Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

Awning Alternatives Chat

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Awning Alternatives Chat Empty Re: Awning Alternatives Chat

Post by mike Wed 15 Feb 2012, 5:11 pm

Krist0n wrote:I didn't know about the quick release for the gas. Will look into that.
    What do you mean about the awning offers?
    Do you think this one would fit?>>> [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Is that a caravan awning if so i cant imagine it would be easy to fit,as for size you need to measure from the floor up the wall along the roof and down to the floor but i know there are problems as to awning wall height and other things ,to me though a caravan awning isnt the answer as one reason i chose a dandy was no where to dry it so i would have the same problem with an awning.Free standing awnings can be great but its never easy to tell if they will fit or not,you can look at the tunnel depth and think yes that's enough to allow the door to open but if the tunnel is low or high compared to the dandy roof the sloping down or up of the tunnel to meet this height will lose depth.
    I have a free standing that fits my 6 but its taller than the six so i didnt need the tunnel it just stood tight against the dandy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Wed 15 Feb 2012, 9:23 pm

Do you know what make and model that awning is Mike?
    I totally understand what you mean about the caravan awning not being the right answer. So freestanding it is.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 16 Feb 2012, 8:49 am

I had a similar free standing awning it was a Royal Kensington lightweight. The height could be adjusted too, you dont have to use the rear tunnel as I did. It was far taller than my Dandy and although worked well I didn't like the shape of it with my roof shape. I would suggest that you check the height of any freestanding awning you consider, some are made for large motorhomes and have a good height. I have no experience of the Royal Kensington on a Destiny and it may not be tall enough so you would have to check the size first.

The Destiny has more height than earlier Dandy's and the acrylic awnings that Dandy supplied with them were very similar to caravan awnings except they didn't use an awning rail they used a zip. If you can find a free standing awning that your happy with on your destiny it is the route to go down rather than drilling.

I have seen destiny's with awning rails drilled through to the frame and I personally don't like it as it also has to go through the pvc. If I was going to buy a destiny I would give a wide berth to one that had this done - that is my personal opinion only but if you do this and go on to sell there will be people like me who will not go for one with this modification. I would worry about drilling holes in my frame and pvc skin and water ingress causing problems that you can't see to the framework ......... if they were meant to have an awning rail I think Riva would have done this.

Please note though this is only my personal opinion.

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:10 pm

Krist0n wrote:Do you know what make and model that awning is Mike?
    I totally understand what you mean about the caravan awning not being the right answer. So freestanding it is.

Will sort it out and let you know,they are not made any more but do come up on ebay,i cut most of the side tunnel off and left it on the top to go under the dandy roof but never finished it but ime sure it would be easy to do,the other benefit with free standing is if it comes home wet it will free stand to dry.
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:41 pm

That's great. Thank you Mike and Helen.

How do the free standing ones "attatch" to the dandy? How do you stop the elements where they join? With a rail, I can see how this is achieved, but without one?

Thanks again
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:46 pm

Krist0n wrote:That's great. Thank you Mike and Helen.

How do the free standing ones "attatch" to the dandy? How do you stop the elements where they join? With a rail, I can see how this is achieved, but without one?

Thanks again

With my system it was just a close fit down the sides and the tunnel goes under the dandy roof at the top.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 16 Feb 2012, 2:02 pm

On my Royal Kensington you can see how I put the tunnel around and over my Dandy, this was due to the roof shape. It was very similar to the one you can see in Mikes picture but made of lightweight stuff, the front could zip off and the rear was the same as Mikes but we also had side doors and fly screens. The rear tunnel was very deep and could have been altered a little to tuck under the roofline.

May split this to create an Awning Chat thread.
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Awning Alternatives Chat Empty Awning Alternatives Chat

Post by Krist0n Thu 16 Feb 2012, 2:24 pm

Good idea to move the topic. I was thinking the same myself.

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 16 Feb 2012, 2:33 pm

Now it's been split Very Happy
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 16 Feb 2012, 4:37 pm

I found the awning stood against the dandy and guyed in the right direction gave a tight fit but had thought if needed a piece of pipe lagging on the frame next to the dandy would help.

mike
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 16 Feb 2012, 7:53 pm

Helen wrote:Now it's been split Very Happy

But not with alternative awnings?

As you don't have any awning and (if I've been remembering your posts correctly) you have been Kiddy farming, have you looked at Carl's solution? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    The right acrylic awning (remembering TVS would shorten a long one)would look as good possibly be better than the original.
    If you can bide your time and keep looking.
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Thu 16 Feb 2012, 8:40 pm

Is Carls awning a normal caravan awning as opposed to a drive away one? This looks a lot better for us, as there are a few of us to squeeze in there.
    naedoot
    naedoot

Post by naedoot Thu 16 Feb 2012, 10:06 pm

Mike - I like that awning can you let me know the make please
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Thu 16 Feb 2012, 10:15 pm

naedoot wrote:Mike - I like that awning can you let me know the make please
    Me too. Also, what size is it?
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 17 Feb 2012, 6:05 am

Will try to sort the details today,but on the subject of caravan awnings if drying is no problem the the caravan awning will give you more space,i have never met Carl but he strikes me as the type that can make a cracking job of any thing some people are like this, others arnt ime in the others arnt group so would have to limit my projects to suit,there is no doubt Carls awning is absolutely great.
    I have no details but in the Yahoo group members pictures there was a set with the type of awning below fitted and it looked good,these can be bought in different sizes but height ect would need checking.

The six/destiny type are more difficult to accommodate with a none standard awning than the 4/5 berth
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 17 Feb 2012, 6:51 am

A note about the above some models have support poles that rest on the caravan others have them that slip into pockets sewn onto the awning next to the dandy roof these are the best
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 17 Feb 2012, 6:55 am

Found it i guess its a bit on the small side but they have made a very neat job

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:18 am

mike wrote:
    I have no details but in the Yahoo group members pictures there was a set with the type of awning below fitted and it looked good,these can be bought in different sizes but height ect would need checking.

The six/destiny type are more difficult to accommodate with a none standard awning than the 4/5 berth

I've seen this exact awning on a destiny high side same colour too in the middle of a field in Wales, there was some sort of caravan rally going on and we didn't get a close up of it so don't know how it was fitted but it looked okay and was a good size, for me it would depend again on the drilling thing. I think we may end up getting a larger dandy in the end so will keep an eye out for awning idea's too.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:22 am

Helen wrote:
    mike wrote:

I've seen this exact awning on a destiny high side same colour too in the middle of a field in Wales, there was some sort of caravan rally going on and we didn't get a close up of it so don't know how it was fitted but it looked okay and was a good size, for me it would depend again on the drilling thing. I think we may end up getting a larger dandy in the end so will keep an eye out for awning idea's too.

If the poles go into pockets i dont think you need to do any drilling
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:24 am

I don't think you do on a low side destiny or a 6 but on a high side I'm not sure it reaches the roof line so perhaps you would need some sort of fixing to the dandy ?
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 17 Feb 2012, 1:46 pm

Helen wrote:
    mike wrote:

Helens getting a big one affraid
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 17 Feb 2012, 6:32 pm

I think we will be doing Mike, we will keep the designer until we see how we cope with a big one. Smile
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sat 18 Feb 2012, 12:04 am

Helen wrote:I think we will be doing Mike, we will keep the designer until we see how we cope with a big one. Smile

Awning Alternatives Chat 3355420168

Will it be a lowside in which [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

or a highside hopefully the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] will be sufficient.
    If it's a pre 1997 licence you have your OK up to 8.25 tonnes.

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 18 Feb 2012, 12:19 pm

naedoot wrote:Mike - I like that awning can you let me know the make please

The only details on it are NR awnings, i have a feeling it was a motor chataeu (spelling)but there may have been two heights if so this was the tallest.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 8:14 pm