before "refunding" us from discounts on group camping.
Offer money? You're all going to be so sadly disappointed when we meet.
"Laugh I nearly bought my own beer" Trad/Russell Davies

Kevin.

Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 6:13 pm

lol i know you didn't offer your own money hahahaha

we just prefer that members come along and enjoy themselves without thinking about giving any contributions or anything except having a good time What is a meet 1912976309

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 6:16 pm

Damn it Kevin thought you where funding the whole thing What is a meet 3462454224 What is a meet 3462454224 What is a meet 3462454224 What is a meet 3462454224 What is a meet 3462454224 What is a meet 3462454224 What is a meet 3462454224 What is a meet 3462454224
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 6:21 pm

mike wrote:Damn it Kevin thought you where funding the whole thing What is a meet 3462454224 What is a meet 3462454224 What is a meet 3462454224 What is a meet 3462454224 What is a meet 3462454224 What is a meet 3462454224 What is a meet 3462454224 What is a meet 3462454224

I really should word things more carefully What is a meet 3208163979

It would be wise to bring your own alcoholic beverages as I have a tendancy to drink it all myself What is a meet 3965789718 although I do occasionally share a bottle or two. Besides I was under the impression you were cooking the fish and chips whilst plying us all with home made sloe gin. What is a meet 2702329197
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 6:26 pm

indeed and lets not forget the steak pudding drunken santa
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 6:31 pm

I was deeply and seriously hurt when I found out I couldn't offer up a bottle of sloe gin as a raffle prize.
I was even considering offering up two bottles as a second prize.

Kevin.

I'll happily cook Fish, Chips & Mushy Peas Helen Now were you on for turkey curry or was it some other culinary delight.

Eilis

Or steak /steak and kidney pud to special order.

Chippy was in the North West so battered Mars Bars are beyond me!
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 6:33 pm

Tow Itch wrote: I was deeply and seriously hurt when I found out I couldn't offer up a bottle of sloe gin as a raffle prize.
I was even considering offering up two bottles as a second prize.

Kevin.

I'll happily cook Fish, Chips & Mushy Peas Helen Now were you on for turkey curry or was it some other culinary delight.

Eilis

Or steak /steak and kidney pud to special order.

Chippy was in the North West so battered Mars Bars are beyond me!

Battered bread and jam is nice

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content