Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Bed boxes on the old Dandy Campers

recycle600
recycle600

Bed boxes on the old Dandy Campers Empty Bed boxes on the old Dandy Campers

Post by recycle600 on Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:16 am

Hi,
While looking at the Dandy rebuild pictures I notice that the bed boxes look a bit flimsy with only a .25 inch board and how are they fitted to the frame as that does not look very substantial. I find it hard to believe that 2 people are going to sleep on that if they are over 10 stone each. As my wife and I are not that slim I would be concerned to even have one person sleeping on each bed.I hope the Destiny and Dimension are more substantial as they come out the front and back rather than the sides. They remind me of the Bonair trailer tent we had back in the 80's which had a rising roof and sliding beds and slept 8 but weighed over a ton.
Barrie
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Bed boxes on the old Dandy Campers Empty Re: Bed boxes on the old Dandy Campers

Post by mike on Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:19 am

recycle600 wrote:Hi,
While looking at the Dandy rebuild pictures I notice that the bed boxes look a bit flimsy with only a .25 inch board and how are they fitted to the frame as that does not look very substantial. I find it hard to believe that 2 people are going to sleep on that if they are over 10 stone each. As my wife and I are not that slim I would be concerned to even have one person sleeping on each bed.I hope the Destiny and Dimension are more substantial as they come out the front and back rather than the sides. They remind me of the Bonair trailer tent we had back in the 80's which had a rising roof and sliding beds and slept 8 but weighed over a ton.
Barrie

No need to worry they are attached to the dandy with lengths of hd piano hinge and then on the early ones supported by metal legs to the floor,not sure about the later destiny's think they may have an angle support that goes back to the trailer body.
The system has been well tested over the years and is very sturdy,even if the energy is there for a little affraid at night Very Happy ,then you have to consider the pvc roof the way it fixes all so adds strength to the bed support,in fact on the four and five berth models you can erect it then put the legs up and move the complete unit round,one dandy owner even towed his across the site like this.

mike
recycle600
recycle600

Post by recycle600 on Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:44 am

I was thinking more of how the bed base attached to the side walls of the bed ie by screws or some other fixing. I saw from the rebuild that the bed box was connected to the camper by 4 heavy duty hinges and supported by the floor stands. It was a concern that while the bedbox was supported each side by the floor stands what supports the board in the center.
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:34 am

There are lengths of box section at regular intervals running the length of the bed, the board is then riveted to these lengths. I have towed our dandy without the support legs because we got water logged on one pitch so moved to another and we have also dragged it across a field erected to a preferable position. I was worried the first few nights we had the Dandy and kept as still as possible afraid to move in case the whole thing collapsed Laughing
Now it doesn't bother us at all, occasionally if we haven't tightened the legs enough it does clonk affraid
Phoenix
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:54 pm

recycle600 wrote:Hi,
Barrie

Hi Recycle600,

The rebuild pictures you are refering to I think are ours. When I bought Phoenix several years ago the thickness of the bed bases didn't even cross my mind. I was a lot slimmer then and the couple she was bought from were not the lightest people I have ever met. Now 18 odd years later and not being quite so slim! While doing the rebuild it did cross my mind, to the point she who must be obeyed insisted on looking underneath to see just how much it bowed when I got on to it. We have since spent a few nights in her with no problems although the 1st night was a bit nerve racking I must admit. Especially when we had the leg slip as Helen mentioned, which was only caused by our staffie jumping onto the bed (we weren't even on it!).

The bases as Helen said have got some metal channeling across them which gives it support as you can see in the photo. They have successfully coped with me the wife and the staffie which is a combined weight of about 30 stone. affraid I blame the dog! Luckily our Doby cross sleeps on the sofa side.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:07 pm

I know one chappie who had an extra support put in the middle going in the opposite direction to the others but I quite like having the bed to myself as they arn't the largest (more a 3/4 than a double) and as I end up chucking the covers on and off for fun it was just simpler to have a bed each ............. I made sure I have the one that is always made up rather than the sofa side, easy to climb in after a few drinks but we even sorted that out and make Johns side up before we have a drink in the evenings. Very Happy
recycle600
recycle600

Post by recycle600 on Tue 29 Nov 2011, 3:58 pm

Nice to see that they have been well tested and can carry that little extra weight when necessary but I would be unlikely to convince my missus to try it as she prefers a good solid bed as we have in our little caravan,there is a 4ft 6inch double and the table/seats convert to another and we have one each (hers is the big one)and there is a toilet room squeezed in as well to save going outside at night. So while I am unlikely to have a Dandy Camper at this time I enjoy reading the info and seeing the pic's of the different types.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Tue 29 Nov 2011, 5:15 pm

Thought i would add this link to one very good improvement you can make to the dandy beds.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Cazz
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Wed 30 Nov 2011, 5:53 pm

Our Dandy is late 60's, someone in the past has put metal bars under our beds similar to Phoenix's, our bed also has nearly 30 stone on it at night. affraid It's been faultless.

My mum once said to me, "Do you sleep one each side to stop it tipping up?" lol!
fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 6:24 pm

We will be having a bed each in our discovery as we are no lightweights and also you dont have to climb over each other to go to the loo. pete
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 6:25 pm

That's one of the reasons we have a bed each Pete lol!
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 6:29 pm

We do the same but its only a short walk lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 06 Aug 2020, 1:43 pm