Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Self tapping screws with hexagon heads

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Self tapping screws with hexagon heads Empty Self tapping screws with hexagon heads

Post by mike on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 5:53 pm

Can you get these in similar sizes as the rivets we would use on the dandy,the kink in my dandy wall will pull back because the hinge is still fixed either side,i just feel i may not be able to get enough pressure on with a rivet gun,but these with a spanner would be easy.

mike
Phoenix
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Self tapping screws with hexagon heads Empty Re: Self tapping screws with hexagon heads

Post by Phoenix on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:14 pm

I would have thought you can, we have a place near us which do screws and rivets in all different sizes and with different heads. If you use a self tapping screw and tighten it too much it will just pop out again, the thickness of the chassis steel on ours is only 1/16th thick. We have just put in excess of 200 rivets into Phoenix during her rebuild and I personally think you would get more pressure using a rivet.

Regards Mark.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Self tapping screws with hexagon heads Empty Re: Self tapping screws with hexagon heads

Post by mike on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:29 pm

Phoenix wrote:I would have thought you can, we have a place near us which do screws and rivets in all different sizes and with different heads. If you use a self tapping screw and tighten it too much it will just pop out again, the thickness of the chassis steel on ours is only 1/16th thick. We have just put in excess of 200 rivets into Phoenix during her rebuild and I personally think you would get more pressure using a rivet.

Regards Mark.

Thanks i did wonder if stainless rivets would be strong enough, will just have to get a gun i can apply more pressure with the one i have is just the squeeze type and i haven't the strength any more in my hand for setting the more hd rivets,and ime sure the normal ones wouldn't be strong enough to pull it back where it should be,unfortunately its not possible to get a clamp of any sort on it, will have to be the fixing that does it.

mike
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:53 pm

Mike

You definitely want something that can exert more pressure than a hand pop riveter.
Lazy tongs are the answer [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I presume Mark used these if not I wouldn't want to shake hands with him. I got absolutely knackered putting about a dozen rivets in 3ft of trailer a few years back, 200 is quite a number.
How are you trying to manouver this dent Mike (any pictures) I don't know much about panel beating (just thumped them with a hammer prior to filling and painting) but they do use a self tapping end on a slide hammer to pull dents out.
Sorry to spoil your fun but have you thought of any of these painless dent repair services, some of them are very cheap and they do do car panels without filling. They work on knowing enough to bounce dents back.

Kevin.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:00 pm

Tow Itch wrote: Mike

You definitely want something that can exert more pressure than a hand pop riveter.
Lazy tongs are the answer [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I presume Mark used these if not I wouldn't want to shake hands with him. I got absolutely knackered putting about a dozen rivets in 3ft of trailer a few years back, 200 is quite a number.
How are you trying to manouver this dent Mike (any pictures) I don't know much about panel beating (just thumped them with a hammer prior to filling and painting) but they do use a self tapping end on a slide hammer to pull dents out.
Sorry to spoil your fun but have you thought of any of these painless dent repair services, some of them are very cheap and they do do car panels without filling. They work on knowing enough to bounce dents back.

Kevin.

Its not a panel Kevin the side wall is a metal frame covered with pvc then the wooden piece with the door in is attached to this,with the strut seizing its caused the joint to kink out the hinge goes well past this joint on each side but it has pulled the rivets out at the joint,so apart from replacing the rivets i need to pull this kink back to straight,a photo would have made sense but i never thought.

mike
Phoenix
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 8:14 pm

Kevin,
you are right I did borrow a set of lazy tongs from a mate. I did however have to use the hand pop rivet gun for quite a few which the lazy tongs couldn't get onto. Also I didn't put all of the rivets in one one day. If we ever meet and shake hands I promise to be gentle with you.

Mike,
If you put a photo on we could see if we could come up with some idea's. There is usually more than one way to get around a problem.

Mark.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 8:19 pm

Sorry Mike

I know you know what you mean when you speak of a joint.
Also you know how it relates to the frame and the hinge that is spoken of.
This is one time a picture would be worth a thousand words.
I'm also worse than useless because I have never played with a 6.
I expect you don't need telling a photo would help but one last thought.
How are you with a paper and pencil? Can you draw a diagram?
If so scan it and load as an image? If you have no scanner what sort of a fist does your phone make of photographing it?

Kevin.
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 9:17 pm

John thinks you can Mike, there are also screws that drill straight into metal without the need for drilling a hole.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 12 Sep 2011, 3:10 pm

Will take a picture at the weekend i dont need to erect it to show you.

mike

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 26 Sep 2020, 7:29 am