Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+3
Eilis
Helen
mike
7 posters

Which heater do you use

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Which heater do you use Empty Which heater do you use

Post by mike Tue 11 Oct 2011, 5:28 pm

I know we have covered this before but this time its a question what type of heater do you use for the chilly and cold times.

After trying them all i settled for a convector heater with three power levels and a thermostat.

Dont like the noise from fan heaters
    Dont like the glow from a halogen
    Dont like the lack of instant or the lack of ability to quickly boost the heat from oil filled.

After saying i dont like the glow from halogen that's just in the dandy we use one at home when its not worth lighting the solid fuel stove.

I have the under floor heater in the dandy but as i go electric ime not paying for gas as well
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Which heater do you use Empty Re: Which heater do you use

Post by Helen Tue 11 Oct 2011, 5:33 pm

Obviously when not on electric it has to be the underfloor heater and we use one of the small camping heaters in the awning.

When on EHU it has to be the convector, I like the fact that it has a thermostat so you don't have to get out of bed to turn it on or off, up or down. It is also silent running and lightweight to carry.
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Tue 11 Oct 2011, 7:09 pm

i have an oil filled radiator at the moment and i've just bought a small fan heater so when i go to the christmas meet i can have heat in the dandy and the awning or just boost the heat in the dandy if it gets too cold Smile
    jenstar
    jenstar

Post by jenstar Tue 11 Oct 2011, 7:29 pm

Yeah, convector for us too, its quiet, heats up quickly and safe so we can leave it on over night on low. Have always used one in what ever we have camped in as we always have a hook up. Smile
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 12 Oct 2011, 12:57 pm

helen wrote:Obviously when not on electric it has to be the underfloor heater and we use one of the small camping heaters in the awning.

When on EHU it has to be the convector, I like the fact that it has a thermostat so you don't have to get out of bed to turn it on or off, up or down. It is also silent running and lightweight to carry.

Helen forgot to mention that she is quite fond of a gas lantern which will knock out in the region of 800w.
    Quite enough to take a gentle chill off.

Likewise I have two Tilley Lamps as well as the heat I like the gentle yellowness to the illumination.
    Not bothered about the gentle(sic?) aroma of paraffin but others might.

Recently acquired a gas heater of up to 4Kw I only really wanted a 2Kw one but it arrived at the right price. Rather like a Calor Gas mobile heater but without the carrying capacity for the gas bottle it's only 3" deep.
    No I'm not going to use it at 4Kw in the Dandy and yes I've got a carbon monoxide alarm.

I do think though the brightest idea I heard was that of using an electric blanket and mine might just make an outing.

Mike didn't realise you have solid fuel at home, did a missive on cheap fuel for Phoenix I'll PM to you.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 12 Oct 2011, 1:30 pm

Oh yes Kevin, I did forget my gas lamps that I use in the awning even when on EHU, I love the sound and light they give off the heat is a big bonus. Very Happy

In winter though I do like to be warm during the night too and the lamps have to be turned off Sleep
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Wed 12 Oct 2011, 9:29 pm

In the campervan we have a Propex heater, but we are usually away in the wilderness away from electric in that.

We've yet to use the Dandy for winter camping, but I've now chosen which heater we need. We do have a fan heater, but I do find them noisy.

Has anyone a spare convector or oil filled radiator we can borrow over the Christmas meet please? Shocked Smile
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 12 Oct 2011, 10:22 pm

cazz wrote:In the campervan we have a Propex heater, but we are usually away in the wilderness away from electric in that.

We've yet to use the Dandy for winter camping, but I've now chosen which heater we need. We do have a fan heater, but I do find them noisy.

Has anyone a spare convector or oil filled radiator we can borrow over the Christmas meet please? Shocked Smile

Going over to the Satan that is an electric hook up?

Did you ever buy that old brown gas heater I highlighted?

I've got two convectors so one spare, but will need reminding cos I'm forgetful. A convector with minimum setting of 750W is on offer at Lidl or Aldi this week less than £20 I think.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Wed 12 Oct 2011, 10:41 pm

Going over to the Satan that is an electric hook up?
    Hi Kevin, I've always said if electric is included in the price, then I would use it, we just wouldn't pay out extra for it, especially in the warmer weather. tongue

Did you ever buy that old brown gas heater I highlighted?
    No, we've been given one of the cartridge gas heaters, which for occasional use does the job, but it would be to hungry for winter camping.

I've got two convectors so one spare, but will need reminding cos I'm forgetful. A convector with minimum setting of 750W is on offer at Lidl or Aldi this week less than £20 I think.
    That would be handy cheers, I will have a look in the mentioned shops to see if there's any left. I did see the link on a different thread, but this thread didn't exist then with the helpful info on. Smile

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 12 Oct 2011, 11:04 pm

Got a cheap ex Conway inner tent appearing soon and camping weekend after next.
    Alas it wont be silvered, will report on perceived effect.
    Sorry camping at Low Greenside Campsite see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Anyone cordially invited.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 13 Oct 2011, 4:52 pm

If any one has done winter camping with an oil filled and where ok with it fair enough but newcomers i would suggest something with a bit more oomph in it,a convector or 2kw fan heater can get an insulated dandy up to hot house temperatures in -8 so it will keep you warm even if it drops well below that.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:49 pm

Our uninsulated Dandy now has a 2kw convector heater from Aldi, thanks for the recommendations Which heater do you use 3498837457

Another good factor is it's nice and light as well.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:00 pm

Good choice,have you got foot and head boards for your dandy
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:05 pm

mike wrote:Good choice,have you got foot and head boards for your dandy
    We have one on each side, I guess it's either head or foot board depending on which way round you sleep, lol. Why? A heater mount point?
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:21 pm

cazz wrote:
    We have one on each side, I guess it's either head or foot board depending on which way round you sleep, lol. Why? A heater mount point?

Because a uninsulated dandy with a 2kw heater in the middle of winter is probably going to get condensation,you can use the boards to keep it off your bedding
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:34 pm

mike wrote:
    cazz wrote:

Because a uninsulated dandy with a 2kw heater in the middle of winter is probably going to get condensation,you can use the boards to keep it off your bedding

Oh yes, the condensation, we've yet to get condensation in it, but we've only done warm weather camping in so far. I think we need a miracle, or we could be wimps and bail into the campervan. Speaking of which, how many people have a winterised campervan but choose to stay in an uninsulated Dandy? affraid
    Terry Baynham
    Terry Baynham

Which heater do you use Empty Heating the dandy

Post by Terry Baynham Tue 20 Dec 2011, 4:26 pm

We let the dog on the bed!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 10:57 pm