Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+2
Helen
ChrisP
6 posters

Options for replacing the hitch coupling

ChrisP
    ChrisP

Options for replacing the hitch coupling Empty Options for replacing the hitch coupling

Post by ChrisP Thu 07 Mar 2013, 9:49 pm

The hitch coupling head on my "new to me" Dandy 4/5 is does not have a key and even if it did the key hole shows damage an a lot of rust. Pushing in the button before hitching up is also a bit hit and miss. Sometimes the button operates the mechanism inside and sometimes it does not. Usually after a couple (sorry) of tries it works. I do not want to be stranded unable operate the coupling, so I am looking to replace it. Hopefully I can replace just the coupling head not the whole hitch.

The [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] shows some likely candidates, but I have no idea which to order. The tatty one I have is shown below.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The AL-KO ones seem to have 4 bolt holes similar to mine, so hopefully it is a simple 4 bolt swap

If anyone could confirm what I should order, I would be grateful.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Options for replacing the hitch coupling Empty Re: Options for replacing the hitch coupling

Post by Helen Thu 07 Mar 2013, 10:29 pm

Hi Chris, wish I could help you but don't worry someone will answer who knows more about this type of thing, it may be tomorrow now but there's always someone around before long who'll offer advice.
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Options for replacing the hitch coupling Empty Re: Options for replacing the hitch coupling

Post by Phoenix Thu 07 Mar 2013, 10:54 pm

That is the same hitch as the one we have on Dylan. It is an Alko hitch. Have you tried putting a bit of WD40 in the mechanism? That is what sorted ours. Smile

If not contact Alko, they will advise you of a suitable replacement.

jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Thu 07 Mar 2013, 11:08 pm

Simply undo the two bolts and remove, simple Very Happy ,well not quite but not too difficult

The rear of the two bolts is also the front mounting for the damper which is a gas strut running through the drawbar, this will try to extend unless restrained by a 10mm x 35mm (I think) pin pushed in as the bolt is removed. The drawbar is 35mm dia, this affects the head that can be used, obviously. I have never changed a head but I have replaced the rubber gaiter and so had to remove it. It is still possible without the pin in the rear bolt, just a lot more fiddly.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The one you need is the replacement for 60S/90S with 35mm tube.

There is information on it out there on the web somewhere it's just finding it Options for replacing the hitch coupling 143088812
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 08 Mar 2013, 7:44 am

Always worth checking prices here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Fri 08 Mar 2013, 8:27 am

Mr Itch's favourite seems cheapest Options for replacing the hitch coupling 1710857839

I would also fit new 12mm bolts and locknuts, torqued to the correct figure (one source I found says 60, one 80 Nm Question )
    ALKO website says 86 Nm

Cheaper inc bolts

Last edited by jake001 on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : extra link + revised torque figure)
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Fri 08 Mar 2013, 8:42 am

Just found this study

It seems to cover it pretty well Options for replacing the hitch coupling 1710857839

ChrisP
    ChrisP

Options for replacing the hitch coupling Empty Just a little supplemental question

Post by ChrisP Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:19 pm

Thanks for all your responses. As well as the basic 60S/90S with 35mm tube replacement coupling there is a locking version from Indespension see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Any thoughts on whether it is worth having a combined locking coupling, or getting a hitch lock to fit on the standard coupling.

Having no lock at all seems to invite the opportunist and having a lock will at least delay a determined thief.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 11 Mar 2013, 9:12 pm

ChrisP wrote:Thanks for all your responses. As well as the basic 60S/90S with 35mm tube replacement coupling there is a locking version from Indespension see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Any thoughts on whether it is worth having a combined locking coupling, or getting a hitch lock to fit on the standard coupling.

Having no lock at all seems to invite the opportunist and having a lock will at least delay a determined thief.

That's not cheap. I've not played with the locks but most small locks can be broken in minutes if not seconds. If you Fancy that sort of thing I'd check out Indespension's own prices. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm a fan of the cheap over hitch box perhaps with a better disc lock attached. A chain can be passed through the T bar to tether. Though the Indespension Tripplelock device has the advantage you can tow locked and it locks the Dandy to the car in services. The better quality box locks by SAS also allow this and are "Sold Secure" make sure you buy the right one though. I got one "Cheap" but can't get it to fit anything. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 11 Mar 2013, 9:16 pm

I have the standard hitch lock but looking at that I'd be tempted to get the one that locks it onto your vehicle it looks to be less messing about that any other I've seen to secure it to the vehicle ..... handy for rest stops on the way somewhere at least no one has to stay and guard Smile Depends on what you want to spend, if you want a separate device to secure it to the vehicle the prices vary but the good ones are expensive.
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

Post by ChrisP Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:13 pm

It's the option to lock it to the car that interests me most. Firstly for comfort breaks as my son is too young to dash into a service station on his own. Also for Sunday return journeys when having packed up we want to stop and visit somewhere on the way back.

It is expensive, but no more so than getting a separate lock to do the same job.
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:27 pm

If we were going to change either of our hitches we would go for one that we could lock them on to the car.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 08 May 2024, 12:38 pm