Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

4 posters

Bed frame repair

jake001
    jake001

Bed frame repair Empty Bed frame repair

Post by jake001 Wed 21 Aug 2013, 8:03 pm

As some of you know (well Helen and Kevin Smile ) I have a nasty crack in one bed frame corner as shown below:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The other side is not as bad, but still requires attention:

So today I went to see the design authority ( Ian ) to see what the recommended repair scheme is. I came away with two pieces of 1" x 1/8" x 3" aluminium angle and some rivets for £5. It was worth that for the advice Very Happy 

Whilst I was there I saw a Designer with white powder coated minilite wheels being sold on behalf of a customer, I wonder who's that could be Question
    If you have any stickers left, Vicky, Ian would like one for his office window Smile
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Bed frame repair Empty Re: Bed frame repair

Post by Helen Wed 21 Aug 2013, 9:12 pm

Glad it's getting sorted Jake Bed frame repair 1710857839 I was panicking about mine and not wanting to put weight on the bed until I saw Jakes, I thought my bed was going to fall apart the minute I sat on it What a Face mine's a hairline crack just on top of the frame ........ John's going to weld it this weekend as the farmer has aluminium welding gear and kindly offered it's use Bed frame repair 184121345  You can see it here but bear in mind this is a seriously close up shot ...... although it hasn't gone down the sides like Jakes, we are going to do it to stop it getting any further. In all honesty we don't know how long it's been there and we only spotted it because I was making sure everything was cleaned to within and inch of it's life for the meet lol! Perhaps Jake rolls about on his bed more than us Twisted Evil 

It's so fine that to get a picture of it I had to hold the camera practically on top of it so it's blurred Bed frame repair 2024858757 

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:17 am

Sorry Helen a John question. Does the farmer have an AC TIG welder or are you trying to MIG weld aluminium. If the latter I'd be interested in your observations. If you use a brass backing for MIG is it a heat sink as generally described or actually a heat store?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 22 Aug 2013, 8:50 am

Hi Kevin ....... in this case John is the farmer (site owner) and the welder, my John can weld mild steel and Mig but hasn't done aluminium before. John (the farmer) mended Gordon's caravan canopy after the wind damaged it (that was an aluminium frame) Gordon was going to scrap it because it was aluminium but John (the farmer) kindly offered to weld it for him and has offered us the same for our Dandy. The Farm/site has a hand in lots of pots, they also have a haulage business amongst other things and around the back (where the campers can't go) the equipment they have is unbelievable so I'd imagine they also have  a TIG welder.

I'll let you know when I find out for sure myself ...... should be back for Tuesday x
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Thu 22 Aug 2013, 9:57 am

Just for information Ian (Riva) used to weld them, that's how they were made presumably, but he hasn't got the capability anymore Sad 
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Sat 24 Aug 2013, 5:29 pm

This is what I did so far this BH weekend Very Happy 

Looking at the thickness of the original I think that it is now stronger than new and should cope with the extra stress of the gas struts better. Perhaps the corners should be strengthened whenever struts are fitted as I had to remove the strut in order to close the crack at the other end before fitting the repair plate Shocked
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Sat 24 Aug 2013, 8:27 pm

Bed frame repair 2197500976 that look great and as you say stronger Bed frame repair 2161515090 
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 25 Aug 2013, 9:26 am

Great job Jake, may be an idea to put them on all corners just to reinforce and stop any others going ........ mine still needs doing, it's bedlam here this weekend with 4 fields open and full Shocked so there hasn't been any time to get it seen to.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 01 Sep 2013, 10:46 am

My repair didn't get done this time Sad 

In all fairness though it was a busy week for John (the farmer) as they were busy working all hours getting the crops cut, bailing and wrapping while the weather held out. It's not urgent so we can wait until next time

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 01 Sep 2013, 11:28 am

jake001 wrote:This is what I did so far this BH weekend Very Happy 

Looking at the thickness of the original I think that it is now stronger than new and should cope with the extra stress of the gas struts better. Perhaps the corners should be strengthened whenever struts are fitted as I had to remove the strut in order to close the crack at the other end before fitting the repair plate Shocked
    Sorry Jake I missed this post from you. Looking at your repair I can guess where Ian got the bracket material from, can you?
    Wonder if he buys it in or it's still left over from the early Browns?
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 01 Sep 2013, 11:42 am

The guy who did the gas struts in The Midlands (nice guy met him and bought some stuff off him) always reinforced the corners when fitting struts.
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Sun 01 Sep 2013, 5:48 pm

Not this one he didn't, to the best of my knowledge the struts were fitted by Rich, he certainly did some work on it for the previous owner (I have a piece paper with his signature on it Shocked )

Yes they were cut from a piece of angle ally that was lying around the workshop, it even had one 5mm hole ready drilled Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 07 May 2024, 4:53 am