Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Butane or propane

Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Butane or propane Empty Butane or propane

Post by Helen on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 7:46 am

We use butane gas bottles with our Dandy but as we are going to camp all season are wondering if propane would be better. I have heard that butane can be a problem in cold weather and I think up to now we have just been lucky and not had any problems. scratch
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Butane or propane Empty Re: Butane or propane

Post by Eilis on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 9:40 am

I've heard from a variety of sources that it can cause problems in the cold so I switched recently. I'll let you know in the cold weather whether it makes a difference lol
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 3:29 pm

Propane is the way to go,butane stops gassing off at low temperatures,so may as well go with propane all year.
vickoir
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 5:31 pm

nick and i use propane it is much better in lower temperatures and as we live up north we have camped in some sub zero temperatures as the snow pic in my gallery proves and butane just wouldn't have cut it i'm afraid, our old delta had propane anyway, and when we got the designer it had 2 campingaz bottles promptly flogged these on flea bay went and got an ancient calor bottle (puce green date on bottle was 1964) from my cabin in weardale swapped it for a shiney new full propane bottle voila
(the calor bottle i had was so old the bloke at the tool shop where i swapped it asked if i had got it from hitlers bunker!!!)
but at 13.50 he could be as cheeky as he liked
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 2:33 pm

Butane will start to freeze at +8c Propane wont freeze until -40c i am not sure about campingaz but its a 80/20 butane propane mix so probably below zero.Butane is cleaner burning though so i suppose less carbon build up on burners.
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 3:11 pm

We are going to stick with butane for in season camping but will invest in a propane bottle and regulator for winter camping, or should I say from the end of August until beginning of May. Rolling Eyes
Downton
Downton

Butane or propane Empty Propane ..

Post by Downton on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 5:03 pm

Hi helen,we use propane at the caravan and even through the last 2 bad winters we have never had the propane let us down so when we got the Dandy we switched to Propane on that just in case..Also got it a teddy and night light as the poor thing spends most of its time alone in the garage.. Sad ..
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 5:10 pm

Ok I am convinced, are the bottles the same size as butane and will they fit in my dandy front box Question
and will I really have to get it a teddy lol!
vickoir
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 5:13 pm

helen wrote:Ok I am convinced, are the bottles the same size as butane and will they fit in my dandy front box Question

yep but they are red so dont match as well as blue pirat
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 5:14 pm

helen wrote:Ok I am convinced, are the bottles the same size as butane and will they fit in my dandy front box Question

What is commonly called the dumpy bottle is the same size in both flavours,as for camping gaz i found it soon stopped working when the temperature dropped,and very expensive.

mike
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 5:16 pm

affraid Not match oh no.......... I will have to have no gas in winter then rabbit
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 5:25 pm

yep campingaz is about £23 for a 2.7kg refill Propane is £13-15 for 3.9kg.Luckily the base of a 2.7kg campingaz bottle is same as a propane bottle so it fits perfectly into our bottle base rings.We sold 2 campingaz bottles 1 empty and 1 half full which covered the price of the change over to propane.Our caravan mechanic gave us a free regulator and some new hose as well cheers
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 5:27 pm

helen wrote:affraid Not match oh no.......... I will have to have no gas in winter then rabbit

you could always knit it a nice blue and white jacket to keep it warm and in the right colour Laughing
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 5:29 pm

Good thinking batman but I dont knit so I will have to get my mum involved. cheers
Lol and Steve
Lol and Steve

Post by Lol and Steve on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 6:34 pm

Hi Helen,

Have you got any of that nice blue material you covered your seats with left, if so make it a matching cover flower

lol!
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 8:59 am

I am going to see if our local place will swap one of my butane bottles for a propane one, that way I have one of each. I already have a propane regulator as we did have a massive propane bottle (never used with the dandy it was far too big) so this should do it.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 9:03 am

helen wrote:I am going to see if our local place will swap one of my butane bottles for a propane one, that way I have one of each. I already have a propane regulator as we did have a massive propane bottle (never used with the dandy it was far too big) so this should do it.

Should do ours will swap any way round,type or size.

mike
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 9:10 am

We always get our gas from them so we will see, we once took a bottle to them with a different fitting and they wouldn't swap that but these bottles are there's so fingers crossed.
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 10:54 am

i believe its company policy to exchange empty calor bottles for different bottles which can include different gas if requested.We exchanged a calor bottle that was date stamped 1966 for a new propane bottle much to the amusement of the shop.
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 11:16 am

We were given a bottle from a friend who had a caravan that got damaged (the caravan that is) and when we took it to change it was probably around 3 quarters full but they would not change it for anything even though it was calor gas just because of the fitting on the top of the bottle......... the reason we wanted it changing in the first place Sad
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 11:18 am

how odd, i've swapped a bottle for a different gas with no probs but it was the same size as the one i wanted so it was a straight swap and i only had to pay for the gas as the one i gave was empty
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:26 pm

helen wrote:
I am going to see if our local place will swap one of my butane bottles for a propane one, that way I have one of each. I already have a propane regulator as we did have a massive propane bottle (never used with the dandy it was far too big) so this should do it.

"We did have a massive propane bottle"

It's years since they used them! Are there still any advantages living alongside the motorway?

Kevin.
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:29 pm

Sadly not Kevin lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 26 Sep 2020, 7:38 am