Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

2 posters

Dandy sun canopy

navver

Dandy sun canopy Empty Dandy sun canopy

Post by navver Sun 19 May 2013, 9:12 pm

We put up the Dandy PVC sun canopy today. It's white with matching dark blue legs at the front. I must admit it was fiddly to put up.

I set up the frame, then put the canopy on top of the frame, then put the front sticking out bits through the end, then fastened the back of the canopy to the press studs on the poles, then fed the end through and tied to the inner poles.Then set up guys. I think this is the standard way. However, I wasn't happy at having the front legs low because it looks like it bends the hooks and it is difficult unrolling the canopy on top of the frame.

Could I do it this way?

Feed the canopy through into the dandy and tie to dandy inner roof bars.
    Assemble the front canopy frame, 2 legs, eaves poles and 3 crosses. Legs can be low but needs two people.
    Put roof poles into canopy pockets and secure with guys. This will then stretch the canopy between the front frame and dandy.
    Raise front legs to full height. Loosen guys slightly.
    Insert a canopy roof pole into a cross, fasten press stud then hook the pole onto dandy. Repeat for the other poles.

Or is there an easier way?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Dandy sun canopy Empty Re: Dandy sun canopy

Post by Helen Mon 20 May 2013, 8:35 am

John always stands on the step to get the middle bit onto the frame, I then put each side of the canopy over the frame, he puts the centre pocket in place while stood on the step and then we go to each side and put those pockets on before we fold back. We put the frame up, then put the canopy on still part folded ... inserting the front into the pockets while it's all still folded in one long length and then we fold the roof back towards the Dandy then tie off all the time we are unfolding we are loosely securing each guy as we go.

When taking it down we untie inside then each go to opposite sides of the canopy and fold towards the front ... the middle bit comes with us as we fold, we throw the bit closet the Dandy towards the front up to the next rope then pull that rope out pull the folded bit tight so it's neat and fold again and so on. When we reach the front with folded roof still on the frame we undo the flaps from the front legs and then ease out of the front pockets and lift the whole thing off the frame onto the ground already folded into one length, we then fold the legs flaps in and continue to fold inwards so it fits in it's bag. The legs are always a little low but to get it back on the frame when we next erect it the aid of the step helps us get the canopy over the middle (highest bit) of the frame and we then fold it back towards the Dandy, if windy this means that we can peg the ropes as we go along and adjust as necessary once it's all up without the worry of it lifting in the wind. The leg flaps can be too long and we do them last, I fold the longer bit up the leg then wrap the bungee around the flap and leg before pegging down.

We had one incident when we first got our Dandy when we didn't secure the canopy with it's ropes as we went along, the wind lifted it and the frame because the front pockets were inserted it really lifted so much so that it came close to one of the legs crashing down onto the car ..... may have been the angle we were stood at that made it look such a close call but it did cause damage to the frame (bending the corner bracket and a pole) made us consider how we put the canopy up and take it down.
    navver

Post by navver Mon 20 May 2013, 10:24 am

Thanks Helen, that's really helpful. It's amazing how much the voice of experience helps. That pegging as you go seems to be the key. Mine just kept sliding forwards & off the frame when we tried rolling back. Luckily I'm 6'4" so can reach quite high. I can put the dandy centre roof bar in from the ground with no trouble.

One small point, the dandy sun canopy instructions Ian gave me say the leg flap passes under the leg then bungees up to the leg adjusting screw. With the screw on the inside this looks really neat and is another means of holding the front down on the frame.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 20 May 2013, 11:12 am

yep it looks great like that and very neat .... however I prefer to have two whacking great pegs holding it all (frame included) to the floor as they're the last pegs we remove when taking it down. Probably not necessary as by that time there's nothing much for the wind to get under and lift as it's already folded to the front ..... I just like enormous pegs holding it all down Twisted Evil

another thing is that when it's really windy the middle bit can lift .... we don't have a centre pole on our canopy. I take a guy rope with a loop on one end, pass it over the middle front pole ..... thread it through then it comes straight down to the ground where I whack in another peg with a huge lump hammer Laughing

I also put a storm strap over the canopy, twisting it so that we don't get the helicopter sound ..... with my storm strap I use ratchets although we are always careful not to over tighten them I just feel better with it on.

Can you tell I have paranoia about strong winds lol!

We do tend to stay put though even when everyone else has the sense to go home should there be a severe weather warning, we once caught the tale end of a serious storm and the sound of the wind hitting was as though a truck had slammed into the Dandy, the front pvc walls bellied inwards .... on another occasion lightening hit the road/path too close for comfort and last season I was surrounded by water on several occasions ..... the farmer rescued the Dandy fully erected (we pulled the legs up) just in time and rehoused me and my Dandy in a large barn affraid

People at Johns works now ask if the Dandy's coming out because they will cancel their plans for any outdoor activities lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 09 May 2024, 5:36 pm