Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+5
Tow Itch
Nick
Ali
Helen
mike
9 posters

Dandy folding camper hinge warning

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Dandy folding camper hinge warning Empty Dandy folding camper hinge warning

Post by mike Sun 11 Sep 2011, 1:46 pm

I have covered this somewhere before but it came to light over the weekend so thought i would give it a thread of its own,most of the hinges certainly on the older dandys where cut from a long length of hinge,this means the hinge pin can work its way out and if left the hinge would come apart,its easy to check just a visual check as you erect it and any pins that are sticking out just need tapping back and the job is done.

mike
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Dandy folding camper hinge warning Empty Re: Dandy folding camper hinge warning

Post by Helen Sun 11 Sep 2011, 9:13 pm

Checked mine for the first time ever and they are fine, but so pleased you posted this Mike as it only takes a minute to check them and we will from now on Very Happy
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:29 pm

One of my hinge pins had started to come out again so this time i took a picture for the benifit of new owners.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Ali
    Ali

Post by Ali Thu 05 Apr 2012, 5:22 pm

thanks Mike - I'll check mine when I next put it up.
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Thu 05 Apr 2012, 7:10 pm

a blob of weld on each end should keep it put
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 05 Apr 2012, 8:15 pm

NickB wrote:a blob of weld on each end should keep it put

Great minds think alike, fools seldom.............

I was thinking the same thing and about touching the end with a sharp chisel or peening the end.

Then I thought is the centre pin supposed to be a bearing on both hinge sides rather than one.

Then I thought bugger it keep it fixed in place and lubricate in spring.
    Kimmie
    Kimmie

Post by Kimmie Fri 06 Apr 2012, 7:08 am

mike wrote:One of my hinge pins had started to come out again so this time i took a picture for the benifit of new owners.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mike is that White stuff insulation? And if so do you have any pics on how you did it?
    Sorry Dandy folding camper hinge warning 1249597727
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 06 Apr 2012, 7:24 am

There is a thread here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]and i think another one somewhere else which i cant find at the moment,will add a link to this thread when i do,its easy to do no special tools or knowledge needed,the only mistake i made was should have been slightly wider,i ended up using tabs with magnets in to fix it not the wooden bar shown in some pictures
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 06 Apr 2012, 7:27 am

Found it [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] you can now buy the table topper off the roll at dunelm mills
    Kimmie
    Kimmie

Post by Kimmie Fri 06 Apr 2012, 8:00 am

Thanks. Very Happy
    vessey44
    vessey44

Post by vessey44 Fri 06 Apr 2012, 9:46 pm

You could also use a long bolt or threaded bar with nylocs to stop it coming out

We have a bolt supplier locally called Bapp so if you need anything give me a shout & ill get some sorted for Woodall

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 07 Apr 2012, 5:51 am

Tnanks matt but all of them do it at some time i am just in the habit of checking as i go round now.
    dave36

Dandy folding camper hinge warning Empty hinges

Post by dave36 Sun 15 Apr 2012, 9:47 pm

the piano style hinges on the folding doors are ok on my 1978 Dandy, but I do need to source 2 of the cranked door hinges or replace all of them, I am desperate and would love a solution!
    New season, more steam rallies and more custom kit car meets amd a door that will not close for my grandchildren, who allways accompany me!
    tojo40

Dandy folding camper hinge warning Empty re door hinges

Post by tojo40 Mon 16 Apr 2012, 1:12 am

i too could do with replacing the door hinges on my dandy. i have even considered an extra hinge on the bottom door . are original hinges available or would i have to make ones using double strap gate hinges such as the ones attached ??/
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 16 Apr 2012, 11:47 am

I think ian at riva may have the hinges but it could be that you need to replace all of them as a slight difference in size on one would make the door twist.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 2:22 am