Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Help with high cholesterol

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Help with high cholesterol Empty Help with high cholesterol

Post by mike on Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:56 pm

Sorry ive not been interested in the forum for a few days but we have had a worrying week,Nancy went for her M O T on Monday the usual four blood samples ect,Tues afternoon we got a phone call from the doctors receptionist she must go back to see the nurse asap very urgent,no details forthcoming of course,well for various reasons she could not get in until this afternoon,yes all right it is serious but when you consider the test where for sugar,kidneys,liver and cholesterol i think the latter is probably the best to have a problem with,her reading is 6.9 a high one on its own but her mother and brother are diabetic and her brother had a heart attack a few moths ago so this increases nancys chances of a a heart attack by 20% according to the doctors calculations.
So although we where given a diet sheet its doesn't look like the most comprehensive guidance you could have and could do with a good source of info on what she/we can eat,i do know when looking in the fridge and at the tins of quality street and boxes of sea shell chocolates laying around it going to mean a major dietary change for both of us as i cant sit eating chocolates and ice cream when she cant,the other problem is she only likes about 50% of the things that are listed as ok,she wont eat any foreign food at all.

On the bright side i got a letter from the taxman today he is sending me some money

mike
Esermalda
Esermalda

Help with high cholesterol Empty Re: Help with high cholesterol

Post by Esermalda on Thu 15 Dec 2011, 7:49 pm

hiya Mike and Nancy,
I suffer from familial hyperlipidia, including 75% of my siblings,(and I have a few) I lost a sister to heart attack aged 36years and my brother had his first heart attack at 48, We were told at the time to have our cholesterol levels checked and so I ambled to the doctor solid in the knowledge that for years I had partaken of a low fat diet.
I had the same urgent phone call from the surgery and went in to see the dr.
My cholesterol was a massive 8.4
She(the doctor) said that a low-fat diet will only decrease the level by 10% so prescribed a statin for the rest of my life. after two months had a recheck and now its around 4.5 which they said is in the 'normal' range.
I will continue to take the tablets and don't even need another blood test unless I want. I eat a normal but careful diet and will eat the butter etc when I feel like it, the tablets seem to do the rest, but, I'm pleased I went to the docs when I did.
Try not to worry too much about it, that is detrimental to your health as well.
Essie x
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 15 Dec 2011, 9:58 pm

John had a heart attack aged 53 and has angina too, his sister had a bypass aged 57 and his brother died of a heart attack young, his mum also had heart problems so it looks to me like it runs in families, he had a stent fitted but has regular cholesterol checks, he is on statins and other meds for life but it did take several different types before he found the right one to control it, he has to watch his diet, eats more wholegrain stuff and limits red meats and fats (apart from when camping Laughing ) it's basically a sensible diet but diet wouldn't control his alone and although some people say they get side effects from statins John hasn't had any from the several types he has been on it's just that his body apparently makes a lot of cholesterol. Statins are best taken at night, if diet alone doesn't bring it down perhaps it would be worth another chat to the doctor.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 5:31 am

Thanks we where not overly concerned when we found out why she had to go back it was the nature of the phone call and lack of information,what would it have taken to say hello Mrs Wilkinson we have your results back no problems in most areas but we need you to come back asap because your cholesterol is too high,inconsiderate to say the least,if it had been my results i would have spit my dummy out.
I did some checking last night and found that they say normally it can only be lowered by 10% via diet,but the doctor likes to give three months first to see what diet can do.
The problem with the sheet they have given in my mind is it keeps referring to weight loss which in nancys case is not necessary her weight and blood pressure are spot on.
Its all my fault any way lol! when i met her she was working two jobs to keep four kids and pay the mortgage she would eat loads of salads baked potatoes a very sensible diet very rarely ate chocolate,cream,ice cream and cakes ect,i suppose a slight change in diet may be good for me as well Help with high cholesterol 143088812 lol! although those that know me will know i have a very youthful and manly appearance Help with high cholesterol 3462454224 Help with high cholesterol 3462454224 Help with high cholesterol 3462454224 Help with high cholesterol 3462454224 Help with high cholesterol 3462454224 Help with high cholesterol 3462454224
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 6:21 am

another thing that's really good for reducing cholesterol is oat bran as it actively reduces cholesterol, most supermarkets sell it now

i've made a porridge with it which is quite nice, 2 tablespoons of oat bran, some skimmed or semi skimmed milk and a bit of sweetner if you want ( i like it without) if you have that every day that will help a lot

some people don't like it though, you can also add flavour essence for a change too, vanilla is good as is lemon Smile
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 9:27 am

As i said i wasnt happy with the info given,i now find we have the cholesterol and weight loss sheets it states the cholesterol info is on the other sheet which of course we dont have,sugar is in the no list but sugar doesn't directly contribute to cholesterol yes it can contribute to weight gain which in turn can add seriously to the problem but yesterday Nancy thought it would have to be a cup of tea without it, as sweeteners are a definite no,you see these TV programs about the labelling of foods but dont realise how confusing and misleading they are until you read them.
We now have to separate the high cholesterol foods from the just weight gain foods and treat accordingly,anybody want to buy 4kg of lurpac butter bought while on offer lol!
Esermalda
Esermalda

Post by Esermalda on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 2:11 pm

another piece of useful? information is that grapefruit and grapefruit juice is contraindicated with statins, can't figure out why.
I hope her levels come down on diet alone, but being on statins is very easy to live with. I have been on mine for about 10 months and I really do feel better than I did before.
Esermalda
Esermalda

Post by Esermalda on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 2:13 pm

Mike, I had noticed that no one is arguing about your svelte figure comment.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 2:21 pm

Esermalda wrote:Mike, I had noticed that no one is arguing about your svelte figure comment.

I also have youth, good looks and charisma on my side lol! oh and i tell lies Very Happy
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 6:08 pm

Svelte figure Hmnnn I wonder if Nancy has a cholesterol problem from standing over the cooker so often making your bacon buns and teeny weeny chips lol!

Have to be honest though for a man of your age you are wearing okay and the amount you eat you should be the size of an elephant Help with high cholesterol 1208560806
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 6:47 pm

helen wrote:
Svelte figure Hmnnn I wonder if Nancy has a cholesterol problem from standing over the cooker so often making your bacon buns and teeny weeny chips lol!

Have to be honest though for a man of your age you are wearing okay and the amount you eat you should be the size of an elephant Help with high cholesterol 1208560806

Love you too Very Happy
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 7:36 pm

mike wrote:As i said i wasnt happy with the info given,i now find we have the cholesterol and weight loss sheets it states the cholesterol info is on the other sheet which of course we dont have,sugar is in the no list but sugar doesn't directly contribute to cholesterol yes it can contribute to weight gain which in turn can add seriously to the problem but yesterday Nancy thought it would have to be a cup of tea without it, as sweeteners are a definite no,you see these TV programs about the labelling of foods but dont realise how confusing and misleading they are until you read them.
We now have to separate the high cholesterol foods from the just weight gain foods and treat accordingly,anybody want to buy 4kg of lurpac butter bought while on offer lol!

4Kg of Lurpak. You don't have any friends in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] do you?

The reference to grapefruit reminds me that grapefruit or grapefruit juice seems to cause problems with lots of medication it's a very big no no with immunosuppressants as well.
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 17 Dec 2011, 5:15 am

Some sort of Enzyme in it, Cranberry juice is another one to avoid with some meds.

The one thing we seem to be avoiding as a major contributor is smoking Embarassed
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 17 Dec 2011, 5:42 am

helen wrote:Some sort of Enzyme in it, Cranberry juice is another one to avoid with some meds.

The one thing we seem to be avoiding as a major contributor is smoking Embarassed

No cholesterol in tobacco affraid
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 17 Dec 2011, 5:43 am

4Kg of Lurpak. You don't have any friends in Norway do you?

At £3 a kilo had to get some stock Very Happy
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 17 Dec 2011, 10:19 am

mike wrote:4Kg of Lurpak. You don't have any friends in Norway do you?

At £3 a kilo had to get some stock Very Happy

As per normal I wasn't too clear.

The friends in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] was a link to where you might try to sell it on to. Lurpak is produced in Denmark on the opposite side of the Skagerrak to Norway.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 20 Dec 2011, 8:30 pm

The Food Hospital on Channel 4 is dealing with high cholesterol amongst other things tonight.(Tues 20th)
Re-watchable on the I player.
Having watched it cover a topic I know something about I'd say take it with a pinch of salt,
but that wont help the blood pressure any!
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 6:29 am

Tow Itch wrote: The Food Hospital on Channel 4 is dealing with high cholesterol amongst other things tonight.(Tues 20th)
Re-watchable on the I player.
Having watched it cover a topic I know something about I'd say take it with a pinch of salt,
but that wont help the blood pressure any!

Thanks Kevin we cant do iplayer but will look at catch up to see if its on there.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:08 am

Sorry used wrong term 4 OD.
Most recent C4 programes are also featured on the home page of You Tube.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 12:49 pm

Found it on catch up thanks
back_to_the_boats

Help with high cholesterol Empty Colestral reducing

Post by back_to_the_boats on Thu 22 Dec 2011, 2:46 pm

I downloaded a diet sheet of the uk heart site? found Ice cream, cheese butter most oils and fats, pastry, pasties and pies, sausages and full cream milk where banned. On the plus side porridge is positive. Almonds are good so we snack on them instead of crisps and cheese. we only cook with olive oil I have tried making pastry with olive oil with mixed results my mince pies where good her Cornish pasties where a bit doubtful. STATINS seem to be awful. The whole knowledge base for cholesterol came from the Korean war wher for the first time a lot of young soldiers where being operated on in the M.A.S.H units and it was apparent that the G.I.s with the high fat diet where heading for heart trouble with clogged arteries. The olive oil diet knowledge came from a study done in the late fifties by a doctor who found that the people of Create had very healthy hearts and arteries, based on a diet of olive oil cooking. I will not know how good my iet is until I get retested in the summer but a moderate treat now and again plus whine and beer are good for you.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Thu 22 Dec 2011, 3:41 pm

If you take the no things as occasional treats and dont need to lose Weight at the same time it doesn't seam too bad
Esermalda
Esermalda

Post by Esermalda on Thu 22 Dec 2011, 10:21 pm

That about sums up my opinion too, mike.
As I said earlier, in the past I was really very dedicated to the good diet, i.e. very low fat vegetarian no alcohol( or rarely) diet.Since learning more about hyperlipidaemia(cholesterol)after my sister died and brothers heart attack and surgery and realising life is for NOW, I now eat sensibly use olive oil, except for pastry but then I don't bake as often as all that. OH! and I drink a glass of wine every day when not working, sometimes a big glass. I take the statins cos they work for me with no side effects and live better than when I was watching every calorie and making two different meals for myself and Mark(OH)
I have ice cream when I want, in moderation. Butter and lard to make the perfect pastry and Pasties. OH, and I lie sometimes too I occasionally have more than one glass of wine. and since I got menopausal, well dont get me started!!! Embarassed Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 05 Aug 2020, 12:25 pm