Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+4
Pollyanna
Helen
The Admiral
Tow Itch
8 posters

Read Em And Weep

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Read Em And Weep Empty Read Em And Weep

Post by Tow Itch Sun 21 Apr 2013, 12:15 pm

I have for a long time been in the smug position of having nailed the best deal I've seen on a Dandy, not anymore.
    This is even more unbelievable than it looks when you read the spec. Yes I checked it was cash on collection not a postal deal in the Highlands of Scotland.
    None of us saw this?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Admiral
    The Admiral

Read Em And Weep Empty Re: Read Em And Weep

Post by The Admiral Sun 21 Apr 2013, 12:31 pm

No missed that one, didn't come up on my saved searches. Whoever bought it got a brilliant bargain.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 21 Apr 2013, 1:06 pm

Weep I'm hysterical Crying or Very sad Sad Crying or Very sad affraid affraid affraid

perhaps we didn't spot it because it was probably only on a few minutes before it was snapped up at a buy it now price like that it's no wonder

Pollyanna
    Pollyanna

Post by Pollyanna Sun 21 Apr 2013, 1:52 pm

I hold my head in shame Embarassed I noticed it on thursday at 11.41 and it was still there. I was going to post but other things took over. Read Em And Weep 2024858757
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Sun 21 Apr 2013, 2:09 pm

That's insane. With any online trade I always work on the principle that if it looks too good to be true it probably is, but I can't see anything obviously wrong or suspicious with that.

Are you suer it was that one you saw Pollyanna? - the bid history suggests that it was sold an hour and a half after it was listed and it certainly didn't appear on my saved searches.

Pollyanna
    Pollyanna

Post by Pollyanna Sun 21 Apr 2013, 2:28 pm

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed I don't feel so bad now Embarassed Embarassed It was on completed listings. :
    navver

Post by navver Sun 21 Apr 2013, 6:33 pm

The thing that would worry me is verifying it's not stolen or doesn't have outstanding HP. A car has HPI check, a caravan has CRIS registration but what is there for Dandys.

It looked like someone needed it gone very quick, perhaps selling the house as part of a deceased's estate and just not having a clue about the value of a 5 year old Dandy. Collection was within 24hours.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 21 Apr 2013, 8:14 pm

Must admit collection within 24 hours did seem fast and the cheap price was a little too cheap, most people selling would check completed listings or have looked on the Riva site to gauge the price before selling ..... hope it's the real deal for the buyer though and they have many years of happy Dandying with it.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 24 Apr 2013, 12:44 am

Well I'm not saying it is but........

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Wed 24 Apr 2013, 7:04 am

It is though, isn't it.

And it's clearly got a lot more history than the selective photos in the original ebay ad revealed.

There's a strange modification placing a length of wood under each end of the sink unit. I wonder why that was done? You can just about see it in the ebay photos.

You can see the top box that's been fitted to the side of the drawer unit opposite the toilet in the ebay ad - I assumed it was a heater, but what's that underneath?

The toilet door seems to have been heavily modified, but again no explanation.

The Admiral
    The Admiral

Post by The Admiral Wed 24 Apr 2013, 7:11 am

Weird or what, something strange going on with this Dandy affraid
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 24 Apr 2013, 8:06 am

Someone may just have snapped it up at the price it was on ebay even though they didn't want or require a Destiny, collected it and is now selling it on to make a quick profit ..... can't say I blame them, nice little earner if you can find Dandy's at that price Twisted Evil
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Wed 24 Apr 2013, 8:50 am

Helen wrote:Someone may just have snapped it up at the price it was on ebay even though they didn't want or require a Destiny, collected it and is now selling it on to make a quick profit ..... can't say I blame them, nice little earner if you can find Dandy's at that price Twisted Evil

Certainly not, and that does seem the most likely explanation.

Still a bargain at the current price but it needs a good checking over to understand the reason for the 'repairs' and modifications that have been made in the past.

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 24 Apr 2013, 11:31 am

I've been wondering about the modifications of the loo door and wall and wonder if it was done so that the door will fold down for packing rather than having to take the door off ?
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Wed 24 Apr 2013, 6:56 pm

Helen wrote:I've been wondering about the modifications of the loo door and wall and wonder if it was done so that the door will fold down for packing rather than having to take the door off ?

I've also read a description of a 2005 Destiny (without photos unfortunately), which appeared to describe the toilet door folding. I wonder if Riva started off this way and later changed to the removable door? Do any of our members have a 2005 model?

One thing I've puzzled over is why the toilet door hinge is on the right hand side (on all models). It makes it much more awkward accessing the loo compartment.

The only reason I can think of is to protect the modesty of an occupant should the door spring open unexpectedly Embarassed

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 24 Apr 2013, 7:00 pm

I know of a 2004/5 Destiny that didn't have a folding door so I think it's something someone's done themselves, if it is for folding then it's not a bad idea Smile
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Wed 24 Apr 2013, 7:08 pm

Helen wrote:I know of a 2004/5 Destiny that didn't have a folding door so I think it's something someone's done themselves, if it is for folding then it's not a bad idea Smile

No, not a bad idea at all. Setting up the loo is an awkward process that could be much easier if the whole front wall folded. One to keep in mind for the future Smile

navver

Post by navver Wed 24 Apr 2013, 8:18 pm

Does the door hinging at the kitchen end form a dressing area by the bed with the loo door open, forming an ensuite.

Now be honest, how many of us would not have clicked that button if we'd seen it first.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 24 Apr 2013, 8:51 pm

I'd have clicked it Twisted Evil

You'd have to stand on the bed if it was meant for a changing area What a Face
    The Admiral
    The Admiral

Post by The Admiral Thu 25 Apr 2013, 10:30 pm

It's back on eBay for £3950!
    Dogs&Co

Post by Dogs&Co Thu 25 Apr 2013, 11:32 pm

Not sure if it's the same one but it looks like it's on Preloved at £3,500, mentions mods to the toilet compartment.
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Fri 26 Apr 2013, 6:37 am

Yes that's it - Tow Itch mentioned it earlier.

However it's now sold again on ebay - must be the easiest two grand anyone other than a banker has earned in a long time Surprised

Little and Large

Post by Little and Large Sun 28 Apr 2013, 12:24 am

We clicked, but clicked too late, paid £3,950 for it today! Never mind, still think we got a bargain even if he made a hefty profit. He was a very nice man Embarassed
    Picture of modified loo to follow...
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 28 Apr 2013, 12:53 am

Ah I've commented elsewhere, it was this one.

A very adult attitude. It's unimportant what it sold for last week what is important is if you are happy with what you have and what you paid for it.
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Sun 28 Apr 2013, 9:27 am

Little and Large wrote:We clicked, but clicked too late, paid £3,950 for it today! Never mind, still think we got a bargain even if he made a hefty profit. He was a very nice man Embarassed
    Picture of modified loo to follow...

Hi and welcome Little and Large - it's great that you've joined the forum as you can see that we were all fascinated by the story of this Dandy Very Happy

I agree that you still got a bargain. To put it in context, you paid just a little more in cash than we did for a similar unit earlier in the year, but we were also 'trading-in' another Dandy and awning along with that.

Really looking forward to more details of the loo. Manhandling and fitting the loo door is a bit of a faff so if there's a modification that allows it to remain in-situ and fold down I'd be interested in it. I think you need to wait a short while before the forum allows you to post photos but we'll all be looking forward to seeing more. There is some discussion of the towing and electrical matters that I've been getting to grips with on mine in the 'Technical' section of the forum. I've a couple of other projects in the offing and will keep it updated.

Also intrigued to know about the two enclosures on the side of the drawer unit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 03 May 2024, 12:06 am