Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

breakaway cable

severebrainfailure
    severebrainfailure

breakaway cable Empty breakaway cable

Post by severebrainfailure Sat 27 Apr 2013, 11:40 pm

Hi, just got our 70's dandy 4/5 last weekend. It's got rod brakes, but no breakaway cable. I was under the impression these were required for most trailers. Any thought on where it should be fitted? Had a search on the site but couldn't see anything.
    navver

breakaway cable Empty Re: breakaway cable

Post by navver Sat 27 Apr 2013, 11:45 pm

It would normally fit to the bottom of the hand brake lever so when pulled forward the top of the handbrake lever would go back and apply the brakes. When there's enough braking power the cable will snap.

I loop the cable round the towball but if it is a detatchable type you aren't allowed to.
    severebrainfailure
    severebrainfailure

Post by severebrainfailure Sat 27 Apr 2013, 11:49 pm

Mine's hooked up to a sliding adjustable hitch on the back of a landrover, so cable can go on the hitch pin, just wondered if i was missing a bit. Looks like i need to go shopping!
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 28 Apr 2013, 12:43 am

That would depend there are some very late rod brake units that might use a breakaway cable but I don't know enough about them. A picture of your coupling would help me for future reference.
    Near the base of the handbrake is there a tube that contains a spring? If so then yes you can use a breakaway cable if not then there is no energy store and your option is to fit a secondary coupling as per an unbraked trailer. As this predates the relevant legislation you do not have to fit a secondary coupling. If you are required to fit a breakaway cable you may still fit a secondary coupling.

This is a delta coupling with rod brakes that auto reverse but I can't see if the tube is there. All the other sorts of rod brakes definitely require secondary couplings.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This isn't everything I'm missing a reply from ALKO/B7B about hitches but it's a start. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Sun 28 Apr 2013, 12:58 am

best to have one as if you travel in this area our Dyfed/Powys police like to check that you have one if not fine or loose your trailer/caravan Embarassed
    severebrainfailure
    severebrainfailure

Post by severebrainfailure Sun 28 Apr 2013, 8:35 am

Still counting down the days 'til i can post photos, but it's a much older Bradley hitch, handbrake has a seperate pawl that catches in a series of teeth in the top of the hitch, i'll take a look at the bottom of that arm. Sure i've had that type of hitch on an old car transporter & that had a cable...
    fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard Sun 28 Apr 2013, 8:49 am

If i remember right the breakaway cable hooks onto a hole on the brake handle underneath the dandy, so if the trailer comes off the car it pulls the handbrake on to help put the brakes on the Dandy.
    I then attach the other end of the breakaway cable to a hole underneath the tow bar. Pete Smile
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 28 Apr 2013, 4:51 pm

severebrainfailure wrote:Still counting down the days 'til i can post photos, but it's a much older Bradley hitch, handbrake has a seperate pawl that catches in a series of teeth in the top of the hitch, i'll take a look at the bottom of that arm. Sure i've had that type of hitch on an old car transporter & that had a cable...

No I have an old green 4 with a bradley hitch all you can do is fit a secondary coupling.

As an aside the hole of about 9mm can be drilled out to about 10.5mm/11mm to fit a substantial padlock that locks the hitch closed. It can be used while travelling to prevent(Discourage) the trailer being unhitched while at motorway services etc.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 28 Apr 2013, 5:29 pm

Knew I'd posted it somewhere a picture of a Bradley hitch. Though it doesn't show the handbrake nor the pawl that catches on the serrated section.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It's on the first page where I had posted a link to the second page of Spotted Dandy On eBay [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The handbrake pivots and at its base then exerts a pulling force on the rod brakes.

Suppose we connected the breakaway cable to the base of the Handbrake. We then have a need for it to activate as the trailer uncouples.
    1) The shock load when the cable activates would snap the cable but how far would it pull the handbrake on as there is no energy store to cushion the impact and provide a spring resistive force after the cable has broken.
    2) What would lock the handbrake in place if the cable could pull the handbrake "on". The pawl on the handbrake would have locked the brakes on the first time you braked. On these hitches the handbrake lever rides up and down as the brakes are applied by the spring action of the coupling. When in motion the pawl has to be flicked back out of contact with the serrated surface. Possibly if the brakes were locked off by application of the collar that allows reversing the brakes could we leave the pawl down. In that case the cable force would be the only force that could apply the brakes. That would not be realistic however.
    severebrainfailure
    severebrainfailure

Post by severebrainfailure Sun 28 Apr 2013, 7:02 pm

So if the cable idea is a bust, what constitutes a "secondary coupling"? A big chain? And would that be a legal requirement?
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 28 Apr 2013, 7:24 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'd had some discussion and must clarify with an email to NTTA but I believe "I" may be incorrect as a pre 1982 trailer pre dates the law, but why would you not fit a coupling?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The examples to the right are fine as would be a suitable thickness of chain.

Though not advised (in case like a breakaway cable it might jump off) a secondary coupling CAN go round the towball. It is there to save you from the consequences of uncoupling NOT mechanical failure.
    severebrainfailure
    severebrainfailure

Post by severebrainfailure Sun 28 Apr 2013, 9:23 pm

Thanks tow. I have some suitable chain and fittings, will have a look at making one. Will post photos for thoughts before using in anger.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 07 May 2024, 2:23 am