Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+3
Helen
mike
ncreasser
7 posters

Condensation under beds in Destiny 1993

ncreasser

Condensation under beds in Destiny 1993 Empty Condensation under beds in Destiny 1993

Post by ncreasser Fri 03 Aug 2012, 9:13 am

We have terrible problems with condensation under both the bed matressessn after a nights sleep. Any recommendations on how to ease this?? Many thanks
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Condensation under beds in Destiny 1993 Empty Re: Condensation under beds in Destiny 1993

Post by mike Fri 03 Aug 2012, 10:14 am

ncreasser wrote:We have terrible problems with condensation under both the bed matressessn after a nights sleep. Any recommendations on how to ease this?? Many thanks

Its not just dandys it can happen in every thing from trailer tents to caravans,some will say they put this or that under the mattress and that stops it but having tried these suggestions which only eased the situation i now use another system.
    We use self inflating air beds/matts on top of the mattress thus stopping body heat going through to the bed board which equals no condensation.

Condensation under beds in Destiny 1993 1217042266 to the forum
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Condensation under beds in Destiny 1993 Empty Re: Condensation under beds in Destiny 1993

Post by Helen Fri 03 Aug 2012, 10:17 am

You could try using roll up camping mats under the beds. Read through this thread as it has a few idea's to help

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And Welcome to the Dandy Campers forum Condensation under beds in Destiny 1993 936075699
    ncreasser

Post by ncreasser Fri 03 Aug 2012, 10:24 am

Many thanks for those suggestions. Any ideas on which the best self inflating matresses are for fit and cost. Trying to keep costs to a min.!!!
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 03 Aug 2012, 10:43 am

ncreasser wrote:Many thanks for those suggestions. Any ideas on which the best self inflating matresses are for fit and cost. Trying to keep costs to a min.!!!

Thats the problem only the good ones work we bought a double to make the caravan bed more comfy so we had it to try in the dandy,when we tried the camping mats under it just moved the damp to on top of them,some that use them also have memory foam toppers on.
    I know the idea of stopping the heat penetrating works because Nancy gets too warm at nights in bed so she uses an old fashioned red and blue air bed and that also works.

Mine is packed in the dandy but i think its a vango.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:28 am

I'm fortunate that I've only experienced the under bed condensation the once, that was when we camped last Christmas.
    I lifted the bed after several days and the bottom of it was absolutely sodden. I've examined the bed each time since and not really had a problem. Convinced that as the outside edge of the bed is a large aluminium frame this acts as a large heat sink and doesn't help anything.
    Not sure it will help your search for an economy solution to the problem but look at pictures of Dandys with skirts. Often they only have one skirt and this is on the side with the permanent bed. I think stopping cold winds from blowing over the under surface of the bed may help.
    The problem with this is adding skirts isn't cheap. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    I was shocked at the price of £245.00 but there is in fact a lot of work involved with flaps being heat sealed onto the sides of the Dandy.
    It is worth consideration if a windbreak ran round the edge of the bed might help though?

Last edited by Tow Itch on Sat 04 Aug 2012, 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed a "the" that was superfluous)
    ncreasser

Post by ncreasser Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:30 am

Thanks for that, am away in a couple of weeks, for a 2 week holiday, so may give the windbreak a try - nothing to loose!!!
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Fri 03 Aug 2012, 2:05 pm

Condensation under beds in Destiny 1993 1217042266 Condensation under beds in Destiny 1993 1217042266 Condensation under beds in Destiny 1993 1217042266 Condensation under beds in Destiny 1993 1217042266
    keep an eye out with Aldi's or Lidl's as they do a great inflatable beds I have thin polystyrene sheet under the beds and keep an eye under will say like Tow Itch found it happens more on cold nights than hot ones wind breaks really help let us know how you get on and enjoy your holls Condensation under beds in Destiny 1993 936075699
    ncreasser

Post by ncreasser Fri 03 Aug 2012, 6:06 pm

Many thanks, will certainly try the windbreaks, also looking at cheap double airbeds from the likes of tesco etc, for about £20, might give one a go!!!
    Will certainly have a good break - hope the weather not too bad - rain always seems to follow us when we go camping!!!!!
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 04 Aug 2012, 10:43 am

Most people will know I do like to use my windbreaks lol! mainly to keep the dog or grandchild contained. I was shocked when I heard people got condensation under the beds because we are lucky enough to have never had it and can't fathom why. We do have some mats under the beds that were there when we bought our Dandy and I do have a mattress topper but only bought that a few years into owning a Dandy so assumed it was the mats helping. scratch My windbreaks don't go around the bed side but sit in front of it!

I've been trying to figure out why our friends Dandy gets condensation under the beds and nothing seems to help but it was only recently that John suggested it could be because there is no vent in the kitchen wall, there is one at the front but without the one on the rear wall the air wouldn't circulate the same, perhaps and oversight on Dandy's part.
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Sun 05 Aug 2012, 1:03 am

Hi everyone. Firstly may I apoligise for my absence. Things are alittle hectic at work and at home (4 kids!!!).

We have a Highside Destiny with one bed skirt. I have noticed that the side with the sj=kirt gets just as much condensation as the side without.
    I have tried the foam roll out sleeping mats under the matresses, and this helped slightly, but there is still quite a lot of moisture in the morning, and the mattresses need to be lifted up and aired evry other day.

I like the idea of the inflatable mattresses, but was wondering if anyone has tried putting these UNDER the Dandy mattress, as I find the Dandy ones so comfy.

My eldest lad (13) had a friend sleep over, and he dragged the double mattress out of the Dandy and put it in his bedroom for the night. That was over a week ago, and we can't prise it back off him lol. He prefers to sleep on it on his floor than on his bed lol. A true Dandyer!!!
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 05 Aug 2012, 5:10 am

Krist0n wrote:Hi everyone. Firstly may I apoligise for my absence. Things are alittle hectic at work and at home (4 kids!!!).

We have a Highside Destiny with one bed skirt. I have noticed that the side with the sj=kirt gets just as much condensation as the side without.
    I have tried the foam roll out sleeping mats under the matresses, and this helped slightly, but there is still quite a lot of moisture in the morning, and the mattresses need to be lifted up and aired evry other day.

I like the idea of the inflatable mattresses, but was wondering if anyone has tried putting these UNDER the Dandy mattress, as I find the Dandy ones so comfy.

My eldest lad (13) had a friend sleep over, and he dragged the double mattress out of the Dandy and put it in his bedroom for the night. That was over a week ago, and we can't prise it back off him lol. He prefers to sleep on it on his floor than on his bed lol. A true Dandyer!!!

I thought about under it but didnt want to risk i catching on anything.
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Sun 05 Aug 2012, 6:05 am

In that case Mike, you could double insulate, and use those foam mats. Or even any of that tabletop stuff you have. Smile If that doesn't stop it, then the only thing that will is a campfire under the bed lol. You would of course need to line the underneath with tin foil, and have lots of fire extinguisers to hand. affraid
    ShaunJUK
    ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK Sun 05 Aug 2012, 9:02 am

I think the problem under the beds is going to be due to poor ventilation.

You can use the following or use them to create something along the same lines.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I think the bed base could be created easily and a few ventilation holes cut in the bed base would help further.
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Sun 05 Aug 2012, 2:30 pm

Of course. The dry mesh looks good although for 2 double beds, would be a bit pricey, but well worth it.
    I think a home-made slatted base is whats called for. Maybe a visit to "Freecycle".
    As for the holes in the bed base. affraid affraid affraid Are you off your rocker lol?
    ncreasser

Post by ncreasser Wed 08 Aug 2012, 10:11 am

After reading all the posts on here, I think I may now try some foil backed bubble insulation roll - might help a little - it's a reasonable cheap starter Smile
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 08 Aug 2012, 10:16 am

Let us know how you get on, if it works it may help others with the same problem Condensation under beds in Destiny 1993 3498837457
    ncreasser

Post by ncreasser Wed 08 Aug 2012, 10:30 am

Will do Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 28 Apr 2024, 6:57 am