Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+2
mike
Helen
6 posters

Dandy Destiny Awning options

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Dandy Destiny Awning options Empty Dandy Destiny Awning options

Post by Helen Thu 23 Jun 2011, 7:27 am

Thought I would post a couple of porch awnings that I have seen fitted to high sided Destinys, you do have to fit an awning rail but there are battons along the front wall that you can fix to.

Sunncamp Scenic Plus Caravan Porch awning

Sunncamp Ultima (come in several sizes from porch to full)

You will find that due to the height and width of a Dandy Destiny when erected many smaller light-weight awnings will fit with an awning rail. There are lots of porch awnings similar to those above that would look great and give you some door protection and somewhere to store your muddy wellies and other bits and bobs.

Remember that to do this you will be adding an awning rail that was not fitted by Dandy and I do wonder if there was a reason for this such as Water getting into the awning running down the outside of the Dandy wall as its not a solid structure. There could also be other reasons as it is a solid metal rail and could possibly (over a period of time) cause wear on anything inclucing pvc resting on it when folded due to slight movements when in transit. Dandys were very well thought out and I am sure that if there was a reason for the way a Dandy awning fits then it was a good one.

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Dandy Destiny Awning options Empty Re: Dandy Destiny Awning options

Post by mike Thu 23 Jun 2011, 7:38 am

Remember that to do this you will be adding an awning rail that was not fitted by Dandy and I do wonder if there was a reason for this such as Water getting into the awning running down the outside of the Dandy wall as its not a solid structure. There could also be other reasons as it is a solid metal rail and could possibly (over a period of time) cause wear on anything inclucing pvc resting on it when folded due to slight movements when in transit. Dandys were very well thought out and I am sure that if there was a reason for the way a Dandy awning fits then it was a good one.

As Helen so rightly says you would probably be drilling into the side wall metal frame through the pvc so it would be best to use silicone behind the rail or at least in the new holes to prevent water ingress.

Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:35 am

i think awning rails were not added because the concept of the dandy is so old,when it was 1st launched it was a pretty basic tent on wheels and over time became more luxurious with electric,heating,kitchens etc but the basic construction stayed the same.The way the standard awning attaches to a dandy works well as its impossible for water ingress also its a cheap solution.We had an awning rail on our Dandy which i have since removed,the rail went across the wall from wing hinge to wing hinge.The rail worked well as the length of the rail was long enough that the door could still swing back clear of awning.I think it would have been easy enough to attach lengths of rail on the wings as well,so as to fit a more conventional caravan type awning.The advantage would be a much bigger space as regular awnings are about 8ft deep where as the dandy is just over 6ft,also with an off the shelf awning there is optional zip on pods for bedrooms/toilet area etc.I dont think the rail would damage the dandy when in transit providing the edges of the rail are rounded off and all screws/rivets are well recessed.When folded the rails on the wings wouldn't be in contact with anything,although wall section may rub slightly on bed section but nothing a bit of packing wouldn't sort out.I have not filled the holes yet where i removed the rail as the rail was screwed to the very top of the wall section and the dandy roof covers the holes(which are tiny)by about 3inches of pvc.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 23 Jun 2011, 1:56 pm

I know yours is a designer Nick and it would be possible to do a full awning rail along the top but on the high sided destiny I have seen an awning rail fixed well below, drilling through the pvc into battons along the front wall, the problem I would have with that is that The wall is not solid and the rail is not covered with the roof edge, would the walls belly inwards (even slightly) the vertical battons are not that close together at some points so when windy causing water to run into the awning ? I think the erected height would have to be a consideration in choosing a suitable alternative for a High sided Destiny.
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Thu 23 Jun 2011, 3:08 pm

helen if you hadn't realised yet i only half read stuff,i have now actually read the topic properly and i think i see what you mean about the batten. Dandy Destiny Awning options 3208163979
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Thu 23 Jun 2011, 3:14 pm

the walls are made from 18mm plywood covered in pvc,so i don't see the relevance of battons,an awning rail should be fine screwed through pvc into the wall using 3/4" screws.The pvc trapped between rail and wall would create a watertight seal although i suppose a bead of silicone along rail may add extra resistance.The rail bend to shape fairly easily so i think it maybe possible to do away with battens,which as you say could cause ingress.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 23 Jun 2011, 3:28 pm

Both Mike and I recently measured a few erected Dandys and on the Destiny the inside wall is solid but it does have battons along the back with the pvc covering, so although the inside is solid the outer wall isnt. Shocked
    Lol and Steve
    Lol and Steve

Post by Lol and Steve Thu 23 Jun 2011, 5:46 pm

Hi all,

The batons that Helen describes is the metal framework that the inside walls are screwed onto.

We have added a rail to the front of ours screwing it onto the framework (batons.)

As described there is movement on the parts of the pvc walls that are not screwed so water may get down there, but we considered this when making our decision of how to erect the outdoor revolution easi porch that we have bought.

I had thought about putting eyelet holes in the porch and attaching string to pull it in like the original awnings do, but then because the sides of the destiny slope down the porch itself wouldn't sit correctly when pulled out into position.

We only want the porch to put our porta loo in on short stays so some (hopefully not too much) water coming down the front of the dandy wall hopefully won't be too bad as its pvc.

I will take some photo's when we use it and post them on here so you can see, and i will report any pro's or con's that i discover.

lol!
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 23 Jun 2011, 6:14 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Lorraine, I dont think it matters too much on a porch awning as long as people are aware that it could happen and dont put anything that really cant get wet next to the Dandy wall. bounce
    carl
    carl

Post by carl Mon 27 Jun 2011, 10:39 pm

well this weekend i have had my thinking cap on messing with awnings
    i think i have come up with a FULL awning for my Dandy Destiny (high side)
    this involves no modification to the Dandy
    I am waiting for some parts to be made then i will report back
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Tue 28 Jun 2011, 6:36 am

ooh def intrigued now Carl, look forward to seeing the pics Smile
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 28 Jun 2011, 7:57 am

Good luck Carl, it will give people another option for the high sided destiny.

I spent a long time trying to find something that would work with the smaller Dandy's but am glad that I kept at it and eventually adapted a Royal Traveller to ours I know a few people have now got this awning, done the alterations and are happy with the look of it and the fit too.

Its just a shame it only fits the smaller dandys such as the Dart, Delta, Discovery and Designer.

bounce

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 08 May 2024, 4:34 pm