Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

Windbreaks

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Windbreaks Empty Windbreaks

Post by Helen Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:39 pm

I do like my windbreaks and over the years have tried several types, the cheap and cheerful stripy ones that they sell at most seaside resorts are okay but they make and awful racket at night if its windy......... Sounds like a hundred plastic bags being scrunched at high volume.

We also have one of the new Outwell types with windows in the top and folding metal poles with guy ropes. They look great but we ended up with the spike left in the ground and lost a couple of them, they do tend to fall down in strong wind and also we ended up falling over the guy ropes.

We now use the ones with wooden poles that you knock into the ground but the material is a fabric and doesn't make much sound at all even when its windy. We even add a few guy ropes over the poles if it is very windy but this is usually on the outside so we don't trip.

Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Windbreaks Empty Re: Windbreaks

Post by Nick Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:51 pm

helen wrote:

We now use the ones with wooden poles that you knock into the ground but the material is a fabric and doesn't make much sound at all even when its windy. We even add a few guy ropes over the poles if it is very windy but this is usually on the outside so we don't trip.

that's the type we want,they are not cheap but as you say no guy lines all over place.I don't think we will invest in one this year as our Outwell one was a crimbo present so we best use it some more.I don't understand why we had 7 guy lines for 5poles when we clearly need 10 or the middle wobbles all over the place.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 29 Jun 2011, 7:03 pm

NickB wrote:
    helen wrote:

that's the type we want,they are not cheap but as you say no guy lines all over place.I don't think we will invest in one this year as our Outwell one was a crimbo present so we best use it some more.I don't understand why we had 7 guy lines for 5poles when we clearly need 10 or the middle wobbles all over the place.

Helen is the expert on windbrakes cheers we have a couple of fabric ones they are good but we also have a low stripey one for the beach.
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Wed 29 Jun 2011, 7:42 pm

see these bad boys you need deep pockets though and a real passion for windbreaks,any takers [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Wed 29 Jun 2011, 7:49 pm

god nick don't be showing helen things like that or she'll be sending john out to get some lol
    vickoir
    vickoir
    Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir Wed 29 Jun 2011, 7:53 pm

Eilis wrote:god nick don't be showing helen things like that or she'll be sending john out to get some lol

i'd love one but the make stuff part of me thinks i could make one as good for half the price affraid
    i meand they the same price as a pair of GHD's Wink
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 29 Jun 2011, 7:55 pm

NickB wrote:see these bad boys you need deep pockets though and a real passion for windbreaks,any takers [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That's okay Nick, I had seen something similar to use to keep animals in, you could get them in all sorts of colours and I decided that they would be fantastic as windbreaks, they did cost a small fortune though so John wouldn't let me Sad I would have loved some. Crying or Very sad
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Wed 29 Jun 2011, 8:01 pm

oh that meanie John lol

such cruelty is unacceptable we must heal you with wine over the weekend Wink
    vickoir
    vickoir
    Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir Wed 29 Jun 2011, 8:08 pm

Eilis wrote:oh that meanie John lol

depends on how deep those wounds are Crying or Very sad eilis we may need vodka or barcardi Windbreaks 3943490063
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Wed 29 Jun 2011, 8:12 pm

and possibly chocolate to prevent permanent scarring I love you
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 30 Jun 2011, 6:21 am

vickoir wrote:
    Eilis wrote:oh that meanie John lol

depends on how deep those wounds are Crying or Very sad eilis we may need vodka or barcardi Windbreaks 3943490063

Very very deep Windbreaks 3943490063

As for the price of fabric windbreaks I did once make some using the wooden poles off one of the cheap scrunchy sounding ones and went to a very cheap fabric shop and bought some material like you have on a deck chair, they were a bit heavy though and I would have been better off buying some fabric more suitable off ebay this is just an example and if you have time to look at rip-stop nylon on ebay you will probably find some cheaper.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Thu 30 Jun 2011, 7:40 am

ooh that's lovely

i have come to the conclusion i need a sewing machine if i am to pimp my dandy Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 7:28 pm