Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

Solway View CCC CL

Owd Lad
    Owd Lad

Solway View CCC CL Empty Solway View CCC CL

Post by Owd Lad Tue 05 Jul 2011, 5:24 pm

In the item I did about campsites in Southern Scotland I mentioned a few sites but didn't have any photos to post. So I thought that a few pictures and a few remarks about individual sites could be helpful. This might take some time as I don't actually visit many of the sites too often. Most of the sites seem to have their own websites but a few extra photos and comments never go amiss.

SOLWAY VIEW is a CCC Certified Location, situated about 6miles outside Kirkcudbright. To get there follow the A75 past Castle Douglas and turn left onto A711 towards Kirkcudbright. As you enter the town turn right at the first corner shop (painted blue) and cross the bridge over the River Dee. Then turn first left (SP Borgue) and follow the Dee estuary for some four miles, turning left at the SP for Brighouse Bay & Ross Bay. A mile along this road turn left towards Ross Bay and you will come across the campsite about a mile further on, on the left. There is a request to book in at Balmangan farmhouse, about a hundred yards on the right before the site, before taking up occupancy. The site is affiliated to the CCC and Pat & Neil, the proprietors are quite strict about members only. There are a few hardstandings with EHUs near the entrance and the amenities block and then there is the camping field, a short distance away which has a further ten EHUs out of some eighteen, well spaced, marked piches. All the pitches have a 'picnic bench' and a 'fire pit'
    The site is raised giving views over the Dee Estuary and is open all year round. The site also has three 'Wig Wams' for hire, by anybody who may enjoy the pleasures of staying in a wooden, tent shaped basic cabin. These will sleep up to five, have electric, heating, kettle & microwave. Adjacent to the camping field is a 'mess hut'. Basic but equipped with cooking equipment and a couple of trestle tables and benches. It gives the opportunity for a family or group to eat and spend time together out of the elements. For nice days the door open wide giving a view over the river mouth.
    Prices are £10 or £11 per night (depending on time of year) for a pitch for two people. Awnings are a couple of quid more and electric hookup is a further £3.25. Children invoke a further small charge but dogs are free. Wigwams work out at £30/night.
    This is a nicely kept little site. Each year sees money being spent on it and improvements being made. If your bag is 'manicured and immaculate' then perhaps it's not for you but it is tidy and clean.

Site entrance
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Toilet Block

Hardstanding area

Clothes drying tent

Wigwams

Camping field

View from the edge of the site

Mess Hut

Couple of views of Ross Bay (a short way past the site and not quite a beach but nice to have a look at.)

I hope that this is of help, at least to CCC members

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Solway View CCC CL Empty Re: Solway View CCC CL

Post by Helen Tue 05 Jul 2011, 5:37 pm

Fantastic review and some great pictures too, thanks I will put it on our review map. Very Happy
    vickoir
    vickoir
    Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir Fri 08 Jul 2011, 6:58 pm

one word only- STUNNING
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Fri 08 Jul 2011, 9:40 pm

i am sold on that Very Happy
    Terry Baynham
    Terry Baynham

Solway View CCC CL Empty Solway View

Post by Terry Baynham Tue 22 May 2012, 4:11 pm

Me and April have camped there. The place is fantastic. One of the things about this area of Scotland is that people tend to drive past Dumfries and Galloway in a rush to get to the Highlands. The Solway coast is one of Scotlands hidden gems and Solway View one of its nicest campsites. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 2:03 pm