Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

Big or small - old or young

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Big or small - old or young Empty Big or small - old or young

Post by Helen Wed 29 Feb 2012, 8:59 am

We have considered (for several years now Laughing ) changing our Dandy for a larger one. The Destiny may be a bit of a beast for us to handle and pull about so a 6 is probably the better option. We have to consider the gap we have to get the Dandy through and the size of the garage and the designer suits our needs at the moment. We didn't know about the full range of Dandy's so ours was a bit of luck when we purchased it as if we had known at the time about all of the models we would still have chosen the designer. There are just the two of us at the moment with the dog but we also want to take our grand-daughter with us and where she is concerned the more space the better.

The little orange Dandy is perfect for my dad as he will be camping alone from time to time, it also fits the available space he has for storing it and is light enough for him to move around, he has had a shoulder operation so weight when moving by hand had to be a consideration.

Was there a particular reason you chose the Dandy you have, I consider all Dandy's as special and each model has it's own advantages but we all have our own personal reasons as to type ......... blue just happens to be my favourite colour.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Big or small - old or young Empty Re: Big or small - old or young

Post by mike Wed 29 Feb 2012, 9:24 am

The first one we bought was chosen because it belonged to a founder member of the dandy owners club he had owned it for a long time looked after it and was only selling because he had bought a new designer to see him through his retirement camping,we realy liked it a 1988 delta but we found the space inside was a bit limited if we didn't put the awning up and as Nancy hates me and refuses to sleep with me in the dandy lol! we had to mess about putting one bed away to make the settee and the seat on the other side wasn't all that comfy.
    I had always wanted a six but Nancy was concerned about the wieght of the sides when erecting it eventually the decision was made to buy a six before we sold the delta and try it then we could sell the one we didn't want later,talk about the right decision,the walls had gas struts and where dead easy to lift,two double beds can be left made up all day still leaving a seating and dining area for six (although not ideal for six adults)you can lounge on the dining seats Nancy said she feels like she has acres of space when she is cooking,and we didn't need an awning,but as i have said before the problem was i wanted an awning i just like sitting in them when its raining and not nice out side,we fell lucky and managed to get an matching dandy awning.
    I have no desire to upgrade any more i prefer the colour of mine to the later blue variants its not too heavy to push around for an old man like me Very Happy i have helped erect and pack away a late destiny and found them more of a struggle so with a bit of luck this will see my camping days through.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 29 Feb 2012, 9:38 am

An addition to the above i had been a lot of years not getting a dandy because they where pvc although the pack away wet was what we needed,we where at sutterton camping and caravan centre where they had two erected,now we should have realised something here because it was winter windy and wet and the two dandy's where the only ones erected,but we didn't we walked away from two filthy ignored unloved dandy's which on reflection where doing great dealing with every thing the winter could through at them.
    It took us a few months to get over that before we decided they had to be better than those or no one would have bought them,so we took the plunge.
    Owd Lad
    Owd Lad

Post by Owd Lad Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:27 am

Dandy number one was a 1994 Designer. It was bought because we liked the looks and the idea that it would pack away wet. We had no knowledge at the time that they had been made in other colours and, to be honest, once we found out more about them always preferred the blues. It was as comfy as it needed to be and did us good service but we always found the awning to be a pain. Doreen was always happy enough with the Designer, with or without awning and it was yours truly who was swayed into buying a new Destiny in 1998. More room, built in fridge & lights, a roof liner that made things look 'softer', a stable door to keep the dogs in and still get some fresh air and no need to use an awning. Although considerably heavier than the Designer, it wasn't too heavy for towing and manoevering and it would still fit in the garage (just!) Doreen did complain on occasions that the increased heights of trailer, bat wings, internal dimensions etc was awkward for her shorter height and gas struts for the beds would certainly have been nice but in many ways it was perfect and was only parted with as we moved on to a caravan.

Fast forward a few years and we found ourselves looking at Dandys again. This time to supplement the use of our little motorhome. Our present Designer was more than we actually wanted to pay but was reasonable value for the whole package and 'as new' condition. We do prefer the dark blue colour scheme but admit that it's probably not as well put together as the older Dandy's. Only time will tell and any bits that need replacing will get upgraded. In comparison to the motorhome it's quite roomy and gets used 'sans' awning most of the time. Are we likely to change it? Probably not. There's enough room and comfort for us and the two dogs. We're happy with what we've got.

Steve
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 01 Mar 2012, 8:50 pm

Our 60's Dandy was basically bought as a practical accessory for our classic car. We viewed a 4 and a 5 and thought the 4 looked more classic, but the 5 would be more suitable for our needs. By pure chance our dream Dandy came up for sale within a month of looking.

As it's proved so useful, we are using it this year as a bedroom extension for the campervan. Perhaps in a few years we might get an 80's one to complement the campervan. Wink
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:13 pm

I have my 1980 (i think ) 6 not knowing anything about Dandy's or sizes they come in just fell in love with what I saw ( on photo ) then once got her spent months to find out and got hooked It suits me when I have a friend as the three of us have a double bed each also space to lounge around as the shortest one is me 5'8" , but have learnt that it is a struggle to get the sides up on my own , so if need to take my son and dogs away on my own can be a struggle even moving the trailer so I have gone for the next size down which will suit me down to the ground I can just go down the road to the beach and stay as long as i want just to get away flower

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 11:11 am