Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Got my new cover

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Got my new cover Empty Got my new cover

Post by mike on Fri 17 Feb 2012, 11:07 am

As the title says but have decided to keep the original one on for storage and just use the new one for transit,the reasons being keep the new cover clean, the old one has two small holes in it but this is no problem as we always have a builders clear sheet under and also the main reason for replacement the old one isn't deep enough to get much under when travelling but with it being short it allows better air circulation while stood.
One thing i will mention is ours is stored on the front and we get plenty of idiots at night so on top of the folded roof under the cover we have two sheets of hardboard so if the cover gets slashed it shouldn't get through to the roof.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Owd Lad
Owd Lad

Got my new cover Empty Re' New Cover

Post by Owd Lad on Fri 17 Feb 2012, 1:44 pm

Mike, Nice looking cover and no reason for anyone to run into the back of you now. The extra depth has got to be useful for storing items on top during transit. One of the faults with the Designer cover is that it only just covers the 'low bed' side and we have to be careful about what goes on top. Don't remember it being as much of a problem with our old Designer. I notice that the bungee buttons are in line with the bottom of the cover. Does this cause any problems or are you likely to have to move them down a little to maintain tension on the bungee? I suppose that, with the extra depth, there could be a reasonable argument for having two rows of buttons, depending on how much gear you carry on top.

Steve
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Got my new cover Empty Re: Got my new cover

Post by mike on Fri 17 Feb 2012, 1:52 pm

Owd Lad wrote:Mike, Nice looking cover and no reason for anyone to run into the back of you now. The extra depth has got to be useful for storing items on top during transit. One of the faults with the Designer cover is that it only just covers the 'low bed' side and we have to be careful about what goes on top. Don't remember it being as much of a problem with our old Designer. I notice that the bungee buttons are in line with the bottom of the cover. Does this cause any problems or are you likely to have to move them down a little to maintain tension on the bungee? I suppose that, with the extra depth, there could be a reasonable argument for having two rows of buttons, depending on how much gear you carry on top.

Steve

Steve hoping when i sort out how to carry stuff under the cover probaly in something like the under bed plastic containers this will raise the cover enough to use the current buttons if not then i will fit another row,with the old cover being shallow a lot of air is forced in when moving causing the cover to inflate and there was always a risk rain would get in during transit.
Owd Lad
Owd Lad

Got my new cover Empty Re' Got my new cover

Post by Owd Lad on Fri 17 Feb 2012, 4:15 pm

Mike,
Now you've got me thinking! I've had to go out and check around. There's only the 'high bed' side where the cover provides deep cover (well, 4"). The other three sides only have a couple of inches of cover which are quickly used up with items stored under the cover (even the awning, if you're not careful.) It's enough, just, but certainly not excessive. One of the differences from the older covers is that the bungees for our cover are attached to a 2" pvc strip, welded onto the main body of the cover, a few inches above the edge. It does mean that the run of the bungees seem to hold the edge down better and prevents wind getting underneath. It's a pity that the cover wasn't produced with the depth that you are now benefitting from but with the bungee strip set at the same height, thus giving plenty of overlap but no problems with bungee tensioning. I wonder if it could be extended easily?

Also, having looked and tapped the panels, fitting another row of buttons could prove to be a problem as there seems to be a lack of secure anchoring places for them.

All this thinking has made my 'ead 'urt. I'd better stop and go and rest it

Steve
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 17 Feb 2012, 4:26 pm

Owd Lad wrote:Mike,
Now you've got me thinking! I've had to go out and check around. There's only the 'high bed' side where the cover provides deep cover (well, 4"). The other three sides only have a couple of inches of cover which are quickly used up with items stored under the cover (even the awning, if you're not careful.) It's enough, just, but certainly not excessive. One of the differences from the older covers is that the bungees for our cover are attached to a 2" pvc strip, welded onto the main body of the cover, a few inches above the edge. It does mean that the run of the bungees seem to hold the edge down better and prevents wind getting underneath. It's a pity that the cover wasn't produced with the depth that you are now benefitting from but with the bungee strip set at the same height, thus giving plenty of overlap but no problems with bungee tensioning. I wonder if it could be extended easily?

Also, having looked and tapped the panels, fitting another row of buttons could prove to be a problem as there seems to be a lack of secure anchoring places for them.

All this thinking has made my 'ead 'urt. I'd better stop and go and rest it

Steve

As the correct depth was an educated guess the chap that made it said he could sew a extra piece on the cover i had in a complimentary colour to make it more useful but i decided to go with a new cover.If i need to fit new buttons i think i could do it along the bottom of the panel which benefits from a steel section behind it,as you so rightly say though no reason why the bungee holes should be along the bottom edge,i never thought of that.

mike
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 17 Feb 2012, 6:31 pm

Wit Woo very swish Mike,

Our new cover is also deeper than the old one but that was just mis-management mixed with a little luck Laughing When we got our Dandy it had another cover underneath the original cover, just a big square pvc sheet but it come down the sides of the Dandy more than the cover ........... now I know why it was there.
naedoot
naedoot

Post by naedoot on Fri 17 Feb 2012, 8:09 pm

thats very smart and orange

was toying with pressure washing our cover as it is quite manky.
I had toyed with getting some pvc and fitting around the door as a wee extra bit of protection just havent figured that out yet

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 18 Feb 2012, 5:39 am

naedoot wrote:thats very smart and orange

was toying with pressure washing our cover as it is quite manky.
I had toyed with getting some pvc and fitting around the door as a wee extra bit of protection just havent figured that out yet

I had thought of press studs on the inside of the cover holding a flap that hangs over the door with a bit of bungee at the bottom to hold it in place,with being at the side of course you couldn't leave it on during transit.
naedoot
naedoot

Post by naedoot on Sat 18 Feb 2012, 8:04 am

that was one of the potential issues for doing the flap over the door - transit

however did think an L shaped one to go from front round may work

not meaning to be cheeky but how much did it cost you ?

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 18 Feb 2012, 10:45 am

naedoot wrote:that was one of the potential issues for doing the flap over the door - transit

however did think an L shaped one to go from front round may work

not meaning to be cheeky but how much did it cost you ?

£153 Could have got it cheaper probaly but i have problems with deliveries and this guy does all sorts for me and is literally just round the corner.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 09 Aug 2020, 7:28 am