Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+3
Caz1960
mike
Ali
7 posters

My trip to Riva today and Ian's request for pics of dandys

Ali
    Ali

My trip to Riva today and Ian's request for pics of dandys Empty My trip to Riva today and Ian's request for pics of dandys

Post by Ali Tue 03 Apr 2012, 5:09 pm

Well just returned from Riva/Dandy after having much fun looking all round the ones for sale. I have now decided a 6 is not for me and getting my Designer souped up and glamped up is the best idea! (I would like one of his fab newish dandys at around £5k but can't afford it!)

Ian said to let everyone know about the new website and that he'd like pics of our dandys to put on the website gallery page so if anyone wants to email him the pics he will post them!

I love looking at dandys - nice way to spend an afternoon even if it was raining!!
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

My trip to Riva today and Ian's request for pics of dandys Empty Re: My trip to Riva today and Ian's request for pics of dandys

Post by mike Tue 03 Apr 2012, 5:19 pm

Ali wrote:
    Well just returned from Riva/Dandy after having much fun looking all round the ones for sale. I have now decided a 6 is not for me and getting my Designer souped up and glamped up is the best idea! (I would like one of his fab newish dandys at around £5k but can't afford it!)

Ian said to let everyone know about the new website and that he'd like pics of our dandys to put on the website gallery page so if anyone wants to email him the pics he will post them!

I love looking at dandys - nice way to spend an afternoon even if it was raining!!

We could supply some pictures no problem but it would be nice if he would link to our forum in return
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

My trip to Riva today and Ian's request for pics of dandys Empty Re: My trip to Riva today and Ian's request for pics of dandys

Post by Caz1960 Tue 03 Apr 2012, 5:29 pm

flower wow that man is very helpful and love the new website My trip to Riva today and Ian's request for pics of dandys 1710857839
    Ali
    Ali

Post by Ali Tue 03 Apr 2012, 5:35 pm

mike wrote:
    Ali wrote:

We could supply some pictures no problem but it would be nice if he would link to our forum in return

He might - anyone emailing pics could ask him!
    Esermalda
    Esermalda

Post by Esermalda Wed 04 Apr 2012, 10:50 am

hello Ali,

sorry to hear that your visit to Riva has decided you that a 6/destiny is not for you after all. What finally decided it?
    Essie xxxx
    Ali
    Ali

Post by Ali Wed 04 Apr 2012, 1:13 pm

Esermalda wrote:hello Ali,

sorry to hear that your visit to Riva has decided you that a 6/destiny is not for you after all. What finally decided it?
    Essie xxxx

Hi Essie

It's was strange really cos I have wanted a bigger dandy for over a year but when I went to check them out I decided mine was cosier - people sitting on the settee bed seem too far away from the table area in a 6. Also when I thought of towing a 6 compared to mine I thought it was too much to take on. I go away with my family and friends sometimes and my husband can't always come so I have to drive all the way.

I've decided to spend money having mine upgraded instead - winterized, electrics, gas struts. Then I'm going to decorate it and redo curtains and cushions in a mad hippyish mix. flower Very Happy I have some pink flowers on my car which I got from Hippymotors so will get some more for the dandy now - bit like the lovely ones cazz has on hers! flower
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 04 Apr 2012, 4:59 pm

Ali wrote:
    Esermalda wrote:hello Ali,

Essie xxxx

Hi Essie

It's was strange really cos I have wanted a bigger dandy for over a year but when I went to check them out I decided mine was cosier - people sitting on the settee bed seem too far away from the table area in a 6. Also when I thought of towing a 6 compared to mine I thought it was too much to take on. I go away with my family and friends sometimes and my husband can't always come so I have to drive all the way.

I've decided to spend money having mine upgraded instead - winterized, electrics, gas struts. Then I'm going to decorate it and redo curtains and cushions in a mad hippyish mix. flower Very Happy I have some pink flowers on my car which I got from Hippymotors so will get some more for the dandy now - bit like the lovely ones cazz has on hers! flower

I noticed the lack of cosyness when we first got our 6 and your right about the distance between the settee and the dining area,i dont mind now though cos ive found i can get it plenty warm and we leave both ends made up as beds with there only being two of us.
    Ali
    Ali

Post by Ali Wed 04 Apr 2012, 5:57 pm

mike wrote:

I noticed the lack of cosyness when we first got our 6 and your right about the distance between the settee and the dining area,i dont mind now though cos ive found i can get it plenty warm and we leave both ends made up as beds with there only being two of us.

I did wonder about that Mike as it was a cold dismal afternoon. And being able to leave both beds made up is an advantage. oh no, now I'm having second second thoughts!! My mind is boggling with possibilities... cyclops
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 04 Apr 2012, 6:01 pm

Ali wrote:
    mike wrote:

I did wonder about that Mike as it was a cold dismal afternoon. And being able to leave both beds made up is an advantage. oh no, now I'm having second second thoughts!! My mind is boggling with possibilities... cyclops

I dont even know of a caravan that you can leave two double beds made up and still have a seating/dining area
    Ali
    Ali

Post by Ali Wed 04 Apr 2012, 6:25 pm

mike wrote:
    Ali wrote:
    mike wrote:

I dont even know of a caravan that you can leave two double beds made up and still have a seating/dining area

Do you use the Riva underfloor heating Mike or a portable heater?
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 04 Apr 2012, 6:29 pm

I use a convector heater with thermostat,i have the under floor heater fitted but always use electric so dont need it.
    Ali
    Ali

Post by Ali Wed 04 Apr 2012, 7:05 pm

mike wrote:I use a convector heater with thermostat,i have the under floor heater fitted but always use electric so dont need it.

thanks - and sorry as I just found an old thread where you've already explained all this!! So I've seen the possible Argos one which would do. The same questions must keep popping up as sometimes people like me don't realise there is such info contained in old threads!
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Wed 04 Apr 2012, 11:12 pm

flower Ali I have both 6 is for when I go with a friend I leave the beds and we sit comfortably and warm around the table and chairs cosy as the curtains close off the bed area but the downside for me is that I have to be the first to get up and the last to go to bed as i have the table bed but admittedly I cannot put her up by myself and cannot rely on my sons willingness to help!.. as for towing not that I have done the 6 but got the 4/5 and happy as I can tow with her put her up easer and good space for my son and me with 3 dogs..so if you can have both flower
    Ali
    Ali

Post by Ali Wed 04 Apr 2012, 11:23 pm

Caz1960 wrote: flower Ali I have both 6 is for when I go with a friend I leave the beds and we sit comfortably and warm around the table and chairs cosy as the curtains close off the bed area but the downside for me is that I have to be the first to get up and the last to go to bed as i have the table bed but admittedly I cannot put her up by myself and cannot rely on my sons willingness to help!.. as for towing not that I have done the 6 but got the 4/5 and happy as I can tow with her put her up easer and good space for my son and me with 3 dogs..so if you can have both flower

Two dandys!! You lucky thing! That would be perfect solution! cheers
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Wed 04 Apr 2012, 11:26 pm

hey you can glam one and share the other My trip to Riva today and Ian's request for pics of dandys 3462454224
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 05 Apr 2012, 2:47 am

Ali

The one other point you raised was the ability to tow a 6. I've not towed a 6 but have towed another large Folding Camper.
    I did have some snaking issues with it. Now I think I can see some reasons why a 6 might be less prone to snaking than my unit.
    My FC had small wheels (Wheel side forces increase snaking [Hence why increasing tyre pressures lessens snake]) I didn't know the recommended nose weight let alone measure it. All my snaking occurred at or above 60.
    I would ask those towing 6's with more lightweight vehicles (Mike?) what their experiences are. Also peoples reactions to snaking vary I wasn't that bothered I saw it as the unit telling me I was getting to the edge of the envelope.
    Knowing your a bit impaired between arm and neck, how are you at manoeuvring the Designer by hand? How would you move the 6?

Caz

Not that I don't care about you. Just I reckon towing with R.M.S. Volvo you will be fine.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 05 Apr 2012, 5:33 am

Snaking at over 60mph imo is not relevant to any combination, it wont happen to me as i dont do it,snaking can occur with any unit and any car regardless of ratio of wieght,the wieght of the car only comes into play after the snake starts the heavier the car the more chance you stand of regaining control.
    To get things into perspective in 45 years of towing i have had two situations with snaking involved one was my own stupidity towing a four wheel heavy machine trailer down a steep hill flat out in a short wheel base landrover,the heavy trailer wanted to go faster than the tow unit and with having front axle steering it tried to over take me.
    The second was last year in Norfolk when on a narrow road a vehicle coming the other way forced me into the pot holes on the side of the road and i had to turn out sharper than i should have to avoid even deeper potholes it lasted for a second or two and then was ok.
    Yes they can happen but but i dont see why a correctly loaded six should be any more prone than a shorter unit most of the factors involved that effect low centre of gravity units would apply to both types of dandy.
    You will get the people who say it cant happen with a low trailer thats just lack of knowledge and bravado talking in my opinion but towing within the capability of your outfit should greatly reduce the risk and give you a far greater chance of it only being a brief o s**t what was that moment,your towing ball is a pivot point and trailers pivot on it Very Happy correct loading and nose wieght play a vital part.
    As i have said before a stabiliser and or sensible towing and you probaly stand more chance of being knocked down by a car while shopping than having a serious problem.

mike
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:39 pm

I've got a bit of a bag on with regard to stability at the moment. I can see massive differences between what I had originally, then the 4, also the Designer I subsequently bought. My post wasn't meant to be an essay on what I'd found out and what I now thought. (if this post is taking the thread off topic please shunt elsewhere) It was a caution about what I had experienced but I openly invited comment because I thought a 6 would be a better tow than the unit I had. What I was meaning to invite was others direct comparison between towing rear entry Dandys and 6's of various forms, particularly with light vehicles. I know I didn't say that though did I?
    To qualify the snaking I was taking about the beginning of the trailer feeling uncomfortable. I never pushed things to the point of violent instability some have experienced. Nor through good driving or the grace of God did I have to perform a sudden and heavy manoeuvre which can bring about violent snaking. There is a significant amount of opinion that stabilisers damp out the feeling of instability of the onset of snaking but would be no use in controlling the violent snake brought on by a hard manoeuvre.

Snaking at over 60mph imo is not relevant to any combination,
    No in this country it should not be. What I was talking about was not a wild speed abuse thing. It occurred with the assistance of suitable conditions at or not much beyond a speedo reading of 60mph. Those of you with sat nav will be aware that, that is not a speed of 60mph. UK speedos have been required to be within 10% therefore ACPO speeding prosecution guidelines set at speed +10% + 2mph. EU directive never less and +10% + 10kph. So new speedos (quite accurate) are set by engineers to middle limits so generally read at + 8%.
    Laws (beyond common law) are not generally set by logic and sense. May I contrast the 60mph speed limit to the notes on stability and towing a Dandy in the early 80's and 1991 brochure (Sorry cant link PDF's ) also the French trailer speed limits see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (N.B. I would have to confess to towing the two rear end Dandys at a good bit beyond 60mph)

I can't comment on steerable trailers as against Dandy's as I haven't towed one and all I meant to do was contrast 6's and rear entry Dandys.

Violent manoeuvre snakes: I have possibly woefully abused my 4 and Designer (though once upon a time pushing to limits was thought to be a good idea, as you then knew where they are) and might get bit very badly one day if it comes to a violent manoeuvre, but I think the rear entry Dandys are wonderfully stable. My old large FC? I wouldn't have wanted to get into that position it was driven on as much anticipation as I could manage. A Dandy 6 in such conditions? Mike managed through. I'm certain I remember Mr EM have an underwear threatening moment in his highside Destiny but can't find details. I didn't want to enter into this subject as I think there might be a lot of issues and all I really wanted to cover was the "comfort" zone.

Maybee I just had a pig of a large FC / Trailer tent. I still don't know what it was (And if you know me I HAVE looked) beyond it was like some things made by Creighton Binns. My mates caravan was easier to tow except it's wheel spacing caused it to ride up and down the troughs in lane 1 of the M62, M60 and M6. So what I wanted was a towing comparison of 6's to rear entry Dandys to try and assist Ali's decision process. That's not what I actually asked for so all I did was probably add superfluous information or just added confusion. Well nothing new for me there.

The 1991 Brochure quotes "All Models Except The Destiny Can Be Towed By A Very Small Engined Car Such As A 600cc 2cv Citroen. The Destiny Would Require A 1000cc Car Such As A Metro" There you go then all the comment we ever needed.
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Thu 05 Apr 2012, 3:42 pm

flower sorry my car is a Mondeo Estate not much difference to my friends Volvo but towing the 6 is a girly thing I will build my confidence towing her later in the year but as moving the 6 trailer and putting her up I can't do on my own as unfortunately not often help is not offered with the new type of camper ( not wishing to offend ) but think us lot are becoming a rare bread "of helpful people " as for my son he my well be 5'9" but 13yrs of age he has the teenage attitude My trip to Riva today and Ian's request for pics of dandys 2829330259 My trip to Riva today and Ian's request for pics of dandys 3462454224
    Ali
    Ali

Post by Ali Thu 05 Apr 2012, 4:00 pm

I don't like the idea of 'snaking' at all. Neutral I have an automatic 1.4 Mazda and only go 50mph with the dandy. The longer destiny does worry me. Towing at all is a bit scary when you get near the campsite as it's always narrow country roads!
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Fri 06 Apr 2012, 9:31 pm

We have just returned from Mount Snowdon. Our very first Dandy Holiday. On the way there we got her weighed. We have the new Dandy Destiny, with a max gross weight of 1000kg. She weighed in at 9400kg fully loaded, with a nose weight of 70kg. We towed with our 1.8 petrol Zafira, so not a light small car at all.

On the way there I felt the startings of a snake quite a few times at 60mph. I stuck to 56ish, and this felt ok. But as soon as I crept up to 60 again, it did feel unstable most of the time. Bearing in mind that I drive a 55ft articulated lorry for a living, this was scary stuff.

On the return journey, we had a little less weight, and I folded the roof up ALL in the middle of the trailer, above the wheels, rather than spread right across the top of it. What was left of the tinned food was under the kitchen sink(directly over the wheels). Nose weight was 60kg. I can honestly say that 60mph was NOT a problem in the slightest. It was like towing a different unit.

Staying filled up with fuel also helped a great deal. We were empty at the start of the return journey, and although we didn't have any snaking, there was a lot of bumping around from the bouncing trailer. As soon as we filled the tank up, it was like having no trailer coupled up.

Esermalda
    Esermalda

Post by Esermalda Fri 06 Apr 2012, 9:50 pm

Krist0n wrote:

On the return journey, we had a little less weight,

who did you leave behind? Laughing Laughing
    Did you have a great time????
    Essie
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 07 Apr 2012, 5:56 am

Krist0n wrote:We have just returned from Mount Snowdon. Our very first Dandy Holiday. On the way there we got her weighed. We have the new Dandy Destiny, with a max gross weight of 1000kg. She weighed in at 9400kg fully loaded, with a nose weight of 70kg. We towed with our 1.8 petrol Zafira, so not a light small car at all.

On the way there I felt the startings of a snake quite a few times at 60mph. I stuck to 56ish, and this felt ok. But as soon as I crept up to 60 again, it did feel unstable most of the time. Bearing in mind that I drive a 55ft articulated lorry for a living, this was scary stuff.

On the return journey, we had a little less weight, and I folded the roof up ALL in the middle of the trailer, above the wheels, rather than spread right across the top of it. What was left of the tinned food was under the kitchen sink(directly over the wheels). Nose weight was 60kg. I can honestly say that 60mph was NOT a problem in the slightest. It was like towing a different unit.

Staying filled up with fuel also helped a great deal. We were empty at the start of the return journey, and although we didn't have any snaking, there was a lot of bumping around from the bouncing trailer. As soon as we filled the tank up, it was like having no trailer coupled up.

Did you enjoy your first dandy holliday
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sat 07 Apr 2012, 11:42 am

Yes, how was your first Dandy holiday?

It was interesting reading about your towing experiences with fairy simple differences.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 11:41 am