Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

KristOns New Dandy Destiny

Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

KristOns New Dandy Destiny - Page 2 Empty Re: KristOns New Dandy Destiny

Post by Helen on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 4:39 pm

This is fairly cheap at £19.99

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Krist0n
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 5:27 pm

Thanks for creating a new thread for this topic. Much better now.
Not taken the oil filled rad back yet, but bought the 21.99 convector from argos, with £8 for the 3 year cover.

Just got to look out for a bargain awning. And it really does have to be a bargain.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 5:48 pm

Krist0n wrote:Thanks for creating a new thread for this topic. Much better now.
Not taken the oil filled rad back yet, but bought the 21.99 convector from argos, with £8 for the 3 year cover.

Just got to look out for a bargain awning. And it really does have to be a bargain.

There are ways of fixing caravan porch awnings one way is to screw the channel to the dandy so the awning beading slips in,in the next few weeks i hope to be experimenting with another system with no alterations to the dandy,as for the heater i know you will be a lot warmer with that.

mike
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 8:30 pm

KirstOn

RE your useless hitchlock. Also not exactly a high security hitchlock but if you have a cast hitch you could try:

Re your heater thats installed you have a propex type heater. If your pockets are deep enough you can have thermostats, timers, remote controls etc for these. I believe if you search hard enough you may even find a teasmade accessory.

The only two downsides are the battery drain and the noise as it switches on and off. Nick and Vicky are the only people I know with one.

If you are generally on hook ups and value every inch of storage space you may even get a trade in on one that is both gas and electric. Cheap is not a feature of propex heaters though!

Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 8:35 pm

Sorry the 1st link referred to doesn't work. It related to a file on Yahoo Dandy Owners Forum.
If your not aware the site isn't very active. Average one or two posts per month, but it does have a good store of files.
These range from old promotional material, press reviews and technical details.
I thought I'd signed off from Yahoo to test the link but even signing on this morning wont allow me to recover the link to the file.

Last edited by Tow Itch on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 9:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Krist0n
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 8:46 am

Tow Itch wrote:

Wrong first link but I'll leave that in place as you might want a look.
Try this:

Thanks Tow Hitch.

The above link didn't work though, and niether did the 1st one Sad
I was wondering how much of a problem thefts are regarding Dandys? And would a wheel clamp and my low security hitchlock suffice?

Re the heater. A thermostat would be good for the heater that's installed. But for night time, I think the 2kw convecter will be fine. Only time will tell!!
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 9:12 am

I've heard of 2 in the last few years and one theft of a stolen camper from a friend, there are probably more instances out there. Some insurances companies require certain levels of security so check that yours is okay for the company that you use.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 10:20 am

Krist0n wrote:
Tow Itch wrote:

Wrong first link but I'll leave that in place as you might want a look.
Try this:

Thanks Tow Hitch.

The above link didn't work though, and niether did the 1st one Sad
I was wondering how much of a problem thefts are regarding Dandys? And would a wheel clamp and my low security hitchlock suffice?

Re the heater. A thermostat would be good for the heater that's installed. But for night time, I think the 2kw convecter will be fine. Only time will tell!!

KirstOn

Re my previous post my links wont work, see my edited second comment for an explanation.

With regards to security if you have more than you need you may feel you over spent. It's far better than the sick feeling that you get one day if you underspent.
I speak from experience 3 motorcycles stolen (3 separate occasions) from a previous address no garage and I'd got to the point of spending about 60% of the value of the bikes on security devices.

Another aspect to security.
Is your Dandy going to be outside your house?
Does anyone in this position think of speaking to someone in a similar situation? If you find someone even just a few streets away and swap storage of trailers then you don't have a big sign displayed when your away saying "Oh look the campers gone I'm away"
Krist0n
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 1:17 pm

The Dandy will mostly be kept in the garage when not being worked on or cleaned on the drive, so that's not such a problem really It's when on a quite camping grounds or something that I'm worried about. (although, probably completely unnecessarily.

Another thing I've just thought about. What would you do in the instance that your Dandy was hitched up to the car, and you were leaving it unnatended for a while ie. at services or something.

Re enough security. I have a £60 wheel clamp, and the cheap £25 hitchlock that doesn't cover the nuts and bolts. Would any of you get more, or make do with the current setup?

The c&cc insurance just requires that there is one fitted. They weren't interested in the make or model of the security, just that there was a device in place.
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:30 pm

Nick and Vicki have a lock for when they are at services so it can't be taken, I'm sure vicki will let you know which one. Very Happy
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 4:30 pm

Krist0n wrote:The Dandy will mostly be kept in the garage when not being worked on or cleaned on the drive, so that's not such a problem really It's when on a quite camping grounds or something that I'm worried about. (although, probably completely unnecessarily.

Another thing I've just thought about. What would you do in the instance that your Dandy was hitched up to the car, and you were leaving it unnatended for a while ie. at services or something.

Re enough security. I have a £60 wheel clamp, and the cheap £25 hitchlock that doesn't cover the nuts and bolts. Would any of you get more, or make do with the current setup?

The c&cc insurance just requires that there is one fitted. They weren't interested in the make or model of the security, just that there was a device in place.

Mine isnt a brilliant hitch lock i rely on the wheel clamp and insurance.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 8:22 pm

Krist0n wrote:The Dandy will mostly be kept in the garage when not being worked on or cleaned on the drive, so that's not such a problem really It's when on a quite camping grounds or something that I'm worried about. (although, probably completely unnecessarily.

Insurance accept (at least the policy I enquired about did) that if hitched at a service station then they don't expect more security.
Found a link for the lock I was thinking about, but in reality it's a different type of hitch.

A lock for the linkage to the hitch is available the SAS one is the most well known.

I've become aware that going from an old fashioned set up with a chain to keep the trailer attached to a newer break away cable set up that I don't want to leave my Dandy on the second lane of the M6 with the brakes applied. Should anything go wrong.
So I'm going to fit a chain. If I do that with a lock as well then it might not be high security but it slows the opportunist.
Old Dandys with the Bradley rod brakes have a hole in the hitch to put a padlock through. I drilled mine out by about 2mm to allow a more substantial lock. (There is plenty of spare metal.)
vickoir
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 10:24 pm

Helen wrote:Nick and Vicki have a lock for when they are at services so it can't be taken, I'm sure vicki will let you know which one. Very Happy

the hitch lock we have is an sas eagle hitchlock i'm sure nick done a review of it last year on here
found it
Krist0n
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Sun 15 Jan 2012, 9:08 am

OKAY.

I have returned the naff 450watt radiator, and bought a 2KW convector. Thanks Mike for the advice. (convector was actually cheaper too)

I have swapped the £25 ball type hitchlock (this link is more expensive) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

for a £40 one that covers the bolts [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The new one can also be put on whilst hitched too, so that also solved that problem. Thank you to everyone for the advise.

Regards

Kriston
Krist0n
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Wed 25 Jan 2012, 8:53 pm

ARGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Worst nightmare!!!! The Dandy has been sat on the drive, erected since I bought it, and all has been fine, until the heavy rain came. We seem to have a leak. Where the side walls fold, water is somehow getting in and coming through behind the hinges. This is happening on both side walls, but only in one spot on each wall. It is almost right at the end of the trailer where the benches are. I havn't a clue how it's getting in though??? KristOns New Dandy Destiny - Page 2 143088812 KristOns New Dandy Destiny - Page 2 143088812 KristOns New Dandy Destiny - Page 2 143088812
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 25 Jan 2012, 9:02 pm

Just trying to picture where you mean, is it the walls with the windows and door or the end walls where the beds are
Krist0n
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Thu 26 Jan 2012, 5:32 am

It's the solid walls with the windows and the door.

On the outside, the top half of the wall has a lip that goes over the lower wall to avoid water dripping in. I'm presuming the water is somehow getting behind the lip where it is joined to the top half of the wall.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Thu 26 Jan 2012, 11:38 am

Krist0n wrote:It's the solid walls with the windows and the door.

On the outside, the top half of the wall has a lip that goes over the lower wall to avoid water dripping in. I'm presuming the water is somehow getting behind the lip where it is joined to the top half of the wall.

From your description there are two pieces of lip one fixed to the top wall and one that overlaps the bottom wall,is there also a piece that goes out of the back and under the bottom of the top wall for fixing,if so i think you may be right as the water entering at the top would flow on the last piece and end up inside,first thing i would say is ring ian at riva he must have come across this problem before and may know an easy fix,if not i guess the best answer would be to remove it and refit with silicone behind,if you dont fancy doing that the seek and seal you use on windscreen may work,at least it seeps behind rather than being seen.

mike
selkie

KristOns New Dandy Destiny - Page 2 Empty Kristons New Dandy

Post by selkie on Thu 26 Jan 2012, 6:23 pm

Hooray a new dandy for Krison. sorry to hear you have a leak, I'm sure it will get sorted, then you can look forward to the camping season ahead...enjoy! Very Happy
Lyn
Krist0n
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Thu 26 Jan 2012, 8:06 pm

Thanks Lyn. I'm sure we will suss it out before too long.

Spoke to Ian at Riva today. He hasn't come accross this problem before, and is totally baffled. I will get it dry inside (hopefully) and fold her away, and see if I can see anything untoward when it's folded, and I can see under the joint. That seek and seal isn't available any more Mike, but there are other similar products out there, and could certainly be an option. They can apparantly be used whilst water is present too.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:02 am

KirstOn

It all got a bit long winded trying to explain where the leak is. (Phrases you thought you'd never hear Kevin saying someone else was long winded)
I'd be no better but I do know a picture is worth a thousand words. I was going to ask you about photographing the area but I think I remember you're not up to speed with hosting photos.
Well neither am I, but can you take some photos with your mobile of the wet and it's likely runs?
Someone might be nice enough to offer to host them if you can send them as a message?
OK with that Kirston?
OK tech person to help?
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 27 Jan 2012, 5:02 am

Krist0n if i have missed some thing and your are having trouble uploading pictures pm me and i will give you my phone number or email for you to send the pictures and then i can upload them for you.

mike
Krist0n
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Fri 27 Jan 2012, 5:40 am

Thank you for the offers, but it's not the hosting of the pics I'm having trouble with, it's the time to take the pics in the first place lol. If anyone wants to host a 2 year old and a 5 month old, whilst the other 2 are at school, then I may get some time. KristOns New Dandy Destiny - Page 2 143088812

I will try again today to get out there. If the rain stops for long enough, I might get chance to pour a little water on the suspected bits and see if it leaks in or not. English weather!!! Mad

Cheers again.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 27 Jan 2012, 10:30 am

Thank you for the offers, but it's not the hosting of the pics I'm having trouble with, it's the time to take the pics in the first place lol. If anyone wants to host a 2 year old and a 5 month old, whilst the other 2 are at school, then I may get some time.

affraid

Just been in a caravan spares shop and they had some sealer i thought i must remember the name,guess what i forgot Very Happy
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 27 Jan 2012, 10:46 am

Your not far from us Kriston and we have heavy hailstone today, so you may have to wait a bit longer.

Chances are that its not the point where it's getting in (hinges) that are the problem, we had something similar but it was running along from elsewhere and getting in at our door hinges .......... the hardest part was finding where it was coming from.

We have an almost 2 year old grandchild, she is at the age where you can't turn your back for a second and need several pairs of hands KristOns New Dandy Destiny - Page 2 9639063

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 08 Aug 2020, 3:35 pm