Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+7
The Admiral
Kimmie
Tow Itch
Nick
Caz1960
Cazz
mike
11 posters

Fuel warnings

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Fuel warnings Empty Fuel warnings

Post by mike Sun 25 Mar 2012, 7:21 am

On the news i saw that there may be a tanker driver strike at Easter with army drivers being used,fortunately if i fill up next week i will have enough for my Easter trip but worth remembering.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Fuel warnings Empty Re: Fuel warnings

Post by Cazz Sun 25 Mar 2012, 12:14 pm

I've not heard, thanks for the heads up, we'll make sure we fill the car's tank up so that Wayne can actually get to work over Easter.
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Sun 25 Mar 2012, 2:35 pm

thanks for the heads up fuel up and get food in to sit it out but as always fingers crossed something will be done as it kills us in rural areas no buses or trains to rely on and everything is such a long drive in time but short in distance Fuel warnings 3462454224 all fuel consuming
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Mon 26 Mar 2012, 7:46 pm

i heard that the drivers doing a 37hr week on £45k PA were moaning about pay and conditions,they were protesting only a few years ago about this and got some kind resolve.I am sure they will get loads of sympathy from the public and the significantly worse off lads in the army who cannot strike.Striking in a recession really doesn't win support from all those poor soles out of work and even those who are in work.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 26 Mar 2012, 9:23 pm

The oil companies are no longer interested in vertical integration.
    They reckon there is no money in selling petrol domestically only oil trading.
    Hence we have a newly refurbished oil refinery going bust. Tesco and Asda jointly owning a refinery.
    The work contracts have been going south from being with the oil companies to various intermediaries.
    Not one of these drivers sold me junk bonds nor got me to contribute to a pension for 20 years then changed the terms.
    My dad worked for the Coal Board. I can't remember if it was his career as a communist agitator or our want to replace the gold plated parquet floor that caused him to strike in the 70's
    It won't necessarily do me any good but I hope they fight their corner.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Tue 27 Mar 2012, 11:11 am

Was told for a long time now BP has stood for Beyond Petrol Very Happy
    Kimmie
    Kimmie

Post by Kimmie Wed 28 Mar 2012, 2:50 pm

NickB wrote:i heard that the drivers doing a 37hr week on £45k PA were moaning about pay and conditions,they were protesting only a few years ago about this and got some kind resolve.I am sure they will get loads of sympathy from the public and the significantly worse off lads in the army who cannot strike.Striking in a recession really doesn't win support from all those poor soles out of work and even those who are in work.

45k for driving a tanker Twisted Evil !!!!!
    Think midwifery may have been a wrong career choice What a Face
    Striking for us wouldn't be an option for us either. Nope no sympathy here Evil or Very Mad
    The Admiral
    The Admiral

Post by The Admiral Wed 28 Mar 2012, 7:55 pm

None from me either, I actually needed to top up the car tonight and I have just spent 30 mins queuing at the petrol station! I also blame that mo**n David Cameron for opening his big trap this morning and telling everybody to keep their petrol tanks topped up so that's what all the sheep appear to be doing!!
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Wed 28 Mar 2012, 10:10 pm

everything is normal up here no panic buying yet.According to my cars little computer i have 540miles left in the tanks so i will be good for about 2 weeks if a fuel crisis does happen.
    I would totally support any protest over the cost/tax of fuel as this affects us all.
    The Admiral
    The Admiral

Post by The Admiral Wed 28 Mar 2012, 10:26 pm

NickB wrote:I would totally support any protest over the cost/tax of fuel as this affects us all.
    So would I to a degree, but this strike is supposedly about H&S and training and oh yes we'll complain about wages whilst we're at it. For heavens sake the average tanker driver earns about £45,000 , no I'm sorry no sympathy at all from me.
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Wed 28 Mar 2012, 10:44 pm

I would support them if it was about fuel cost's and taxes but not reasons the whining git's that should be grateful to have a job let alone at that wage bracket Twisted Evil
    Kimmie
    Kimmie

Post by Kimmie Thu 29 Mar 2012, 4:16 am

Caz1960 wrote:I would support them if it was about fuel cost's and taxes but not reasons the whining git's that should be grateful to have a job let alone at that wage bracket Twisted Evil

Well said that woman
    Fuel warnings 2161515090
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 29 Mar 2012, 7:38 am

If they do strike close to Easter it won't help the economy at all, people will stay at home rather than risk being caught short and that means the places who rely on tourists and day trippers will suffer. Neutral
    We are already re-considering our Easter plans and will probably stay close to home instead. If it was about keeping the cost of fuel down fair enough but if we're talking about conditions, wages and pensions then they want to try working where John does for a couple of weeks on his pay or perhaps go to the front line where the soldiers who earn a lot less are risking life and limb daily.

Rant Over.
    Kimmie
    Kimmie

Post by Kimmie Thu 29 Mar 2012, 8:12 am

Well ranted! Fuel warnings 2667980805
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 29 Mar 2012, 10:25 am

Well it's happening already, the country's gone nuts !

Our local Asda has shut it's pumps and at the petrol station near John's works people are literally fisti-cuffs to get fuel, at Morrisons people have been queuing over an hour and some stations are restricting you to £10 of fuel per car.

Jerry can sales have gone up by 400% ......... terrible advice to give the nation the crisis at the moment has been caused by our leaders telling us to fill up and store fuel Evil or Very Mad

John will probably not be able to get to work next week and will lose pay, as will some people who are living from week to week just about treading water during the recession, there will be people who need to get to appointments for medical reasons and can't and people looking after elderly or vulnerable relatives who can't get to them. Our Easter plans being spoiled pale into insignificance when you think of the distress that this will cause.

It seems it's now 'every man for himself', thank goodness they didn't have the same attitude during the fist and second world wars when people really did have nothing. Where has the United gone from United Kingdom and where has the Great gone from Great Britain.

Sorry for the extra rant but the implications of this are terrible for some.
    Kimmie
    Kimmie

Post by Kimmie Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:39 pm

Just been to get petrol as I was running on fumes . Massive queues everywhere and a lot dry already.
    One way to boost the economy! Thanks mr cameron Fuel warnings 9639063

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 29 Mar 2012, 2:18 pm

Thats one advantage of going to work early,filled up at 4.30 am on our way to work no one else there should have enough for Easter now.
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Thu 29 Mar 2012, 3:19 pm

no one queuing at our local fuel station,i still have 510miles left in the tank so should be ok for next 2weeks.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 29 Mar 2012, 7:20 pm

It's tight times and it's not the people at the top who get pinched.
    The Daily Mail castigated the working class or selfish striking sections of it during The General Strike and hasn't changed its tune since.

Think your job, it's terms or conditions are secure think again.
    You'll either get it or already had it both barrels.
    The few in the position to fight will be portrayed as lazy, greedy and or selfish.

First the cuts came for the Teachers,
    and I did not speak out for the Teachers because I don't get to toss it off for six weeks over summer.

Then the cuts came for the Nurses
    and I did not speak out for the Nurses because they spend half the day gossiping and still get a final salary pension scheme

Then the cuts came for the Tanker Drivers
    and I did not speak out for the Tanker Drivers because we all know their on at least £45K for a 35 hr week

Then the cuts came for me
    and I thought there was no one left to speak out for me, but there was it was just that I was so preoccupied with fuel for my Easter break or having to take time off if Timmy was sent home from school that all of the above believed the Daily Mail when they said I was a selfish gobshi7£ too and they left me to suffer.

With desperate and unreserved apologies to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Thu 29 Mar 2012, 7:58 pm

We have had 2 bouts of strikes in the last 5yrs where i work and although i was not in favour of them i went along with it as they are very militant where i work and i wasn't going to rock the boat for the sake of a few days pay.
    What we did lose in pay by striking we got back over the next year with pay increase,so all the trouble we caused by being on strike didn't really benefit anyone.

But at least i wasn't in the union as i would have lost even more money lining their pockets.

I enjoy my job and am lucky enough to be very well protected in my job and also still benefit from a 3.5% pay rise this year.

Moving from the private sector to the public sector was the biggest shock of my working life,i couldn't believe it when we went on strike and i couldn't believe how easy we have it compared to people who work in the private sector,i think it would be hard for me to go back to the private sector now.

People just need to get a grip as of yet no dates for industrial action have been announced just the usual s**t being spouted by the union and press,the govt know exactly what they are saying,they want panic at the pumps as it gives them more ammunition and support against the unions and tanker drivers.
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Thu 29 Mar 2012, 9:41 pm

Embarassed around here there are no jobs as such ..supermarkets but only part time , carer's as population here are mainly Geriatric, or like the rest of us that are not farmers.. self employed and work 24/7 and 365 days if we could no paid holls , sick pay , and pensions to think of as the government hasn't made that easy.. affraid so sorry striking is not on my sympathy list as working situations now are allot different than they were they got loo's indoors running hot and cold water what more do you want Fuel warnings 3462454224 Fuel warnings 3462454224 Fuel warnings 3462454224
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Thu 29 Mar 2012, 9:58 pm

Caz1960 wrote: Embarassed around here there are no jobs as such ..supermarkets but only part time , carer's as population here are mainly Geriatric, or like the rest of us that are not farmers.. self employed and work 24/7 and 365 days if we could no paid holls , sick pay , and pensions to think of as the government hasn't made that easy.. affraid so sorry striking is not on my sympathy list as working situations now are allot different than they were they got loo's indoors running hot and cold water what more do you want Fuel warnings 3462454224 Fuel warnings 3462454224 Fuel warnings 3462454224

6 weeks holiday 6 weeks sick pay and 4hrs of tea/coffee breaks a day well its not unreasonable lol!
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 30 Mar 2012, 7:07 am

It's a rolling stone and they gather moss, the thing is that the people who don't panic buy end up buying simply because if they don't there won't be any petrol there for when they need it as every other bugger has filled to the brim and the stations are running out fast.

I heard they were going to bring the army in to get fuel to stations so don't understand why the media and government have caused a panic like they have ...... it's just irresponsible.

John is going to share the journey to work with someone else who lives about mile from here, it also cuts the cost in half and saves wear and tear on the car so it's probably done us a favour.

Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Fri 30 Mar 2012, 7:35 am

I am lucky enough to be able to take a work van home after work which saves my fuel as i work 15miles from home,but i do wonder if they decide to clamp down on this if things get bad up here.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 30 Mar 2012, 9:22 am

When we had the last shortage in 2000 i stopped my driver taking the deliveries and did it myself,from filling a transit twice a week i did a weeks deliveries on one tank just driving for economy.

Will add no i didn't double the mpg i vastly improved it planned my deliveries better and didn't do any 20 mile detours to the best cake shop and then another 5 miles to a nice picnic spot,yes ive been a delivery driver lol!

Last edited by mike on Fri 30 Mar 2012, 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 1:59 am