Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+2
Helen
Ali
6 posters

Where do you put kettle and things in a Designer?

Ali
    Ali

Where do you put kettle and things in a Designer? Empty Where do you put kettle and things in a Designer?

Post by Ali Wed 04 Apr 2012, 11:03 pm

In my ongoing quest to decide between Designer and Destiny one of the 'problems'I find with my Designer is where to put stuff such as toaster and kettle etc - I have ended up with a 'fridge standing on the sink so I can't use that and a piece of wood over the gas jets for the elec sockets and kettle etc. It always seems cramped and messy. What have other Designer owners done to resolve this? I'd really like to know other ideas please!
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Where do you put kettle and things in a Designer? Empty Re: Where do you put kettle and things in a Designer?

Post by Helen Wed 04 Apr 2012, 11:07 pm

This is what we did [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Ali
    Ali

Where do you put kettle and things in a Designer? Empty Re: Where do you put kettle and things in a Designer?

Post by Ali Wed 04 Apr 2012, 11:26 pm

Helen wrote:This is what we did [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

that looks brilliant helen - i never thought the lightweight units would stand anything like that. Where do you keep a 'fridge then?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 05 Apr 2012, 7:56 am

If you look at the last picture Ali we reinforced the inside of the top cupboard with the same stuff as the shelf Very Happy

Our fridge goes either in the awning or in the utility tent depending on what we take with us but it is a big 3 way fridge.
    Ali
    Ali

Post by Ali Thu 05 Apr 2012, 9:50 am

Helen wrote:If you look at the last picture Ali we reinforced the inside of the top cupboard with the same stuff as the shelf Very Happy

Our fridge goes either in the awning or in the utility tent depending on what we take with us but it is a big 3 way fridge.

Thanks Helen. Yes I see how you reinforced the cupboard - this will definitely be something we will do if we keep the Designer. As for putting fridge in utility tent I am looking for one at the moment but thought it would have to be gas connected as I normally use it on EHU and don't think I could run that in a tent as well as the dandy. It's trying to sort all this out that made me decide to go for a 6 in the first place!!

I suppose the other thing would be to try and get an awning. affraid
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 05 Apr 2012, 10:57 am

I know ours isn't a designer, but the floor area is similar. We stand our big three way fridge to the right of the door, it fits perfectly there between the wheel arch and door. But that means we can't use all the seat that side, but to be honest we didn't anyway, we just use it for putting things and the dog on. Laughing If we use the fridge on gas, then it does stay in the awning or utility tent. If you went down the awning route, could you run a cable out to it.

If our Dandy wasn't a car accessory and our only camping unit, then we would go for a 6, as that could be used without the faff of a awning, but there is always two of us making it easier to put up, but there again gas struts make it easier to go up. Mikes Dandy was lovely and cosy at Christmas, there were four adults and a dog in it, it was very comfortable to be in and we all had room to move. It would be nice to camp without having to play Chinese checkers all the time.

Sorry that is no help is it, what you need to try a 6 for a few nights so you can compare, or do a Caz and have two. affraid
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:11 pm

Ali wrote:
    Helen wrote:If you look at the last picture Ali we reinforced the inside of the top cupboard with the same stuff as the shelf Very Happy

Thanks Helen. Yes I see how you reinforced the cupboard - this will definitely be something we will do if we keep the Designer. As for putting fridge in utility tent I am looking for one at the moment but thought it would have to be gas connected as I normally use it on EHU and don't think I could run that in a tent as well as the dandy. It's trying to sort all this out that made me decide to go for a 6 in the first place!!

I suppose the other thing would be to try and get an awning. affraid

Ali we run our fridge or coolbox in the utility or awning just by running a extension lead out the side of the dandy

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 05 Apr 2012, 2:06 pm

A shelf on the RHS of the kitchen unit would get in the way but some Dandys had split seating foam at the kitchen end of the seat to allow the placement of a three way fridge. The space might be a bit tight for a threeway buy a piece of ply would let you place a coolbox at the that end of the bed settee without marking the foam. I suppose it depends on your bed requirements for kids?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 05 Apr 2012, 2:13 pm

We also run an extension out to the utility tent just like we do if it's in the awning, we hang the extension on a hook from the framework inside to keep it off the floor and keep it dry Where do you put kettle and things in a Designer? 3498837457
    Ali
    Ali

Post by Ali Thu 05 Apr 2012, 3:05 pm

ah ha - I wasn't sure if it would be safe to run extension out of Dandy into a tent but if you are both doing it with no problem then I think this might be the answer. There's no where else in the designer to put a 'fridge other than the top of the sink and that has disadvantage that it's high up and when you're looking inside the lid can fall down on your head What a Face this is not nice at all.. Laughing

Just need to get the right utility tent now - I've seen some nice green ones but the dandy is blue and white so would prefer matching/toning utility.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 05 Apr 2012, 4:39 pm

We had a grey one that looked good with our pale blue and white Dandy, it was made by kyham and had a metal frame, it was great even the clothes hung from the inside of the framework, we now have a cabanon and it also has a metal from but the frame is heavier and more substantial so we even hang folding shelves in there as well as clothes coats and towels Laughing

I do prefer to hang the extension from a hook on the frame to keep it off the ground.
    Ali
    Ali

Post by Ali Thu 05 Apr 2012, 4:48 pm

lol - another thing I was wondering is where you keep clothes - my dandy looks such a mess ususally which is why this year I've decided it's only going to be me in it when I go away with friends and children! Very Happy That way i can use behind the settee as a permanent storage area. This doesn't work when the two of us go away though. We tried both sleeping in the bed but it's too claustrophobic and him getting up for the toilet in the night disturbed me!
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 05 Apr 2012, 4:55 pm

We do have a folding wardrobe type thing and we use that in the awning to keep it tidy but in the utility tent it's easier to hang from the frame but we do spread the weight. We also put things in there to keep dry overnight - outside table, chairs lamps and that sort of thing, the extra space you get makes a big difference and you have somewhere private to change clothes during the day if you want to. The Loo goes in there during the daytime too Very Happy
    Ali
    Ali

Post by Ali Thu 05 Apr 2012, 5:02 pm

I have wondered about just getting a toilet tent and using for the 'fridge and hanging coats! My friend always brings a loo with her but kindly lets all the grandkids use it - including mine. If i had my own loo I would want to keep it secret just for me, or just my family at least!! I feel a bit mean knowing this when we're camping together! Embarassed
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Thu 05 Apr 2012, 8:21 pm

flower I have the folding shelves useful for t shirts and it hung on the awning poles fancy getting the clothes rail from Argos they would be good in the awning be on the bigger trips as my bags is the normal stash for my kit for short trips flower

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 3:18 am