Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+9
selkie
Helen
Tow Itch
Cazz
mike
Eilis
Esermalda
vickoir
Krist0n
13 posters

KristOns New Dandy Destiny

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

KristOns New Dandy Destiny - Page 4 Empty Re: KristOns New Dandy Destiny

Post by mike Sun 29 Jan 2012, 8:56 am

Further to your roof strings over the window if it works like mine the strings are only used in very bad weather when you wouldn't want the window open any way,still not ideal though.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sun 29 Jan 2012, 4:02 pm

Nice looking Dandy, sorry to hear about your leak, fingers crossed you manage to fix it ok, as you said it now makes it your own.

Selkie said it makes theirs look ancient, what does that make ours? lol!
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Sun 29 Jan 2012, 8:55 pm

As mentioned yesterday, I have managed to get behind the panel under the window. I dried the pvc behind, and as far as I could reach with a spatula (had it in my pocket) Wink (You never know when you might need a spatula). Shocked Anyway, got it totally dry within a 2 ft radius. During the night we had no rain, yet today it was soaked again. I know there is going to be much more wet in between the wall and the pvc that I didnt reach, and that may effect the dry bit, but this was soaked.

My thoughts are, if it's freezing outside, and the heating is on in the Dandy, is it normal to get so much wet in between the solid wall and the pvc? Has anyone witnessed it?

The main reason for asking is this. Because of the rain getting in-between, I was thinking I was going to have to take all the panels off to dry the inside. But if it's normal to get wet due to condensation, then I don't need to take ALL the panels off. I will just take the small panel off to find the leak if possible.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 29 Jan 2012, 9:01 pm

I think Mike had something like that over Christmas with his diy insulation. It is possible that you have found your answer with the cold air hitting warm air inside scratch
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 29 Jan 2012, 10:33 pm

It was only just before packing up at Christmas that I realised about condensation.
    Never had any issues with condensation with the Green Un.
    Lifted the bed and but for the top being dry I would have thought I'd had a major accident.
    Got my hand behind the wall at the window end it was absolutely sodden. The genius idea of insulating the walls but the now colour coded sides are only single skin.
    It was wet to the point where you could easily believe it was a leak.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:42 pm

The destiny is constructed on the sides the same as our 6 and condensation on the pvc is something i have suspected must happen, after all an air gap between the inner cladding and the pvc is not a thermal barrier so this could easily be why you have wet pvc,the leak is confusing me just a little because if the previous owner had suffered from it you would have seen staining on the seat board if no where else,then to get it both sides when normally it rains from only one direction is also a little confusing,if you can put the wet pvc down to condensation then maybe nothing to worry about as unlike caravans there is no insulation to get soaked and hold the water,where your cushions in place before you noticed the water if not did you have a lot of heat in the dandy as that piece of wall is normally very cold when the cushions are there even if you have a very warm to hot interior.
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Tue 31 Jan 2012, 5:04 am

No Mike, I didn't notice the water stains under the cushions until I saw the damp patch. The water stains where slightly bigger than the wet patch. I spoke the seller, and he said he was out in gail force winds and terrential rain and it got under the roof overlaps coz he didn't have it tied down tightly enough.?!?!!!

I spoke to Ian again today, and he said that there shouldn't be any condensation in the cavity, It does make more sense that there WOULD be condensation inside though.

My plan of action is to take the smaller panel off from the inside of the Dandy and see if I can see behind the larger panel enough to see where the water is coming in. If I can't see it, then the large panel will have to come off too. Sad The large panel has all sorts of nuts and bolts going through it, not just a few rivets.

Ian also reckons that if I fix the leak, the cavity should dry out without having to take the panels off, so hopefully I'll find it by just taking the small panel off.

I don't suppose anyone has xray glasses???
    I did think of trying to borrow a damp meter, but with all the condensation in there, I think it might be a waste of time.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 31 Jan 2012, 6:38 am

Might you know anyone who had [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:20 am

Perhaps it would be easier to do the gutterings over the windows and doors as a precaution and see if that sorts it out before you have to start taking large panels off. I noticed the larger staining around the damp patch and wondered if it was dry staining or all damp, if it's dry then the problem has happened before perhaps the owner just didn't notice it Shocked

It just seems a bit odd that both sides have the problem scratch

Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Wed 01 Feb 2012, 4:57 am

Yes Helen, there is staining there, and it has happened before, although the seller of the Dandy told me it was in gale force and terrential rain, and it had got under the roof. Whether he realised it had a leak or not I'm not sure, but he denied knowledge.

As for the guttering, there is already metal guttering above the window. That's actually one of my suspect spots. Did you say you installed guttering on yours? If so, why? And do you have pics of it?
    Cheers Helen
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:16 am

Helen wrote:Ours is a designer Kriston, it was getting in at the door frame and running along the edge that buts up against the frame then along the fold in the door and came out inside the door on the bottom section. Ours was a lot easier to deal with as we don't have a pvc outer wall and solid inner wall

You can even tell him the problem now you have found it so it wont take him long to deal with it.

Reply 67 onwards Kriston, we had an easier job of it than you. I have spoken to another person a while ago who had the same problem as us but couldn't figure out where the water was coming from and they checked and had the same problem as us. affraid Ours was an easy fix stick on motorhome gutter

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:42 pm

Helen did you use some strange tool to get the link from Door Gutter?
    Using the link fom here and all previous references on the linked page to Doors and gutters have Door and Gutter in red?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:47 am

Perhaps it's because I did a search for the thread and then posted it as a link KristOns New Dandy Destiny - Page 4 3208163979
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Tue 14 Feb 2012, 8:59 pm

OMG. Took Dandy down with my 12 year old lad today. Only took about 4 hours lol.
    It took a while to suss out how everything needs to be layed out inside.

The written "putting up" instructions/diagrams didn't really help with putting it down, most of it was godd guess work, so that made it slow going too.

Then we had to get it in the garage. This took us about another hour. There was about 1mm either side of the wheel arches lol. The gas struts were actually pushing the hinge mechanism on the garage outwards.(The garage door hinge thingys are on the inside of the doorway leaving even less room at that height).
    At one point I really thought it wasn't going to go in. I can see the wheel arches getting damaged rather quickly though Sad
    We got there in the end though,

Going to get her back out again this week, and put her back up, and back down again, just for the practise as we have our first holiday booked at a forest holiday at the foot of Mount Snowdon in April. cheers cheers cheers
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Wed 15 Feb 2012, 8:27 pm

watch U TUBE type in putting up a dandy I played it a few times then went and put mine up and I struggled then watched it again then knew what they talking about even though mines a 6 it made it easier. hope this helps Very Happy Very Happy
    vessey44
    vessey44

Post by vessey44 Wed 15 Feb 2012, 8:55 pm

Tow Itch wrote: Might you know anyone who had [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ive got one of these from Snap-on

Has a good length or cable & a small 3" screen to look at

If its needed im sure we can come to an agreement where you could borrow it
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Wed 15 Feb 2012, 9:27 pm

That's very kind of you Vessey. Thank you for the offer. I may take you up on it in the future, but for now, I will wait to see if it leaks again, or if it was just condensation.

Caz, I will take a look at the other dandys on You tube, see If I can see any hints or tips.
    naedoot
    naedoot

Post by naedoot Wed 15 Feb 2012, 10:23 pm

Caz1960 wrote:watch U TUBE type in putting up a dandy I played it a few times then went and put mine up and I struggled then watched it again then knew what they talking about even though mines a 6 it made it easier. hope this helps Very Happy Very Happy

had to watch the clip on youtube also as we had a fun filled evening gettin ours up.

realised afterwards that 4 bits of string would have helped.

do you realise how stupid you look after you try and pull the the entire roof pvc over the poles by hand - I do.
    didnt help that we had the roof section over the wrong end to start with - Embarassed

however at least it was dark so nobody could see us Smile

you live and learn - hopefully over the next few nights we can get our time down
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Thu 16 Feb 2012, 5:24 am

LOL naedoot. Maybe you shoulda watched the youtube clip BEFORE you put it up. Laughing

I don't know about your Dandy, but the sides are sooooooo heavy to lift up on ours, as they are the full length of the Trailer, which is long lol. It really does take a bit of strength to push it up into place.

What are the four bits of string you mention? Is it the ones that connect to the roof hoops/bars to stop them folding down? Or is there another use I don't know about?

There is a local Dandy meet only about 15 miles from my house, so going to pay them a visit this weekend hopefully, and take the Dandy along to get some help. Will let you know how I get on.
    naedoot
    naedoot

Post by naedoot Thu 16 Feb 2012, 7:44 am

Krist0n

seemingly these bits go from the metal frame that holds the roof up and tie onto bed base so that when you lift the bed end with the fixed roof part it pulls the metal roof frame up along with the roof - however without these the frame doesnt lift itself.

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 16 Feb 2012, 8:25 am

Must admit although we watched the little orange Dandy being erected we didn't take much notice of how it went up or down because we thought it would be the same as ours ......... took us a while to figure out why one side hoop seemed to be far too short and what the storm pole was lol! It was also folded all wrong to begin with so we had the job of pulling the roof over too.

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:14 pm

I don't know about your Dandy, but the sides are sooooooo heavy to lift up on ours, as they are the full length of the Trailer, which is long lol. It really does take a bit of strength to push it up into place.

Now this surprises me as i would have thought you had gas struts on the sides my 6 is very similar and with struts its a one handed job.

mike
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:34 pm

naedoot wrote:Krist0n

seemingly these bits go from the metal frame that holds the roof up and tie onto bed base so that when you lift the bed end with the fixed roof part it pulls the metal roof frame up along with the roof - however without these the frame doesnt lift itself.

Yes, I know the ones. Our first time, we didn't attatch them to the bed, so had to get inside and clamber over the beds to list them up.
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:36 pm

mike wrote:quote

Now this surprises me as i would have thought you had gas struts on the sides my 6 is very similar and with struts its a one handed job.

mike

I wonder if the struts are shot?? Is there any way of making them better that you know of? Certainly not a one hand job. I'm not an athletic guy, but certainly not a wimp either. And these walls make me look like a wimp lol.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:43 pm

Krist0n wrote:
    mike wrote:quote

mike

I wonder if the struts are shot?? Is there any way of making them better that you know of? Certainly not a one hand job. I'm not an athletic guy, but certainly not a wimp either. And these walls make me look like a wimp lol.

Thats something i dont know so hopefully some one else will pick this up and answer,the only way i can think is to remove both from one wall and with care see how it feels to raise.

mike

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 12:15 am