Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

4 posters

Nanny State ?

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Nanny State ? Empty Nanny State ?

Post by Helen Sat 05 Nov 2011, 4:06 pm

Morrisons have brought out a new ruling ............ I have just been shopping with Laura who is 23 and because she was with me when I bought two bottles of alcohol she had to show ID and if she didn't have any on her I would not have been able to buy more than one bottle, this also applies to energy drinks. They will ID anyone who is under 25 and if you are with them and they have no ID even though it is obvious that they are over 18 but not quite 25 you will also be refused more than two products.

Evie was also with us and the chap on the till explained that when she turns 5 if she is with Laura whilst they are shopping they will not be able to buy more than on alcohol product or energy drink product.

This means that people who are shopping coming up to Christmas and take children with them will not be able to buy more than one alcohol product including chocolate liquers and energy drinks, the till worker said people will have to leave the kids at home or in the car. That is ridiculous, how many people would leave a child in the car whilst they shopped.

I realise that alcohol is a problem and under age people cause trouble but it seems that Morrisons new rule implies that all parents and grandparents are irresponsible and would hand the bottles over to the kids. Well to me it is irresponsible to go shopping and leave the kids at home or in the car alone, you can be stuck in the store for hours when people are Christmas shopping. Lot's of people buy alcohol sometimes as presents so if you have kids over 5 with you then you will not be allowed to in Morrisons, or if you are having a party forget buying any drinks if you have kids with you. Evil or Very Mad
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Nanny State ? Empty Re: Nanny State ?

Post by mike Sat 05 Nov 2011, 5:08 pm

I know i have to prove my age every time lol! think shops are running scared of braking guide lines which are fuzzy to say the least.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sat 05 Nov 2011, 6:11 pm

I think Morrisons' are having a bit of a health and safety/ Licensing panic at the moment.
    There has been trouble with M/C filling up with helmets on, even open faced ones. OK you don't go in to pay wearing the helmet but there is often nowhere suitable to put the helmet whilst refuelling.
    Hence this piece of rubbish:
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    The reason was then moved to duty to asses the age of the person at the pump. This was countered that to ride there legally they had to be of age. Also what about pay at pump? This then eventually became.
    Now It's generally accepted that you don't enter the pay area in a helmet, or if in an open face or flip front one catch the eye of the staff to check if OK before entering. Yes part of the questioning of Morrisons' by MCN was a bit holier than though, but the idea that bullshit H&S or licensing "policy" can't be questioned is standard.
    While looking for this item I found another piece on the quality of Morrisons' "Customer Services" (sic)
    Of course that could be any supermarkets "customer care?" service but your thing about refusing service of multiple alcohol products is barmy.
    If you're really incensed you might when your next back (possibly never) ask the customer services person to explain it all again. Ask whatever supplementary questions you like, may I suggest. "So I couldn't buy two, four packs of beer but I could buy one case of the same product?" When they've finished ask them to confirm the bit about leaving kids in the car (Dogs die in hot cars, kids manage to kill themselves any time of year) Finally mention the petrol station debacle and ask them do they realise that there new alcohol sales rules will be hitting the press?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 05 Nov 2011, 6:21 pm

I did question it and perhaps should have left all of my shopping on the conveyor belt as some other lady did, she was annoyed and kicking up a right stink at customer services, she had 3 bottles of beer all different (speckled hen and the likes) and because she had her 14 year old daughter with her they wouldn't allow her to buy them. I overheard the conversation and the assistant said to her 'but you may be buying them for her so we can't let you buy them'. The lady went nuts as her parenting skills seemed to be in question. I think they are going to get a lot of unhappy customers leaving full shopping trolleys behind.

Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Sat 05 Nov 2011, 6:24 pm

this is ridiculous!! the law says you can buy alcohol at 18 so why are they getting away with making you over 25 to buy it in shops??

just pointless

what about if you order your shopping online with a child on your lap or in the same room Nanny State ? 3462454224

like to see them police that one
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 05 Nov 2011, 6:29 pm

You can buy it if you are over 18 Eilis but in Morrisons if you look under 25 then you have to provide ID proving you are over 18. My gripe is that at my bloody age I should be able to buy alcohol and as much of the stuff as I want but in Morrisons if I am with a minor they will refuse to serve me.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sat 05 Nov 2011, 6:48 pm

helen wrote:You can buy it if you are over 18 Eilis but in Morrisons if you look under 25 then you have to provide ID proving you are over 18. My gripe is that at my bloody age I should be able to buy alcohol and as much of the stuff as I want but in Morrisons if I am with a minor they will refuse to serve me.

I can just about understand the Challenge 25 idea it used to be Challenge 21 (still is with some retailers). It's a policy to show due diligence to trading standards sending out entrapment teenagers. Though to do that they need to record the details of the people they have challenged who provided ID.
    The perverse bit is that they seem to be exposing themselves to the furtherance of an argument that they are responsible for what you do with what they sell you.
    Also it is perfectly legal to give your offspring alcohol.
    Other point is that there are now so many age related goods and or restrictions (proof of age for discounted travel) that it's getting close to a back door requirement for the young to carry ID. Now the pros and cons of this are another question.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 05 Nov 2011, 6:52 pm

Tow Itch wrote:
    helen wrote:You can buy it if you are over 18 Eilis but in Morrisons if you look under 25 then you have to provide ID proving you are over 18. My gripe is that at my bloody age I should be able to buy alcohol and as much of the stuff as I want but in Morrisons if I am with a minor they will refuse to serve me.

I can just about understand the Challenge 25 idea it used to be Challenge 21 (still is with some retailers). It's a policy to show due diligence to trading standards sending out entrapment teenagers. Though to do that they need to record the details of the people they have challenged who provided ID.
    The perverse bit is that they seem to be exposing themselves to the furtherance of an argument that they are responsible for what you do with what they sell you.
    Also it is perfectly legal to give your offspring alcohol.
    Other point is that there are now so many age related goods and or restrictions (proof of age for discounted travel) that it's getting close to a back door requirement for the young to carry ID. Now the pros and cons of this are another question.

Well i carry ID my bus pass lol!
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 05 Nov 2011, 7:26 pm

Okay so the fact is that although it is legal for me to buy alcohol I can't at Morrisons unless the person with me is also of a legal age to buy alcohol AND can provide ID should they be lucky enough to look under 25 ............ for chances I am irresponsible enough to allow them to sample it. I can however purchase as many fireworks as I wish even if I have half a dozen teenagers or children with me ........... Hmn I wonder if they have thought of the damage they cause in the wrong hands !!!
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Sat 05 Nov 2011, 7:30 pm

helen wrote:Okay so the fact is that although it is legal for me to buy alcohol I can't at Morrisons unless the person with me is also of a legal age to buy alcohol AND can provide ID should they be lucky enough to look under 25 ............ for chances I am irresponsible enough to allow them to sample it. I can however purchase as many fireworks as I wish even if I have half a dozen teenagers or children with me ........... Hmn I wonder if they have thought of the damage they cause in the wrong hands !!!

i find fireworks quite frightening, i think it was growing up in a town where kids thought it was funny to throw bangers from the many little alleys between the terraced houses round where i grew up so going out at night was terrifying and i hate loud bangs too

popped to the shop earlier and was so frightened by the people with fireworks in their gardens as they were going all over the place, god knows how they have not set fire to someone's shed or house Sad

sorry i know i'm being a spoil sport but they are so frightening in the wrong hands Sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 5:46 am