Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

4 posters

Some photo's of our newly aquired Dandy

willicrew
    willicrew

Some photo's of our newly aquired Dandy  Empty Some photo's of our newly aquired Dandy

Post by willicrew Wed 19 Feb 2014, 6:23 pm

Hi, now that we finally have the weather we have been able to open up our dandy for the first tiome since we bought it a week ago!!!!! As you may have seen from my last post I was feeling very daunted by having purchased an old dandy.  However, feeling more positive now and today the sun was shining so that was a bonus!!!! So here are some photos of "Kermit" - we named him today as he is green!!!! goes well with "Kevin" our Landrover. I started to clean a portion of the roof and have posted photos so you can see the difference - where I have cleaned and where I haven't.  I will take some photos of the inside tomorrow.  Our plans are to paint the trailer body yellow to match our Landy as well as the door.  He needs a new trailer cover as the one we have leaks - any recommendations - would like a green one if possible. Here are the photos..............

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Some photo's of our newly aquired Dandy  Empty Re: Some photo's of our newly aquired Dandy

Post by Helen Thu 20 Feb 2014, 8:34 pm

Kermit's cleaning up lovely ..... great name for a green un.  Some photo's of our newly aquired Dandy  2170595768 

willicrew
    willicrew

Some photo's of our newly aquired Dandy  Empty Re: Some photo's of our newly aquired Dandy

Post by willicrew Thu 20 Feb 2014, 9:36 pm

Thank you Helen - I ache all over as cleaned the rest of the roof today - hands are sore too from the Cif!!!!!  All in all its taken me well over 4 hours!!! but well worth it. Some photo's of our newly aquired Dandy  115684958
    navver

Post by navver Thu 20 Feb 2014, 9:57 pm

Well done. It is worth the effort as thankfully dandies come up like new. I spent several evenings doing mine when I got it.

Try a bit of Mr Sheen or similar after to give it a nice shine and do the inside as well. Polishing the inside of the roof makes it much easier to erect.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 21 Feb 2014, 12:27 am

Looking at the pictures the flaps for the awning are vertical so looking like 60s hence I'm confused by a plastic tub. That was definitely late 70s.
    Do you have the awning?
    A cover. Undercover Mick isn't cheap but no one says anything other than nice things about his work. His adverts have just lapsed on eBay [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  also see  http://www.dandycampers.org/t1390-new-trailer-cover
    How are you for length? More tea vicar? Perhaps more correctly height, my green cover is a bit short. Mick will alter the cover to your request. Can't find it at the moment but Mick did a deeper cover for Mike's 6. A real class piece of work. If you know someone who does curtainside material then ask them for a price. If you mention here Mick might knock off a few quid but the big thing is you won't have to worry, you will get a straight job off Mick.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 21 Feb 2014, 6:04 pm

Have you ever thought someone could have loved green enough to specifically ask for it ..... perhaps it's a late 70's Dandy but someone wanted it to be green like the older ones ...... I would have had green if the only other option was all brown too ...... nothing against the brown ones but I do like Green. I remember an early designer that was in the brown and white variation simply because the person who ordered it wanted it those colours and Shauns Dandy had an all brown interior even though it was fully insulated so would normally have been white.   

Perhaps there was some green pvc left in stock Wink
    willicrew
    willicrew

Post by willicrew Sat 22 Feb 2014, 5:45 pm

Hi - thanks for all your feedback - have had a look on website re: covers and they look good - do you think deeper covers are better?  also not sure what colour cover to go for - yellow body on trailer when painted and to match our Landy my hubby said white - which would look good but I suspect would discolour quickly???? or could I just keep cleaning it like the Dandy roof.  Been busy with the sewing machine making curtains, cushion covers etc.... as felt I needed to rest my hands after the epic clean of the roof!  Needless to say I have searched car boots for material and bought it all cheap to recycle.  Been to a jumble sale today and bought 2 vintage deckchairs for 25p each - not wood ones though but fold up white ones.  Also bought a green curtain which I am going to use to pull across the door at night - that was 40p!!!!! Lastly got some lovely glasses - not plastic but specially for caravans etc .. I know they are quite expensive if bought new - 10p each and they are like new!!!! Yes I am a bit of a bargain hunter.

Some more photos of Kermit - taken when the roof was nearly clean all over and some inside shots before refurbishment.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 28 Feb 2014, 4:10 pm

Helen wrote:Have you ever thought someone could have loved green enough to specifically ask for it ..... perhaps it's a late 70's Dandy but someone wanted it to be green like the older ones ...... I would have had green if the only other option was all brown too ...... nothing against the brown ones but I do like Green. I remember an early designer that was in the brown and white variation simply because the person who ordered it wanted it those colours and Shauns Dandy had an all brown interior even though it was fully insulated so would normally have been white.   

Perhaps there was some green pvc left in stock Wink

Thought I'd already replied to this. must have gone on to next subject when only previewed not sent.

I remember that brown one. it had a fabric awning and the main bed was wider than normal.

Have you ever thought someone could have loved green enough to specifically ask for it ..... perhaps it's a late 70's Dandy but someone wanted it to be green like the older ones ......
    For sure, never say never. There must be all sorts of one offs that Dandy turned out. My confusion was that at some point in the late 60's or early 70's the awning (and the associated tabs on the front wall) went from vertical. (Like Cazz and Wayne's) to angled (Like mine) the plastic tubs came later. So I'd assume that if a plastic sided 5 was made as a special request then it would have angled awning tabs not vertical.
    Of course  a ply tubbed Dandy could have been damaged then re skinned in PVC or it could just be one of Dandys mysteries?
    navver

Post by navver Fri 28 Feb 2014, 9:28 pm

It's got the kitchen wall support bar on the front as well like Pheonix. Not sure when that came and went.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 03 Mar 2014, 8:40 am

Looks really good inside, someone's spent some time sprucing it up in there.  Very Happy 
    willicrew
    willicrew

Post by willicrew Mon 03 Mar 2014, 11:51 am

Thanks Helen - I haven't started sprucing up interior yet - watch this space - I have made curtain and cushions etc..... and have bought green carpet tiles for the floor. The inside is in pretty good nick all things considered. Have painted one side of the trailer tub canary yellow to match our Landrover - its bright for sure but goes really well with the green.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 03 Mar 2014, 12:24 pm

If you need any tyres during the work have you thought about some old Firestone "Town and Country" tyres to help with a semi Sankey trailer appearance. Thought the background colours were quite appropriate for this.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 8:07 pm