Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+2
Eilis
GRUMPY59
6 posters

Dandy Awning rail

GRUMPY59

Dandy Awning rail Empty Dandy Awning rail

Post by GRUMPY59 Mon 23 Apr 2012, 10:12 pm

Hi all, I have bought a dandy delta, but it has now awning. I have spent hours trying to find a way of fitting some sort of awning to our dandy, but I dont understand how to make one. Please could someone help me by putting a photo/picture of what they have used to attach the awning as I am much better with pictures than explainations. I need to find an awning that i can add a sleeping annex onto if possible. so any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Dandy Awning rail Empty Re: Dandy Awning rail

Post by Eilis Tue 24 Apr 2012, 7:31 am

hey what area of the country are you in? it may be that someone is close by that can help.

Helen has done a lovely non dandy awning add-on and so has John i think

i bought a non dandy awning recently but haven't put it on the dandy yet, i'll be sure and take lots of pics when i do Smile
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 24 Apr 2012, 8:24 am

This was what we did and it has a flap at the back that tucks under the roof, it has ties on the flap that you tie onto the roof bars just like a Dandy awning doe's. You can purchase an inner tent for it to use as a bedroom but then you wouldn't have much awning space left.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Vicki and Nick had a larger non dandy awning that you could put a bedroom in too and no adaptation required.

Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Tue 24 Apr 2012, 5:11 pm

If your going for a FULL awning, you dont really need a rail. But you would have to adapt the awning. It just tucks under the roof all the way around, and down to the floor.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 09 May 2012, 2:41 pm

There is a 6 advertised with a non dandy awning and they have attached the awning rail at the very top where the metal framework is. Sounds a better way of doing things as it's under the edge of the roof.
    fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard Wed 09 May 2012, 4:08 pm

This is the next thing i have to do, fit an awning rail.
    Just not sure where to fix it, thought about fixing it right at the top on the metal.
    Just a pity you cannot curve it round the top of the door.
    Flex a rail would solve the problem but not available here only in the states.
    I have a movelite midi awning. Pete Smile
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 09 May 2012, 4:13 pm

If I remember correctly you have a discovery ? I think the awning rail for Nick and Vicki's movelight was fitted to the front solid wall and didn't go all the way across the Dandy. If it's a free standing drive away awning they have a tunnel at the back and only the top of the tunnel fixes onto the rail.
    fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard Wed 09 May 2012, 4:27 pm

Yep mines a discovery, the tunnel on the awning measures 6ft.4in across sorry no good with metric, i presusume the awning rail has to be this length?
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 09 May 2012, 4:45 pm

fearful wizard wrote:Yep mines a discovery, the tunnel on the awning measures 6ft.4in across sorry no good with metric, i presusume the awning rail has to be this length?

You could possibly do it with a couple of lengths of the plastic fig of eight channel they use to fit awnings to camper vans

You would fit this to the awning tunnel and in turn fit a piece of awning draft skirt in the other channel which would tuck under the dandy roof,the sections of channel are about a mtre long so they would have to meet at the highest part of the dandy roof so they could slope down.

Must say i have never tried it
    fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard Wed 09 May 2012, 5:10 pm

Thanks Mike thats another alternative.
    I did think about using awning skirt and folding the bottom over and securing it to make a small tube, then pass a bungee through it, pass it over the two prongs that are fitted to the top of the door and secure it at each end of the roof poles.
    That would save fitting an awning rail, then fit the figure of eight.
    Pitty you cant get it in a 6 ft length? Pete Surprised

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 3:24 am