Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Fao Kevin from mike 10 -225 characters should be enough now

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Fao Kevin from mike 10 -225 characters should be enough now Empty Fao Kevin from mike 10 -225 characters should be enough now

Post by mike on Fri 09 Sep 2011, 11:32 am

Kevin hopefully i have solved the picture mystery,i took my picture from my memory of the one i had posted,at the moment my memory is in question affraid we are on a great site buts 8 miles away from the one i thought we had booked Embarassed still a deliberate mistake on my part Rolling Eyes and never mind just for you i donned my walking boots packed the survival rations and trudged of in snow and wind to take them

Original picture
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

my picture

side view

Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Fao Kevin from mike 10 -225 characters should be enough now Empty Re: Fao Kevin from mike 10 -225 characters should be enough now

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:05 pm

Mike

Thank you ever so much for the additional photos.
As for the upper lock gates I'm possibly more confused than ever.
The arm that intruded into the photo is normally the bit that you push on, to open the gates. It looks like you would need very long legs indeed to achieve this here. Are the gates motorised if so why keep the arms, if not how do you push?
Don't suppose you will see a great deal of lock action at the moment it looks like it has been completely drained.
Half of my questions were about the first photo.
The lock gates looked odd as if the were the wrong way round, but also there looked to be more gate than is normal.
I've seen enough to realise that each end of the lock has double gates.
The ones further down stream (sic?) the ones in your present photo are closed because the height of the tidal section can become too high. Or presently because the lock is drained.
The photo re hosted by myself shows the other set in action where it's the level of the canal thats being preserved.
If you look you can see the lower level of the tidal section. The ring of mud flat just visible below the grass.
The gates that protect an area from a rise in sea level are much rarer.
Looking at the height of the upstream (sic?) gates I was thinking the length the area to be protected must be very short.
At this point I realise I'm forgetting it's a very flat area and that we might be far enough down the east cost to be subject to the surges of tide caused by the winds affect on the North Sea.
This affect that raises tides while the North Sea tries to funnel itself through the constriction of English Channel is the reason that the Thames Barrier was built.

Kevin.

What are they doing to the lock to cause them to drain it?
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Fao Kevin from mike 10 -225 characters should be enough now Empty Re: Fao Kevin from mike 10 -225 characters should be enough now

Post by mike on Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:14 pm

Exposure adjustment

As you can see the lock has water in it as for the rest you have me there.

Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:24 pm

Mike

Either I'm desperately confused or you have Scottish ancestry.
I was referring to a lock. That device used on canals or on dammed rivers to allow travel across areas of unequal elevation.
Indeed the lock looks empty I can see the sides of the gates and a tide mark on the sides.
I can only think your expressing lock as in the Scottish term for "lake"

Kevin

Not secretly very rich are you?
The Wilkinson's that own the chain of shops are from Scotland.
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:51 am

I did notice that the River next to the site is tidal and rises a lot, could this have anything to do with the type of gates Suspect

There is water in there it's just very low down and when we went there were a lot of boats on the other side Very Happy It really is a lovely place to visit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 11 Aug 2020, 3:04 pm