Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

weight issue

naedoot
naedoot

weight issue Empty weight issue

Post by naedoot on Thu 19 Jan 2012, 8:23 pm

Evening,

having read the forum about weights etc

Im still clueless

the dandy 6 says
Weight unladen----------------500kg
Weight laden-------------------745kg

is this the weight as standard unladen and maximum the chassis can take is 750gks?

all this about nose weights and trains - etc
my car seeminlgy states
gross train weight = 3077kgs
gross trailer weight (with brakes) = 1300 with out brakes 666
nose weight = 66kgs
does this mean I can tow a maw 1300kgs of trailer with brakes and 666kgs with no brakes?
if I load the dandy till it weighs 750kgs I have 13kgs left before the nose weight it reached ?

sorry but im totally lost
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

weight issue Empty Re: weight issue

Post by Helen on Fri 20 Jan 2012, 12:01 am

Im still clueless

the dandy 6 says

is this the weight as standard unladen and maximum the chassis can take is 750gks?

You got this bit right, your Dandy will weigh 500kg (not bad for a 6 berth) you can then allow your wife and children to fill it up under the seats, in the cupboards under the table top and even on top of the folded camper if your anything like us with another 245kg. That's an awful lot of stuff Laughing

Nose weights are not my forte so I will leave someone more knowledgeable to explain.
Krist0n
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Fri 20 Jan 2012, 4:36 am

I'm glad you asked the question naedoot.
I was going to ask excactly the same thing once I found what my max nose weight was for my Zafira.
Glad I'm not the only one completely baffled by it.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 20 Jan 2012, 6:39 am

naedoot wrote:Evening,

Im still clueless

the dandy 6 says

all this about nose weights and trains - etc
my car seeminlgy states
gross train weight = 3077kgs
gross trailer weight (with brakes) = 1300 with out brakes 666
nose weight = 66kgs
does this mean I can tow a maw 1300kgs of trailer with brakes and 666kgs with no brakes?
if I load the dandy till it weighs 750kgs I have 13kgs left before the nose weight it reached ?

sorry but im totally lost

You seem to have it basicly right there are other considerations about towing limits but looking at your details they dont enter into your considerations so i wont confuse the issue.
yes your unladen wieght is 500kg and yes you can load 245kg of gear into and onto the dandy remember when loading any trailer its always best to get heavy items (awning and frame) over or evenly spread over the axle area,i dont understand maybe its early yet where the 13 kg left before nose wieght is from the nose wieght is the pressure applied to the tow ball when the dandy is hitched up,this can be checked by raising the jockey wheel slightly and balancing the dandy towing hitch on a piece of wood which in turn sits on bathroom scales,i say raising the jockey wheel slightly in case the unit slips off the wood then it will only drop a short distance.
The 6 is one of the easy ones to get the nose wieght right on because you can adjust the load by where you fold the roof up more roof at the front will increase the nose wieght.
The other item to give a little thought to is you will have maximum loads allowed on (an old term but)each car axle so if you have kids on the back seat and the boot stuffed full of heavy gear you could over load your rear axle,this one is not an exact science the only way i know of doing it is a visual check on how low the car sits when fully loaded.

I may have missed it somewhere but what car are you towing with to give you an idea i tow a 6 leagaly with a 1200 punto.

mike

Last edited by mike on Fri 20 Jan 2012, 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
naedoot
naedoot

Post by naedoot on Fri 20 Jan 2012, 6:52 am

Mike

thanks for that

its a 56 plate 1600 hdi C4 5 door

just had to get it right in my head about the max weights etc

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 20 Jan 2012, 6:56 am

The above post i have tried to keep simple its all too easy when answering questions like this to quote realms of facts that only confuse the issue if any thing is still not clear please ask.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 20 Jan 2012, 9:24 am

I'll add my to penny worth and hopefully not confuse.
The 66Kg quoted as nose weight, I obviously haven't read your manual but I take this to be a maximum nose weight.
This is slightly less than I might expect with a trailer mass of 1300Kg.
Why? We generally work on a nose weight of 7% of the trailer mass (Actual Mass at the time anywhere between 500Kg and 750Kg {745Kg? what's 5Kg between friends} dependant on added load) The 7% can be varied if directions on the trailer specify otherwise.
So for 1300Kg you would expect a noseweight of 91Kg and for 750Kg 52.5Kg. This is a guide and the nearer you are to in the better but you will become aware of you general running order so unless you change this radically I can't see a need to measure the noseweight every time you tow. (this last line was an opinion, others may disagree.
Noseweight can be measured by a special device or a block on bathroom scales. Subtract the weight of the block and the combined height of the block and scale should be the same as the height of your towbar.
As Mike said the heaviest Items should be centred across the axle. If you imagine doing the opposite and loading up your gas locker then putting weight at the rear to get a correct noseweight. If we then have any instability we can see the weights at the front and back act like a pendulum pivoting about the axle so prolonging any snake or vertical oscillation.
Not wanting to confuse but though addressing an issue of a vehicle with no given towing mass this does explain more.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 20 Jan 2012, 9:43 am

We check once a year, we put things in the same place inside the Dandy ie:- windbreaks tuck in one side, loo cleaned emptied and put in a black bin bag under the table when packed roof on one side awning on the other with other stuff such as folding wardrobe, water butts, folding bbq, the cushions have a certain place in the Dandy and we always put the pull off sink and cooker unit in the same place too, plastic folding tables sit on the top in the centre under the cover and it's the same places every time. Everything has it's own place and it makes it easier when packing away to know where it is, all other stuff is in the roofbox or back of the car. In theory this means the nose weight should be around the same every time we tow.

That's our theory anyway and it seems to work okay Laughing
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 21 Jan 2012, 8:32 am

For £14.95 delivered this would help and won't break the bank, they even have second hand ones starting at 99p on ebay

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Sun 22 Jan 2012, 3:37 pm

we have a 50kg noseweight yet the car can legally tow 1200kg which 10kg more than the car weighs.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 06 Aug 2020, 2:08 pm