Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Ipad and android

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Ipad and android Empty Ipad and android

Post by mike on Sat 03 Dec 2011, 1:12 pm

Can any one see any problems using an ipad alongside an android phone,i cant see any as the phone would just be used for wi-fi internet connection on the ipad but i could be missing something,also are there free fun apps for the ipad like the android tablet

mike
recycle600
recycle600

Ipad and android Empty Re: Ipad and android

Post by recycle600 on Sat 03 Dec 2011, 1:24 pm

You can use an ipad with an android phone maybe to connect to the internet while camping etc,but then adding angry birds will be your downfall! I have a HTC desire HD as well as a iphone but do find that android phones and tablets do occasionally require reboots whereas iphone and ipads seem to go on forever and with all the apps available you could be hooked. Then leave your laptop at home when camping.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 03 Dec 2011, 1:42 pm

recycle600 wrote:You can use an ipad with an android phone maybe to connect to the internet while camping etc,but then adding angry birds will be your downfall! I have a HTC desire HD as well as a iphone but do find that android phones and tablets do occasionally require reboots whereas iphone and ipads seem to go on forever and with all the apps available you could be hooked. Then leave your laptop at home when camping.

The android phone has to stay as ime only 3 months into the contract but it was got as my main internet connection via tethering as i dont have fixed line connection,the tablet was mainly for surfing while laid on the settee Very Happy as i cant use a laptop like that,so realy although i could see the android phone would give me internet on a ipad i just wondered if there was anything i hadn't thought of,also on the archos i only have what i call free fun apps and didn't know if similar things where available for the ipad.

mike
recycle600
recycle600

Post by recycle600 on Sat 03 Dec 2011, 6:24 pm

With regard to apps on the ipad an account must be setup with credit/debit card or cash card then free apps are available from the app store as well as paid for apps but you are likely to find as I did that the apps are addictive and I have got nearly 700 now for everything from reading apps ie. ibooks and kindle to games on the bigger screen.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 03 Dec 2011, 6:38 pm

recycle600 wrote:With regard to apps on the ipad an account must be setup with credit/debit card or cash card then free apps are available from the app store as well as paid for apps but you are likely to find as I did that the apps are addictive and I have got nearly 700 now for everything from reading apps ie. ibooks and kindle to games on the bigger screen.

So long as there are plenty of free ones Very Happy
recycle600
recycle600

Post by recycle600 on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 2:00 pm

Yes Mike there are plenty of free ones but you do need an apple account but on android you can just get the free ones without an account and only need an account with card for the paid ones.My samsung tab while being a tablet is also a phone even with a 7 inch screen it can provide a hotspot but I do feel a wally holding it to my ear to make calls.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 2:12 pm

Been giving some thought to it and since the last update the power usage seams to have gone back to normal so will stick with the archos for now,hoping to see a 10inch with built in HD like the new archos with its 250gb drive but will take a mouse as well as a keyboard then i could replace my lap top with it,there are things i dont enjoy doing on a tablet without a mouse or keyboard,logitech made a mouse for android but its no longer available,dont expect to see an ipad with HD as it would probably have an adverse effect on there laptop sales.
recycle600
recycle600

Post by recycle600 on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 2:39 pm

You can always go back to the previous fimware Mike if you are having problems with it as they are normally available. I tended to save a backup prior to installing.Why do you want one with a 250GB hard drive in for as unless you are downloading full movies as iso's you are unlikely to use all that space with android as one can not do the same as windows or OSX with the types of apps available.I did get android running briefly on an early eeepc 8.9 inch mini labtop but it was an alpha version. I understand what you mean about a mouse as I prefer to use one and I do miss it on the ipad or tab when doing a right click etc and do like to use it on my labtops either windows or mac.I take it you would like a tablet running windows as andriod does not seem suited for it.I have an eee top which is a 16 inch touchscreen with a 160GB hardrive on board and 1.6GHZ cpu comes with a keyboard and mouse but the screen is resistive touch so prefers a finger nail or stilus (provided). It is quite compact but perhaps to big for use on your lap.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 2:55 pm

recycle600 wrote:You can always go back to the previous fimware Mike if you are having problems with it as they are normally available. I tended to save a backup prior to installing.Why do you want one with a 250GB hard drive in for as unless you are downloading full movies as iso's you are unlikely to use all that space with android as one can not do the same as windows or OSX with the types of apps available.I did get android running briefly on an early eeepc 8.9 inch mini labtop but it was an alpha version. I understand what you mean about a mouse as I prefer to use one and I do miss it on the ipad or tab when doing a right click etc and do like to use it on my labtops either windows or mac.I take it you would like a tablet running windows as andriod does not seem suited for it.I have an eee top which is a 16 inch touchscreen with a 160GB hardrive on board and 1.6GHZ cpu comes with a keyboard and mouse but the screen is resistive touch so prefers a finger nail or stilus (provided). It is quite compact but perhaps to big for use on your lap.

Had thought a windows tablet would fit the bill (at a later date),the hard drive size need not be 250gd that was just an example of what archos are doing,but if i replaced my laptop with one i like to have lots of pictures on it and store all sorts of crap Very Happy it would save using cards.
I guess i want a laptop for on the desk with all that goes with it and a tablet for the settee oops i already have that lol!

the latest firmware solved the problem they obviously didnt test the previous one enough
recycle600
recycle600

Post by recycle600 on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 3:14 pm

I often had problems with the archos and got quite angry with it at times as the firmware was updated quite often and sometimes got worse. I have now given the archos to my granddaughter to try and as she has nothing to compare it to she may find it ok.With regard to harddrive size I found that 16GB on my ipad was too small as I was then limited on what I could put on it but my 64GB ipod touch seemed about right as I could have 3000 pictures a few videos and some books and still have room for apps etc.On my desktop however I have several terabytes as I like to store movies etc for use on my ipad and ipods and iphone and have them in different formats.I have upgraded the hardrive on my macbook as I felt it was too small.I also use net books which now have upgradable hardrives and memory where as the first netbooks came with only a solid state 4GB drive and running linux and it was fun getting windows xp on the small drive + the updates!. Great fun.
Cazz
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 4:37 pm

I've enjoyed reading through this thread, i've actually followed it quite well considering i'm having a tablet crash course at Christmas. lol!

Recycle600, you sound very knowledgeable, i'm looking at rooting my phone next year, can you give any tips or advice please?

My phone is a sony ericsson xp10 mini pro, running android 2.1, yes, it's the phone that only has 212mb memory. Evil or Very Mad
recycle600
recycle600

Post by recycle600 on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 5:35 pm

Hi cazz, I have come across your phone as my granddaughter has one but I was not happy with what Sony Ericsson did to it as they put custom ui on it to make it easy to use and I was tempted to change the launcher back to android but my granddaughter liked it that way and although it works ok it does not feel like android.Updating the firmware on it is a fiddley process where as normal android phones can download updates directly with this phone you have a program to use with windows to enable downloading and installing of updates.Still with the size of the screen surfing the net would be fun with a standard browser! But it does fit in the pocket well.
Cazz
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 5:51 pm

Hi recycle600, I think I got lost on this occasion, scratch

Are you saying that it will be tricky to do, due to SE being sneaky and naughty? A bit like launching this model, then making it non updateable and out of date straight away. Twisted Evil

My phone is on a contract with vodafone, it originally had android 1.6 which was updated in march to 2.1, months after everyone else.

With the screen size, I know a lot of people can't cope with it, but I can do everything I want to on it, nothing has stopped me yet. My issues are the shocking small memory, but at least I can't get addicted to angry birds, it won't fit on, lol!
Cazz
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 5:56 pm

PS don't get me wrong, I love my phone, the resolution is good, I like the way the widgets and apps can be arranged, I just need more memory or the ability to run apps from the memory card. Android 2.2 is all I want, please SE, make my day.
recycle600
recycle600

Post by recycle600 on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 6:17 pm

Cazz I checked the SE website they still only offer 2.1 which I remember I did for my granddaughter as hers only had 1.6 on it when she got it, but I think there would be a problem with any changes to the interface as I dont think a standard android interface would work on a 2.6 inch screen is it? and they made the icons bigger especially.
Barrie
Cazz
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 7:35 pm

recycle600 wrote:Cazz I checked the SE website they still only offer 2.1 which I remember I did for my granddaughter as hers only had 1.6 on it when she got it, but I think there would be a problem with any changes to the interface as I dont think a standard android interface would work on a 2.6 inch screen is it? and they made the icons bigger especially.
Barrie

Oh dear. Mad

Any one got an old smart phone they no longer need. lol!
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:30 am

Now this idea i do like,no good if you want a lightweight tablet to carry around but if like me you just want to move from desk to settee and carry on working with the same unit,not looked into spec or sensitivity of the touch screen but the idea is great.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:48 am

Perhaps not then Very Happy
recycle600
recycle600

Post by recycle600 on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 2:04 pm

How small did you want your laptop to be Mike, the one you were looking at above had a screen size of 10 inch. Does it need a touch screen or can it be a standard netbook with a 9 or 10 inch screen and a touchpad with usb ports to plug a mouse into. Does it need to run windows or can it just have a browser to access the web and an email client ie:- chrome os. Lots of options.
Barrie
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 2:19 pm

recycle600 wrote:How small did you want your laptop to be Mike, the one you were looking at above had a screen size of 10 inch. Does it need a touch screen or can it be a standard netbook with a 9 or 10 inch screen and a touchpad with usb ports to plug a mouse into. Does it need to run windows or can it just have a browser to access the web and an email client ie:- chrome os. Lots of options.
Barrie

Not realy looking for anything was just wasting some time in staples this morning and saw that which seemed a good idea both products in one,only one operating system and the same programs but it sounds from the test as if it has a way to go yet.

mike
recycle600
recycle600

Post by recycle600 on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 2:30 pm

I wondered how small you needed the laptop to be in order to use it on the settee. The first eeepc's were 8.9 inches and could be held in one hand were easy to use but ran linux where as the 10 inch eeepc runs windows xp or windows 7 basic and is easy to use on the settee and can last up to 10 hours battery life depending how you use it. still you can use a mouse if you want as they have 3 usb ports. I find a wireless logitech mouse is best as no wires to get tangled up with.
Barrie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 30 Mar 2020, 5:51 am